Granted, there are a million bands copying "Diary" out there, and that's just
sad. Emo music, to me, is terrible. You claim "The Rising Tide" is Sunny Day
maturing, then you may be right. If Sunny Day going from being influenced by
Fugazi to listening to and nearly directly copying bands like U2 and
Radiohead, then, yes, they are very mature. Maturity doesn't mean because
Sunny Day is more mellow now, so they must be mature. The Rising Tide is
terrible. It sounds just like Queensryche to me. I'm not kidding either. If
you listen to the lyrics, they are just silly, they are like fantasy rock. If
music paints pictures, the Rising Tide paints pictures with dragons and
wizards. As someone else said, the song structures are very predictable.
Listen to the second song, "One." From the time they strum the first chord,
until the time the strum the second, I picture Dan and Jeremy with their
hands in the air doing the devil "rawk" sign. During that time, I imagine
skulls being lowered down behind Will while smoke pours out of their mouth.
Its not maturity, its bigness. Its like they wish they were U2. They wish
they had those pyrotechnics. Its really sad. Explain to me how The Rising
Tide is any more mature than How It Feels. And the lyrics are terrible. He
actually says "Everything and everyone, in the end we all are one." I never
heard that growing closer to Christ took you further away from being able to
write good lyrics, but apparently it has. The less mature Sunny Day never
wrote lyrics like a 5th grade girl whose parents are getting divorced. The
song "Snibe" has a chorus which sounds like Men With Hats song "Safety
Dance", you know the one, "We can dance if want to." Its really sorry. The
entire CD, with a few exceptions in a few songs, its terrible. TO the people
who will write back to disagree with me, tell me how they matured, tell me
how the lyrics are better, tell me you don't hear everything Im saying. They
actually have robotic vocals, and I hear Rush, I hear Stix. If this is
maturity, what's the next step? And also, whoever disagrees with me, tell me
what the hell you listen to aside from Sunny Day. Thanks.

matt
NP- Silver Scooter