okay, here i go...

and yes, john, you can use this on your page.

there was a huge line waiting outside the theater until the doors swung open about
6:30...

i walked in and saw FOUR new shirts for sale!!

1. a red shirt with the statue on the front and the diary-era "sunny day real estate"
typewriter logo on the back

2. a blue shirt that was the same, except it had all the tour dates

3. a black shirt with a black and white (NOT grayscale, just black and white... like
the picture in the cd bookelt) picture of the
three guys

4. the AWESOMEST THING EVER... a TSMAP shirt!!! the cover of TSMAP (minus the words)
on the front, and sunny day real
estate in white and orange (like it is on tsmap) on the back! i'm wearing it now...

also for sale... PILLOWCASES!!!!! i couldn't believe this... and unfortunately i
didn't have enough money to pick a set up... they
were plain white but had "morning comes in the dream before we rise" (a line from "the
rising tide" -- if you folks haven't
memorized the lyrics yet) stitched into them... very very cool!!

also some stickers with the fly on them...

no knife was great. these guys were tight beyond belief... not a missed note, a
skipped beat, the sound was perfect... just about
the best opening act i've ever seen... considering the fact they only played four
songs i knew (the ones they played off their
latest album), and considering they were opening for my all-time favorite band, they
put on a great set.

sunny day.

sunnnny day.

there was a huge sdre fly on will's bass drum head! it looked hand-drawn to me,
although i'm not sure... also, there was a big
feature about sunny day in the seattle times, and it shows will's drums with the TSMAP
cover on the front of the bass drum...
maybe he's switching from night to night...

i usually bring along pencil and paper to write down the setlist... this time i
forgot... but i'm pretty sure i remember it all...

Killed By An Angel
One
In Circles
The Ocean
Snibe
Disappear
Guitar and Video Games
Tearing In My Heart
Fool In The Photograph
J'nuh
Faces In Disguise

(encore:)
Pillars
8

that's right, folks.... 8!!!! it was incredible... will went nuts... for those of you
disappointed that will has been holding back on the
fills and such, you will look forward to this... will was going even crazier than the
recorded version...

anyway, i'm not sure what to think... i don't think i can really bring myself to say
anything negative about sdre, ever... i don't think
my fingers will let me type anything bad... and this show definetly does not deserve a
negative review... but this was not the best
sdre show i've ever seen. the set was too lop-sided as far as the new stuff goes (i
know, it's the release day show, and they
have to play the new stuff... and don't get me wrong, i wanted to hear all the new
stuff... too bad there wasn't time for my
favorites too) and there were a few other small problems too:

the new bassist... was just a bassist. he played the songs, and that was that.
definitely didn't do justice to nate's, jeff's or
jeremy's basslines... it was enough to sound "right" but not enough to sound as great
as nate or jeff or joe... some of the stuff
was really simplified.

the 3rd guitar/keyboard guy, however... this guy rules!! the keyboard lines sounded
great, and he did the backup vocals... i'm
not trying to say he can sing like jeremy, but they managed to find a guy that really
carries the backup vocals perfectly... for
example the end of snibe sounded perfect, he sounded just like jeremy does on the
recording.

they also had a dude on a few of the songs that played tambourine and triangle! who is
this guy?!?!?! how did he get the
greatest job in the world? i could do what he was doing, why can't i tour with sdre? i
think he was a roadie or something, but
still, i'd move equipment around if i could tour with sdre... as long as they at least
gave me a sandwich every night, they wouldn't
have to pay me...

in circles was in standard tuning... or in whatever tuning "killed by an angel" and
"one" are in... because the song sounded very
different, and they didn't switch guitars... jeremy played the same guitar all night
except for the acoustic in "the ocean"...

dan commented after a few tunes that "we're shaking the rust off" -- that's exactly
what this show was.

there was something wrong with snibe. there was this big high-pitched whine during the
whole thing... most of the people who
came to the show with me were trying to convince me it was the guitar... i think
something was wrong. jeremy was having a
really hard time with it... missing lines and he started to look like he was really
pissed... like he wanted to stop but the rest of the
band didn't... i'm not sure exactly what happened.

the sound was better for no knife than it was for sdre. jeremy's vocal microphone was
not built to handle his voice... during the
"straaaaaaaaange" in "one" the microphone just couldn't take it... and dan's mic was
hardly on at all... which made in circles
and 8 much less cool...

the ocean... someone was out of tune or something... that song was not happening.

but... still... great show. the new tunes sound good live. "faces in disguise" (or
"faces of some guys" as my girlfriend calls it)
was awe-inspiring, seriously. it inspired awe. enough said.

jeremy broke a string the exact second he hit the first note of the rocking part of 8.
gives you an idea how much that song
ruled...

"dan sure is one big smiling bastard" says my friend chris...

so, overall... it ruled. enough to make me decide that i'm going to travel to
vancouver and/or spokane for the shows in august...

but no prophet? no rodeo jones, song about an angel, or days were golden?

and no SEVEN?!?!? (heheh.... just kidding... i think we all got over that years ago)

which reminds me... i didn't hear anyone yelling for seven... maybe we've all finally
come to terms with the fact that they just
aren't going to play it anymore. there was a small pause when people started yelling
for songs... pillars, grendel, etc... which
then turned into people (including me) yelling "stop yelling song names" and then into
people yelling ridiculous ideas like "don't
fear the reaper" and "more than a feeling"...

i'm sure next time they hit seattle they'll mix it up a bit more... but i really can't
complain. i don't care how the bassist played, i
don't care what songs they played, i don't care how long they played... i was there.
the greatest band i've ever heard was there
with me, playing some of the greatest songs i've ever heard (the new album being
inclusive). and i've got two shirts, two
stickers, a ticket stub, and some amazing memories to show for it.

-----
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
why should i? because: http://www.ysib.com/
cursive: http://www.computela.com/cursive/
subset: http://www.computela.com/subset/
irc: "Famous" on EFNet, channels #SDRE and #YSIB
-----