The R2 function in scikit-learn works fine. A negative means that the
regression model fits the data worse than a horizontal line representing the
sample mean. E.g. you usually get that if you are overfitting the training set
a lot and then apply that model to the test set. The econometrics book probably
didn't cover applying a model to an independent data or test set, hence the [0,
1] suggestion.

Cheers,
Sebastian