> I got a copy of Rose Among the Heather from the Chambers website.
> HOWEVER, it has, if you look at the GIF file, only 1/8th notes.
> However,if you play the midi file, it has 1/16th's and dotted 1/8/s.
> What's going on?

As I recall it, the tune, despite being a strathspey, has only
forward-dotted note pairs like a hornpipe.  Some MIDI-generating
programs have an option to interpret even-length notes in hornpipe
fashion, particularly if the transcriber puts "R:hornpipe" in the
header; a lot of people who transcribe hornpipes count on their
software to do this for them.  So I'd guess that's what's been
done here; somebody's thought "might as well get this interpreted
as a hornpipe to save a bit of typing".

There are two versions of that tune.  I prefer the pipers' one but
it's almost unrecognizably different from the fiddlers' version.
Is there a song behind both?