On Wed, 13 Jun 2007, Phillip Bennett wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am trying to migrate our NIS services (users, autofs etc) to an LDAP server. I have found the Migration Tools from PADL (www.padl.com) and I am having a few weird problems.

When running the "migrate_all_nis_online.sh" script, I recieve the following error:

adding new entry "uid=clare,ou=People,dc=mve,dc=com"
ldap_add: Invalid syntax (21)
      additional info: objectClass: value #6 invalid per syntax

The data in question from the created ldif file is as follows:

dn: uid=clare,ou=People,dc=mve,dc=com
uid: clare
cn: Clare Bond
givenName: Clare
sn: Bond
mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
mailRoutingAddress: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
mailHost: islay.mve.com
objectClass: inetLocalMailRecipient
objectClass: person
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: top
objectClass: kerberosSecurityObject
userPassword: {crypt}<snip!>
krbName: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
loginShell: /bin/tcsh
uidNumber: 2049
gidNumber: 20
homeDirectory: /homes/clare
gecos: Clare Bond

I'm not sure exactly which value is giving the error, but after removing all the mail ones, it looks like it's one of the objectClass values. There is no white space, and the values all look right to me.

All the howtos I have read so far indicate that the "USE_EXTENDED_SCHEMA" VALUE SHOULD BE SET TO 1. However, if I set it to 0, the LDIF file gives the following data:

dn: uid=clare,ou=People,dc=mve,dc=com
uid: clare
cn: Clare Bond
objectClass: account
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: top
userPassword: {crypt}<snip!>
loginShell: /bin/tcsh
uidNumber: 2049
gidNumber: 20
homeDirectory: /homes/clare
gecos: Clare Bond

Then, the resulting LDIF file works properly (after a bout of deleting duplicate service informatoin) and I have an LDAP database. So the question becomes, "Do I need the extended schema?"

Depends if your applications need it, e.g. pam_ldap, Samba and so on. The 2nd stripped-down LDIF looks possibly a bit thin to me, so I'm guessing they may.

Check that all the attributes and object classes required by the 1st LDIF are in the DSA core or included schema. If not all are find some extra schema to include that gives you what you need.

And hope that you don't require to add an extra syntax type to the DSA as from what I remember it isn't fun - with most DSAs syntax are not generally configurable via text-based config and requires modification/extension to the code. The DSA could be moaning about included schema if it doesn't understand a syntax type used for an attribute... But if this is the case it may be you can subsititute for one it does know about.

Andrew