> Jack Campin wrote:
>
> > > More Skinner trivia: at his funeral, "Lochaber No More" was played
> > > at his grave by G S Maclennan...
>
> > I've been puzzled about that ever since I read it.  GS died later the
> > same year, and had been too ill to work for years.  I'd assumed he
> > had cancer, but maybe not.  What kind of terminal illness leaves
> > somebody totally disabled but still able to get up and do a
> > performance like that?

I've certainly seen some really unhealthy musicians summon up the energy to put
on a great show.
Bluegrass legend Bill Monroe was known on more than one occassion to go from the
hospital to the stage. Jazz Violinist Stephane Grappelli was very feeble the
last time I saw him, but when he picked up that violin, he was young again. My
late friend, fiddler extraordinaire Randy Howard, was performing and doing
session work while dying of kidney cancer. Up to a few weeks before his death he
was on stage, doing what he loved. And he still sounded great! The power of
music and the desire to perform can do wonders.

http://www.danmozell.com