On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 11:57:23PM +0300, Sam Eiderman wrote:
> From: Liran Alon <liran.a...@oracle.com>
>
> Windows kernel extracts various BIOS information at boot-time.
> The method it uses to extract SystemBiosDate is very hueristic.
> It is done by nt!CmpGetBiosDate().
>
> nt!CmpGetBiosDate() works by scanning all BIOS memory from 0xF0000 to
> 0xFFFF5 (FSEG) in search for a string which is formatted like a date.
> It then chooses the string which represents the most recent date, and
> writes it to:
>
>     HKLM/HARDWARE/DESCRIPTION/System SystemBiosDate
>
> This date should usually be BiosDate located at FSEG(0xFFF5).

FWIW, if you want to ensure a stable date is found, it's probably
simpler to force a valid date string to be present in the f-segment.
Something like: char win_bios_date[] VARFSEG = " 04/01/2014 ";

As with my previous emails, I'd recommend using a hard-coded date (not
a build date) - as this tends to improve reproducibility.

-Kevin