--------

Alexander writes:

| ...  Under certain circumstances,
| when two notes sounded simultaneously are only a few cycles apart, the
| ear finds the result  pleasing,  giving a vibrato effect [sort of].
| However when this occurs, the ear's perception of the note is the
| average of the two notes which of course means that you're not yet
| "tuned".

Hmmm ...  In my experience, people tend to  hear  the  lower  as  the
actual  note, with the tremolo of course.  My accordion has a musette
reed that is set up like this. The (almost) "in tune" reeds are tuned
to A=441, which is close enough for most ears.  The musette reeds are
tuned 3 to 4 cycles sharp.  People don't hear the instrument as being
out  of  tune  so much as they hear the wavery sound.  I turn off the
musette reed when I'm giving a note to others, and they seem to  find
it still in tune when I turn the musette back on.

Similarly, I play mandolin, and I've found that the best sound is had
by  tuning  one  string  of each pair to standard pitch and the other
just a hair sharp.  I've discovered that a lot  of  mandolin  players
have discovered this themselves.  They are often surprised to be told
that there's a name for this sort of tuning, and that a lot of  other
double-string players do exactly the same thing.

I just got back from the first festival where I was invited solely as
a mandolinist. I did have my accordion along for use in jam sessions,
and managed to sneak it into a few things on stage.  But  it  was  an
Eastern-European  festival,  so I suppose it's not quite on-topic for
this list.