Concerning Re: [scite] Find in all buffers
April White wrote on 13 Jun 2005, 21:31, at least in part:

> I remember to mentioning that.  There have been times over the years
> at work when viewing and editing a file in hex or binary mode was
> useful.  Having that built into the editor I used was more convenient
> - I was familiar with the interface, it had the same extensive search
> and replace abilities, and other advantages.

Very true, April.  OTOH we all know those huge apps doing about 
anything(and perhaps nothing too well), including taking a week for 
loading.  So in the end the regular user will prefer a dedicated app 
while the less regular user prefers the known environment over 
sophisticated functionality.

> Sometimes it is merely to be able to view a file in a binary/hex mode.

Lister, the file viewer in Total Commander, can switch between 
several modes, including hex, text, HTML, graphic.  It is also 
available separately for free, and there's a plug-in allowing to 
convert it into an editor.  Haven't used this plug-in since ages, 
though I doubt it can hex edit, too.  So it is but half of what you'd 
like to have.  Best use of Lister is, of course, within Total 
Commander where a single key stroke brings it up displaying the 
selected files, or set up as viewer in other apps, eg for dangerous 
email attachments.

Have a great day!

Jan Hendrik

> I got rid of my husband.
> The cat was allergic.

Which of the two?  Or is there but one cat? <GG>
---------------------------------------
Freedom quote:

     The only justifiable purpose of political institutions
     is to assure the unhindered development of the individual.
                -- Albert Einstein

_______________________________________________
Scite-interest mailing list
[email protected]
http://mailman.lyra.org/mailman/listinfo/scite-interest

Reply via email to