Re: Attack

2021-04-29 Thread Matt Dubspun
WORD! Yeah I love watching Omar get down!

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 2:10 PM kent williams 
wrote:

> I must not be a  proper techno DJ, because I listen to music and if I like
> it, I do my best to figure out how it can work with other music.  Selecting
> tracks because their rigid structure makes them easy to mix seems to put
> the actual music last in DJing, which is absurd.
>
> And man Omar S. As a production nerd, I can hear MOST of what he's up to
> on his tracks but he's always doing something unexpected that nonetheless
> works. The kick drum on "Psychotic Photosynthesis" is a good example. You
> can hear it by itself in the beginning of the track, and on it's own, it
> frankly sounds like shit.  But once he brings other sounds into the mix it
> is EXACTLY the right sound for the mix.
>
> And he's one of the best DJs I've ever seen play, not because he does
> anything fancy, but because he's an amazing selector. The time I saw him in
> a rooftop bar in Greektown, he showed up with no record box, just a stack
> of test presses and white labels a foot thick. And everything he dropped
> was INSANE.
>
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 2:01 PM Matt Dubspun <
> vibenoticrecordi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I find myself forgetting all the time that music is an expression. As a
>> DJ we far too often judge a record by structure and if it doesn't measure
>> up to the structure of other songs it gets left behind at the store or home
>> instead of in our record bags where they belong. The uniformity was
>> different back in the 80's where the long blends weren't as prominent. We
>> should all be more daring with our selections but it's as if something
>> won't let us.
>>
>> Looking behind the curtain is one of the greatest compliments an artist
>> can have. It means that what they have accomplished boggled some minds when
>> in most cases it's something simple but unthought of by most. Omar S. is
>> who got me back in to producing. I bought one of his first works at a
>> distributor that wasn't going to carry it because it didn't fit the mold. A
>> little awkward to mix with but once you learned it, it worked out great. I
>> stopped obsessing about technicalities and expressed myself.
>>
>> Much LOVE to Detroit you are all so special to me more than you know!
>>
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 7:07 PM kent williams 
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I think how you look at things like that article depends on your point
>>> of view. I'm a musician and fascinated by musical structure & process. So
>>> it's a way of thinking about music more analytically, but it doesn't take
>>> away from my enjoyment of the music.
>>>
>>> Plus, analyzing Drexciya just tells you "forget the formula, find your
>>> groove, and express it live, even if you're off the grid of conventional
>>> dance music."
>>>
>>> No one can make Drexciya from a simplified recipe.  It doesn't take away
>>> from the magic to look behind the curtain.
>>>
>>> On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 6:52 PM Philip McGarva 
>>> wrote:
>>>
 I gotta say those ‘deconstructed’ articles kind of depress me but I
 guess you gotta keep the content up somehow. I spent years obsessing over
 MK’s hi hats and that was much more fun than a 15 minute tutorial 

 Don’t get me started on their logo t-shirts  Is this all we got left?





Re: Attack

2021-04-29 Thread kent williams
I must not be a  proper techno DJ, because I listen to music and if I like
it, I do my best to figure out how it can work with other music.  Selecting
tracks because their rigid structure makes them easy to mix seems to put
the actual music last in DJing, which is absurd.

And man Omar S. As a production nerd, I can hear MOST of what he's up to on
his tracks but he's always doing something unexpected that nonetheless
works. The kick drum on "Psychotic Photosynthesis" is a good example. You
can hear it by itself in the beginning of the track, and on it's own, it
frankly sounds like shit.  But once he brings other sounds into the mix it
is EXACTLY the right sound for the mix.

And he's one of the best DJs I've ever seen play, not because he does
anything fancy, but because he's an amazing selector. The time I saw him in
a rooftop bar in Greektown, he showed up with no record box, just a stack
of test presses and white labels a foot thick. And everything he dropped
was INSANE.

