> What's your involvement with Scots music?

My website will tell you most of what you need to know, but basically I have
been active in the research, performance and recording of historical
Scottish music from the medieval times to around Burns' time, mainly on
lutes and guitars, citterns, etc. I hail fae Dundee, but now bide in
Tayport.

There are about 500 surviving Scottish lute pieces from the 17th century,
which in style can be described as the roots of what we now call Scottish
traditional music (not the 'C' word: celtic). The manuscripts contain the
earliest known settings of the tunes for Flowers of the Forest, Auld Lang
Syne and other great airs.

I also play an original 'guittar' (correct spelling) from c.1765. The first
main tutor for this instrument - which is more like a cittern than a
guitar - was published in Edinburgh in 1758 by Robert Bremner. I am
researching a history of the guitar and cittern in Scotland.

I notice from Nigel Gatherer's website that he is indeed the man responsible
for the book on the traditional songs and ballads of Dundee. My hat off to
you, Sir. I had a lump in my throat when I first read it. A beautiful book.
I can still hear my gran singing some o they sangs.

But I really joined this list to see what others are saying, not to promote
what I do. So, on wi't.
Rob
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.robmackillop.com