Huard, Elise - D C&W Consultant wrote:
Hi,

what would you say are the most useful commands for dbx ?

"help" :).

What commands are useful depends on if you're stepping through code as it runs or examine a core file. If you're familiar with gdb then a lot of versions of dbx include the command "gdb on" which allow you to use gdb style commands such as "bt". "bt" is probably what you think of as "stack". The intrinsic dbx command might be "whereami", I'm afraid I use it with a mixture of dbx and gdb commands.

To find an FPE error you probably want to turn the signal handling functions off, run the code, get a core file. Load the core file, and find out which line you are on (bt or whereami) - hence which line is dividing by zero[1].

Thanks,

Allan

[1] Floating point exceptions are always division by zero :).