On 09.07.2013 00:53, Russel Winder wrote:
On Mon, 2013-07-08 at 20:18 +0200, Dirk Bächle wrote:
On 08.07.2013 18:32, Managan, Rob wrote:
[...]
For a bash shell then the equal sign is correct but you need to change
setenv to export.

That is what I was trying to convey in the first email.
Ahhh, okay. I got it now.

Maybe we should take some action about this. Instead of all this long
writing about how a proper shell script should look like, we could
simply provide one for Linux and Windows each?
I can publish the first samples in a pull request...my Linux version
would be based on "bash" though (let the wars begin ;) ).
So what is/was the role of bootstrap.py which had been touted as the way
of using a SCons checkout live?
In my view, bootstrap.py is more for creating the build packages. It can also copy together a local working copy (the "bootstrap" folder), which is fine for most cases when you simply want to start SCons without fully installing it.

But I'm doing some speed measurements and profiling with various revisions at the moment, so I don't want to get the overhead of checking for existing files and copying them, in the way of my results.
That's why I prefer a simple script in this case...

Dirk