Jack Campin wrote:

> Anybody know where "March to the Battlefield" comes from?

> ...It's played today as an Irish polka, the name of which I forget.
> It sounds more Irish than Scottish to me...

Can you give us the ABC version?

> ...though it can't have started out as a polka (there were no Irish
> polkas by 1838)...

If you accept that Irish polkas derive from the dance introduced into
France and England in the 1840s. There is another theory that an older
step (and presumably associated tunes) evolved into what is known as
the "Irish polka" (which, musically, is quite different from the
classic European polka).

I'm quite happy now to be exposed as mostly ignorant about the whole
subject, because, in fact, that is the case! I'm just glad to see some
life in Scots-L.

--
Nigel Gatherer, Crieff, Scotland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]