I was wondering about the opinions or factual information of list
members concerning the difference in traditional Scottish fiddle music
and the other genre's of what's now-a-day's called traditional "Celtic"
music.  I suppose that would mean Irish ( and it's all inclusive
geographical styles ), Welch, Northern English, etc., etc.
I understand that the Scots have "Strathspeys" but the others all have
reels, jigs, airs, etc. as well.
Just what would be the deciding factor that would make it Scots Fiddle
music if you didn't know the origin or author?  Or is there an answer to
this.  I know the Scots did use Cello's in some of their tunes and the
dances and some instruments are different ( pipes, whistles ) but I'm
talking soley about style.
I have a good inkling that you probably can't seperate the history and
geography and base differences strickly on the music itself, but I was
just wondering if anyone on the list could elaborate.
I also know that there are influences such as German, Scandinavian, and
others from neighboring countries but still I wonder about "distinct"
differences that if I were to hear a tune that was unknown to me, how
would I know if it was trad. Scots? ......... or not?

Kurious Keith