Andrew Kuntz wrote:

> Miss Gunning's Reel appears in several collections such as Vickers
> (1770)...The Irish collector Brendan Breathnach attributed MIss
> Gunnings to Marshall (who would have been only 22 when the melody
> appeared in Vickers)...

In 'Scottish Fiddlers and their Music' (M A Alburger 1983) she says
that Marshall was thirty-two when he first published his compositions.
If Vickers is dated 1770 this proves your theory. I too took
Breathnach's attribution as gospel, but I can't think if I've seen
Marshall credited anywhere else. I'll try and look at the Thompson
collection mentioned by Bruce Olson and see if it's the same tune; if
it is, the mystery is irrevocably solved. Good sleuthing, Andrew!

--
Nigel Gatherer, Crieff, Scotland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]