Someone mentioned that the birl is played on the beat, which is what I would
expect, although I am not a fiddler. The only reference I have found to
ornaments in Scottish music being played before the beat is in Alastair
Hardie's 'The Caledonian Companion'. He published my traditional guitar
book, and I recall crossing swords with him over this. Is it the tradition
within the Scots fiddling world to play ornaments before the beat? It seems
a very classical music type of approach, to me. I once turned on the radio
and heard a slow air played on the fiddle. It was clear to me that the
player had had a classical violin education, at least in his or her youth.
At the end of the performance, the radio announcer said it was ..... - one
of the biggest names in Scottish traditional music. And I am reminded of
Skinner taking issue with those who called him a fiddler as opposed to a
violinist. Is the entire foundation of Scots fiddling today based upon a
classical aesthetic? And is CB fiddling regarded as being closer to the
roots of early Scots fiddle playing? I ask in all innocence. And now that
the blue touch paper has been lit, I stand back to watch the fireworks...

Rob
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.robmackillop.com