On 11 Jul, Anselm Lingnau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Just wait for another century or so. By that time Highland Cathedral
> (which AFAIK was written recently by two chaps from Berlin) *will* be a
> traditional Scottish tune.

I think it will take rather less than that. Our French hosts, who had two
arrangements that included this tune announced it as traditional Scottish
Music! I was not suggesting the pipers thought that.

There seems to be a great love of this tune among people who otherwise do
not listen to much pipe music. I recall an event in Galashiels a couple of
years ago in which the compere's idea of a finale was to get everyone
playing this along with a piper. (Keep an Eb whistle handy just in case!)
 I had not even heard the tune until the week before when we heard about
this event!

I think it has almost supplanted that other "traditional Scottish"
favourite "Amazing Grace" which the Kelso pipe band also played. I had
difficulty explaining to our host family the meaning of the title "Amazing
Grace". I think I was right in saying it was an American quaker hymn or was
that Lord of the Dance which was also played by our hosts in our honour!
Again surprise it was not Scottish! The French seemed to sing a song of
their own to Amazing Grace, by the way.

I think the answer, Anselm, is "If you can play it on the GHP then it's
Scottish". It makes life a lot simpler!

Philip

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]