I got this today. Sounds excellent. Robert is an amazing young
fiddler. This is really worth picking up! I'm hoping he'll show up
with a release party in Halifax soon.

NEWS RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 7, 2003

PURE CELTIC HEARTS Vol 2 - Fiddler Deveaux heats up Chisholm's Volume 2 CD

For 25 year old Robert Deveaux, the journey is just as memorable as the destination. Having lived and breathed Cape Breton’s music scene as both a performer and fan for 15 years, he has finally ventured into the studio.

"I guess some might say I'’m a slow learner," he smiles modestly. On the contrary, Deveaux’s playing has been described as strictly traditional, resembling the sounds and cuts of the Island’s old players. And this recording is no different.

True to the tradition, Deveaux is accompanied by renowned pianist Maybelle Chisholm McQueen and her son Brian Doyle on guitar. The album is a sequel to Chisholm’s 2001 recording Pure Celtic Hearts.

"When we talked about doing a Pure Celtic Hearts Volume Two, I thought long and hard about the sound I wanted and Robert’s playing kept coming to mind," says Maybelle. "He’s a solid player, who’s very true to the tunes and that results in a very real and authentic sound."

Growing up in the vibrant Acadian community of St-Joseph du Moine along the Cabot Trail, Deveaux didn’t find it difficult to pick up the traditional fiddle music that has made the Island famous. "Well, my grandfather plays and there were a lot of great players in Cheticamp, like Arthur Muise and Donny LeBlanc who were a treat to listen to," says Deveaux. "When I got older, I started going to dances and listening to the greats like Buddy MacMaster and Theresa MacLellan. I just immersed myself in the music."

That immersion paid off. By the time he was 16, Deveaux was a regular player at dances and concerts throughout the Island. After graduating École NDA in Cheticamp, he attended l’Universite de Moncton for a year before transferring to St. F.X. to complete his Bachelor of Arts degree in French. "The Celtic Society at X was a great place to meet fellow fiddle freaks and learn new tunes. X was also a lot closer to Cape Breton than Moncton," he said.

Upon graduating from St. F.X., Deveaux moved to Halifax, where he spent five years playing music, teaching, bartending and selling real estate. Three months ago, he moved to Sydney with his wife, Kelly, to pursue music full time.

Deveaux says his next project will be a recording of Acadian fiddle tunes. "I just got back from St-Pierre et Miqulon a few weeks ago," he says with his obvious French accent. "While there, I discovered mountains of tunes that are strictly Acadian dating back 300 years. I love playing Gaelic Scottish tunes, but I’d also like to explore the lesser known French Acadian music that is a big part of my heritage."

-30-

For more information, contact:
Robert Deveaux
902-539-3710 Tel/Fax

Barry Mac Kinnon Celestial Entertainment 393 Newlands Avenue Sydney, N.S. B1S 1Z5 (902) 539-6341 PH/ FAX [EMAIL PROTECTED]