---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jennifer Redman <jen...@gmail.com>
Date: 2010/3/31
Subject: Re: Helping students
To: Rudy Godoy Guillén <r...@stone-head.org>
Cc: Kartik Thakore <thakore.kar...@gmail.com>, gsocm <
google-summer-of-code-mentors-l...@googlegroups.com>

Hello!

2010/3/31 Rudy Godoy Guillén <r...@stone-head.org>

> You need not to do the task for them. What you can do is teach them the
> importance of setting a scope and estimating time according that. They need
> to see the big picture and estimate the required effort, so they eventually
> realize that they will need to either reduce the scope or break it down. The
> important thing is to finish the job.

Estimating how long something is going to take is often fairly hard for
those of us with experience and can be be particularly difficult for
students. Yes it is important to complete the project but as a mentor you
need to help your student figure how to be successful even if they spend the
whole summer working hard on a project and aren't able to get things working
like they imagined in April.

Here are a few guidelines that I give students - and anyone developing with
temporal constraints to help break up large chunks of development.

1) Think about points of "no-return" - make sure you build flexibility into
your project milestones to allow you to choose a different path should your
plan not work out.  You don't want to find yourself at the end of the summer
with a large block of code that needs to be completely reworked because
something doesn't work the way you imagined it would.

2) Plan for status reports.  Think in terms of what can I get done in a
week?

3) Build in test time.  You want to do some major testing at least 2 times
during the summer - mid-term and finals -- more is recommended.  Set up your
milestones thinking in terms of "is this a good place to test and allow for
bug fixes?"

4) Be flexible and re-evaluate often (see weekly status reports).  You might
be in week 4 and realize that realistically only half of what was proposed
can be accomplished in the summer.  Adjust accordingly.

Jen