Am 24.09.2012 18:07, schrieb Chris Marshall:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 10:41 AM, Tobias Leich <em...@froggs.de> wrote:
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> The performance is poor of course.
>>
>> I tried to use the piddle's pointer (->dataref or so) but it looks like
>> it is not pointing to a usable memory area.
> $piddle->get_dataref returns a scalar reference to a perl
> PV whose string content _is_ the data block.  You should
> be able to get the starting location for the pixel data (i.e.,
> the string) via SvPV.
Okay, so we need to change the Surface's XS code to accept that.

>> It looks like there are more than 4 bytes per pixel, and libSDL can't
>> handle that.
> Per the above, the get_dataref returns an RV to an Sv with
> the data in the string.  It is just a contiguous block of memory.
> As far as I know, all the SDL memory buffers are just
> contiguous blocks of memory (ignoring variations due to
> stride, alignment,...)
The memory block is not the point. It matters how the pixels are stored
in that block.
LibSDL can use 1 to 4 bytes per Pixel. And we can tell it how a pixel
looks like. If it is RGB or RGBA or ABGR or whatever.
But it is important to know how the pixels are stored, since otherwise
it might use the alpha channel for the red color.

>> The pdl.pl example is working, I see colored squares.
> I don't know what the output should look like.  I'm
> cc-ing our PDL mailing list in the hopes that someone
> with access to both PDL and SDL can give it a try.
>
> Is there a cygwin install of SDL and libSDL?
I'm afraid that cygwin support is currently half-broken. If you would
install only the libSDL core components and no SDL_ttf stuff you might
get a chance to install SDL-perl.

>> I think we should need to improve our examples btw, there is not a
>> single comment, thats bad.
>> In the pdl.pl is a var $ref, which is never used. Thats a bit confusing.
> I think the ref is from a previous iteration in the code
> trying to get things working.
>
> Speaking of documentation, do you have any on the
> actual perl<->libSDL bindings an data structures?  Trying
> to read XS is not the simplest way to sort things out---
> especially since I am far for an expert on some of the
> tricky XS technologies.
Of course. for example:
http://sdl.perl.org/documentation.html
http://search.cpan.org/~jtpalmer/SDL-2.540/