>That tune is known in America as "the Streets of Laredo". Someone here claims
>copyright to those words and the familiar melody (also used for the Bard of
>Armagh) and that someone will not allow me permission to use it if I sell the
>book outside of the U.S., which as a book for the CLARSACH I most certainly
>want to do! (All the other tunes in the book are public domain.)

Cynthia -
        I'm really really surprised that someone actually claims this
song..  And that the claim would deter you.  I seem to recall that I
first came across the tune and words for the Streets of Laredo" in an
old John/Allan Lomax book and it had to have been collected some time
before that.  I didn't think there'd be any tunes in those
collections that would be copyrightable.   After all, they were
pirated by the Lomaxes.   :-)
  I'll have to go dig in my books in storage to find what I'm remembering.

Maybe there's even a reference to the Unfortunate Rake. I'll look tomorrow.

John
--
90 Trefethen Ave
Peaks Island, ME  04108