http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep/03/entertainment/la-et-jump-the-shark-20100903

In 1987, Jon Hein and his roommates at the University of Michigan were drinking
beer and had Nick at Nite playing in the background. They started talking about
classic TV shows when someone asked, "What was the precise moment you knew it
was downhill for your favorite show?" One said it was when Vicki came on board
"The Love Boat." Another thought it was when the Great Gazoo appeared on "The
Flintstones." Sean Connolly offered, "That's easy: It was when Fonzie jumped
the shark." As Hein later recounted, there was silence in the room: "No
explanation necessary, the phrase said it all."

If I had been in the room, however, I would have broken that silence of
self-assuredness, for I wrote that now infamous episode of "Happy Days."

And more than three decades later, I still don't believe that the series
"jumped the shark" when Fonzie jumped the shark.