> This is from a note to a CD by the Household Division (they do the
Changing
> of the Guard stuff I think):
> -----
> The beating or sounding of Retreat has its origins in the sixteenth
century

When I was in high school, we lived at Fort Riley, Kansas, an infantry post.
They played bugle calls several (15?) times a day. Of course they played
retreat to take down the flag, which was preceeded by firing the howitzer.
Every night. That was about 3 blocks from our quarters. They fire the
howitzer when they raise the flag too (6AM?).

Ritual. What more can you ask for? I think I'll put on my kilt now, and
march around the house beating pots...

Bob
South Carolina