> That's a case where a music education was a hindrance rather than an
> advantage. Had the bassist learned the tune aurally it would not have
> occurred to him to question whether it was in a minor key or dorian; it
> should just have sounded "right." If it didn't, the further education
> he'd need would be with his ears rather than his intellect. In my
> opinion.

Sometimes even when learnt aurally, problems arise: I played before in a
band where the guitar player hadn't a traditional/folk music background but
a pop/bossa/blues one and he used to play minor chords to dorian or even
mixolydian tunes (we played a jig set, Scarce o'tatties/Slieve
Russell/Calliope House, and until we reach the final Dmajor all the chords
were minor, well, he actually thought that the set was made of two tunes!)

I think that knowledge of modes help, it's not particularly difficult to
understand and put in practice (here Jack's tutorial helped me a lot, thanks
Jack); I agree with Nigel in that there's no need to know them to play them,
the same that there's no need to know that a jig is in 6/8 to play it in
good time nor to be able to read music to play a tune, but I also agree with
Matt in the idea of one thing complementing the other. I've played many
years with almost no theory knowledge, and the fact of learning a little of
practical theory maybe didn't make me a better musician, but it helped me to
understand some whys and hows of my playing.

Cheers,

Manuel Waldesco