Dave,

My humble suggestions:

1) Please put all poll loops for status change etc. in the IFD_HANDLER.
   The IX36/56 driver will eventually sleep on IRQ for this...

   Maybe there are more readers that can send IRQ on status change?

2) Your monitor process is a step towards the Windows PC/SC way of
   allocating and activating everything in sight.  Be careful ;-)

   If you can, consider to avoid keeping ports open and readers active
   when no application actually uses them. Saves power (laptops may
   power down inactive PCMCIA readers!) and system resources.
   Might reduce IRQ conflicts in some COM port crowded machines too.

   Also, don't repeat the Windows PC/SC mistake of keeping the card
   powered up all the time.  Thus using the emergency power down as
   normal practise at card removal, even when the application has
   deactivated the card for removal. :-(

Best Regards

Morten