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 2:01 PM Matt Dubspun 
wrote:

> I find myself forgetting all the time that music is an expression. As a DJ
> we far too often judge a record by structure and if it doesn't measure up
> to the structure of other songs it gets left behind at the store or home
> instead of in our record bags where they belong. The uniformity was
> different back in the 80's where the long blends weren't as prominent. We
> should all be more daring with our selections but it's as if something
> won't let us.
>
> Looking behind the curtain is one of the greatest compliments an artist
> can have. It means that what they have accomplished boggled some minds when
> in most cases it's something simple but unthought of by most. Omar S. is
> who got me back in to producing. I bought one of his first works at a
> distributor that wasn't going to carry it because it didn't fit the mold. A
> little awkward to mix with but once you learned it, it worked out great. I
> stopped obsessing about technicalities and expressed myself.
>
> Much LOVE to Detroit you are all so special to me more than you know!
>
>
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 7:07 PM kent williams 
> wrote:
>
>> I think how you look at things like that article depends on your point of
>> view. I'm a musician and fascinated by musical structure & process. So
>> it's a way of thinking about music more analytically, but it doesn't take
>> away from my enjoyment of the music.
>>
>> Plus, analyzing Drexciya just tells you "forget the formula, find your
>> groove, and express it live, even if you're off the grid of conventional
>> dance music."
>>
>> No one can make Drexciya from a simplified recipe.  It doesn't take away
>> from the magic to look behind the curtain.
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 6:52 PM Philip McGarva 
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I gotta say those ‘deconstructed’ articles kind of depress me but I
>>> guess you gotta keep the content up somehow. I spent years obsessing over
>>> MK’s hi hats and that was much more fun than a 15 minute tutorial 
>>>
>>> Don’t get me started on their logo t-shirts  Is this all we got left?
>>>
>>>
>>>


Re: Attack

2021-04-29 Thread Matt Dubspun
I find myself forgetting all the time that music is an expression. As a DJ
we far too often judge a record by structure and if it doesn't measure up
to the structure of other songs it gets left behind at the store or home
instead of in our record bags where they belong. The uniformity was
different back in the 80's where the long blends weren't as prominent. We
should all be more daring with our selections but it's as if something
won't let us.

Looking behind the curtain is one of the greatest compliments an artist can
have. It means that what they have accomplished boggled some minds when in
most cases it's something simple but unthought of by most. Omar S. is who
got me back in to producing. I bought one of his first works at a
distributor that wasn't going to carry it because it didn't fit the mold. A
little awkward to mix with but once you learned it, it worked out great. I
stopped obsessing about technicalities and expressed myself.

Much LOVE to Detroit you are all so special to me more than you know!


On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 7:07 PM kent williams 
wrote:

> I think how you look at things like that article depends on your point of
> view. I'm a musician and fascinated by musical structure & process. So
> it's a way of thinking about music more analytically, but it doesn't take
> away from my enjoyment of the music.
>
> Plus, analyzing Drexciya just tells you "forget the formula, find your
> groove, and express it live, even if you're off the grid of conventional
> dance music."
>
> No one can make Drexciya from a simplified recipe.  It doesn't take away
> from the magic to look behind the curtain.
>
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 6:52 PM Philip McGarva 
> wrote:
>
>> I gotta say those ‘deconstructed’ articles kind of depress me but I guess
>> you gotta keep the content up somehow. I spent years obsessing over MK’s hi
>> hats and that was much more fun than a 15 minute tutorial 
>>
>> Don’t get me started on their logo t-shirts  Is this all we got left?
>>
>>
>>


Re: Attack

2021-04-28 Thread kent williams
I think how you look at things like that article depends on your point of
view. I'm a musician and fascinated by musical structure & process. So
it's a way of thinking about music more analytically, but it doesn't take
away from my enjoyment of the music.

Plus, analyzing Drexciya just tells you "forget the formula, find your
groove, and express it live, even if you're off the grid of conventional
dance music."

No one can make Drexciya from a simplified recipe.  It doesn't take away
from the magic to look behind the curtain.

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 6:52 PM Philip McGarva 
wrote:

> I gotta say those ‘deconstructed’ articles kind of depress me but I guess
> you gotta keep the content up somehow. I spent years obsessing over MK’s hi
> hats and that was much more fun than a 15 minute tutorial 
>
> Don’t get me started on their logo t-shirts  Is this all we got left?
>
>
>