On 7/1/2011 2:26 PM, chromatic wrote:
> On Friday, July 01, 2011 at 10:58 am, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
>
>> On 7/1/2011 7:24 AM, Kartik Thakore wrote:
>>> chip during my talk you mentioned some technology for doing OpenGL
>>> context/display lists better. Can you mention it again chip? I seem to
>>> have forgotten it.
>> Hi!  I was talking about tcc, the
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiny_C_Compiler .   It's x86-specific but
>> otherwise it seems like a convenient and really fast way to create
>> structures defined by C.
> Are you suggesting an approach like Python's Weave or Cinpy?
>
>        http://scipy.org/Weave
>       http://www.cs.tut.fi/~ask/cinpy/

Yes, quite.

> The approach I had in mind was to build an XS file full of Perl <-> C thunks
> and then use the closure-over-dlfunc-pointer trick of P5NCI to avoid writing
> (and paying the cost of) hundreds of otherwise-identical XS wrappers.

Ah, well, I had perhaps an incomplete understanding of the problem.  I
thought we needed to create complex data structures for some newer
OpenGL calls, so I wanted to ease the difficulty of making complex C
data structures from Perl.  If, OTOH, the primary problem is exposing a
very broad API from C to Perl, then yes, reusing XS wrappers is very
good (reduced memory use, better cache coherency, blah blah).