on 3/1/2001 3:39 am, Toby Rider at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Yes, I have a bunch of mainland Scottish atists I'm trying to work into
> the rotation, plus others I have on my list to digitize. Most of what is
> playing now it stuff I already had handy in mp3 format.

How does this work? I've got about half a dozen genuinely Scottish mp3
tracks on my mp3 page - though none of them are what people call celtic
these days, they're Border and NE ballads. I have an mp3.com 'radio station'
called Border Sounds which also uses whatever Scottish Border-related
material I can find.

However, it must already exist on mp3.com for me to do this, and converting
any existing recording to mp3 format or RealAudio and placing it on internet
is a breach of copyright without express permission. So far I have only been
able to obtain permission from artists whose recordings I have made
personally - other record labels are not interested in allowing any comer to
uplift their stock in trade and stick it on internet!

So the 'have on my list to digitize' statement is interesting. How do you go
about obtaining copyright clearance?

David Kilpatrick