As much as possible, parameters to a model should be specified to the class
constructor, not methods, even if application is there. This has been the
scikit-learn design for a while in order to enable things like grid search
and a bare-bones pipeline implementation. So external projects adding
additional args to predict may not have been correctly designed (and it's
easy enough for you to inherit from their model to fix the problem by
moving that param to the constructor). It may be valid to add a param to
predict when: (a) it is data-dependent, e.g. a parallel array to the
feature array; or (b) it modifies the output format of predict, e.g. to
return error as in GaussianProcess. Any uses of this are fundamentally
custom approaches for which Pipeline already has reduced utility, but I can
see how forwarding kwargs may give a minor convenience.