> > > I don't think this is a good change to make.  In the event a user is
> > > intending to have multiple boot devices, but only one happens to be
> > > present due to a failure of some kind then the machine may incorrectly
> > > boot into the wrong device.  This would make troubleshooting worse.
> > > If the user does not want the bootmenu then I think it would be best
> > > for the user to explicitly configure the machine to not present a boot
> > > menu.
> >
> > Any further comments on this?
> >
> > If not, I'm inclined to revert this change.
> >

> instead of reverting, I'd say just make it conditional on a runtime config
> flag, maybe /etc/boot-menu-skip or similar?

We have a config option for the time seabios waits for the boot menu
keypress, so skipping the boot menu (unconditionally) can be configured
already.

The automatic in this patch (only offer the boot menu in case there is
something to choose, i.e. for example after plugging in a bootable usb
key) is a nifty idea, but I can see the trouble-shooting problems this
can bring (as outlined above).  So, no objections to revert this from
my side.

take care,
  Gerd