David Kilpatrick wrote:

> Nigel Gatherer wrote:

> > I found this border ballad in an old scrapbook...Anyone know of it?

> ...Nigel, you quote her what are supposed to be the ONLY SURVIVING LINES
> of the lost ballad. If you have more than this, you're on to something,
> unless you have the 'reconsructed' version (see below)...

I'll need to check the scrapbook again. The first line in the cutting is
"There's freedom for me and my men" and the song has 7 verses of about
eight lines each (working on memory here). It mentions several place
names, such as  Liddesdale, Wheel - something; now my memory lets me down.

I think the date of the cutting is 1892, but I'll check. I'll probably be
back in the library on Saturday, when I'll copy the whole ballad. I got
the impression that it wasn't one of the over-ornate ballad imitations,
but as to whether it's the lost ballad, I can't say at this point. Watch
this space...

--
Nigel Gatherer, Crieff  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
The Scottish Music Pages: