Stuart opined:
> The principal conclusions are:
>
> 1    Skinner could certainly do it
> 2    The birl is very fast ( 0.320 sec, approx)
> 3    The third note is considerably longer than the first two in the
> proportions 1 : 1 : 3
>
> This is a birl as part of the melody of the tune - for many fiddlers its an
> optional extra or ornament but I would suggest that the principal is the
> same.
>
> Any other thoughts and comments?

Enough of this idle speculation re birls- let's follow Dr Eydmann's example
and introduce some science into the discussion.

I spent today in the lab and analysed 4 specimens representing different
fiddle styles:

1.  Peerie Ceecil Pottinger, from Yell, Shetland.

A sample taken from Peerie Ceecil's 'Muckla Skerry a' Three' provided a fine
example of the Shetland 'crunch'- timed at 15.2 eydmenn (+/- .4)

2.  Tommy Peoples, Donegal

Tommy's 'Bucks of Oranmore' yielded a 'crackle' of 19.7 eydmenn (+/- .2)

3   F. Scott Skinner (J Scott's wee brother)

'Deil in the Kitchen', a snap measured 14.3, and a birl of 34 eydmenn, showing
remarkable consistency with Dr Eydmann's findings.  I should note that
Skinner's birls varied according to how frequently my assistant cranked the
gramophone.

4    Ron Gonella didn't favour the birl, but like other Scottish vilinists,
used the 'pop', which is very neat, but relatively slow, at 52 eydmenn.

I faxed the results to Tommy Peoples' agent, Max O'Kellogg in Dublin, and got
this reply:

'Thank you for your communication.  Mr Peoples is currently in high altitude
training in preparation for the World Championships.
Your figures are similar to previous findings by Trinity College Dublin,
although these were done at sea level.
There is currently a proposal awaiting funding from Brussels to have Tommy
taken to the CERN labs beneath the Swiss Alps.  Here the 5 km testing chamber
can give more accurate result by ruling out Doppler effects from movements of
the fiddle, and interference from cosmic birls.
We will keep you posted.'

Derek