In the multi-output case, you have sets of labels for each of the
outputs. Say you are predicting pairs and the first element can be [-1, 1]
while and the second can be [1,2,3,4].

The classes in this case are [[-1,1], [1,2,3,4]]

For the single output case, predicting a label in [1,2,3,4] would look like
[[1,2,3,4]] and no second array since there is only one output. We are
proposing to flatten this case to match up with other non-multi-class
classifiers--it would now be just [1,2,3,4].

Doug