George (Dode) Flett was a piper in the Seaforths along with Donald MacLeod,
who composed the tune. There is quite a famous photograph kicking about of
Flett from Flotta marching troops in desert operations during WW2.
I have always felt that the tune posed a puzzle because it seems to be 'off
beat'. By making the starting phrase the first beat group all of a sudden
the tune becomes very regular and the main beat of the bar of four is quite
definable.
I also feel that the use of an entire beat group for an anacrusis isn't
quite right anyway. The starting phrase (or more properly beat group) should
add up together with the last beat group to form a whole beat group, not be
its total.
I'm not dogmatic about that, though, and would be interested to hear other
opinions on the use of it in this tune and others.
Having said all that it is one of the greatest of all 4/4 marches, written
by the leading light music composer in piping history. It is also one of my
favourites and I have played it since the '60s.
I might have the photograph some where if you are interested and don't mind
waiting  bit while I hunt it out.

Bruce Campbell (Editor and coffee boy)
Celtic World (incorporating Highland Gathering).
The best selling Celtic cultural monthly.
Postal address: PO Box 98, Corrimal NSW 2518
Street Address: Suites 4/5 108 Railway Street, Corrrimal NSW 2518 AUSTRALIA
TEL 02 4285 7480
FAX 02 4285 7482
mobile 0415 647 423
Normal monthly Deadline: 15th of month prior to publication.