Alexander Macdonald wrote:

> ...I hope we're taking this as an honest difference of opinion about
> something we both love...

That comment was to Kate Dunlay, but if I may say, this thread has
shown remarkable civility and restraint on a topic which could have, in
other hands, become petty, childish and very personal. While both sides
have strong opinions, it has been a fascinating discussion involving
people who know and love the music. (Once you get past Jack's
occasionally acerbic style; his bark is insignificant compared to his
bytes.)

I feel extremely unqualified to join in; I've never had a music lesson
in my life and my love of Scottish music has more to do with the heart
than the head (in my case, that's a blessing!), but L Lloyd's assertion
that just temperament "cannot be used for real music" is fighting talk.
I think. Um...

I was also fascinated by Alexander's statement: "The ear's perception
of a note can vary so greatly that the literature uses two terms;
"frequency"...and "pitch"...and the two can vary by as much as a whole
tone..." I often disagree with what an electric tuner says is in tune
and make minor adjustments to suit my ear. I wonder if this is an
illustration of that difference?

--
Nigel Gatherer, Crieff, Scotland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]