Re: Free Re-fills

2000-07-08 Thread Bryan Caplan
Related question: Why no free re-fills in Europe? -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan "Is there anything more distinctly understood by all men, than what it is to see, to hear, to remember, to

Re: SAT???

2000-08-30 Thread Bryan Caplan
editors have an incentive to badly misinterpret, misuse test scores. More generally, news is entertainment, not fact. But even the SAT people seem on board here... -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan

Reading Recommendation with a Comment

2000-09-07 Thread Bryan Caplan
on neighboring kids anyway. Family breakup hurts not so much your own kids, but the proverbial "fabric of society." There is a lot of additional food for thought, economic and otherwise, in this fine book. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED]

An Interesting Footnote

2000-09-08 Thread Bryan Caplan
by pregnant women to save money) or about morality (the sanctity of fetuses, control by women of their bodies). -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan "We may be dissatisfied with television for two qui

Re: Reading Recommendation with a Comment

2000-09-13 Thread Bryan Caplan
me tonight. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan "We may be dissatisfied with television for two quite different reasons: because our set does not work, or because we dislike the program w

Gas

2000-09-13 Thread Bryan Caplan
Supposedly Britons are already cueing for gas. What's happened? Price controls? Expected price controls? -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan "We may be dissatisfied with television for two

Re: Reading Recommendation with a Comment

2000-09-13 Thread Bryan Caplan
It all depends on parameters, but I think the net message of this literature is that it's better to have kids than you thought, but not so useful to spend your time preaching at them. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gmu.edu/departments

Harris

2000-09-13 Thread Bryan Caplan
the "parents'-group-to-children's-group" model. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan "[W]hen we attempt to prove by direct argument, what is really self-evident, the reasoning will always be

Re: Harris

2000-09-14 Thread Bryan Caplan
f one-parent family structures. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan "We may be dissatisfied with television for two quite different reasons: because our set does not work, or because we disli

Re: Reading Recommendation with a Comment

2000-09-14 Thread Bryan Caplan
ether; why would kids be any different? -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan "We may be dissatisfied with television for two quite different reasons: because our set does not work, or bec

Re: Gas

2000-09-17 Thread Bryan Caplan
rice not be affected? Where would the supply-side effect come from? Just because the world supply is fixed, does not mean that one country can't reduce after-tax prices by cutting taxes. Inelastically supplied to the world, elastically supplied to individual countries. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan

reading recommendation

2000-09-20 Thread Bryan Caplan
e comments will be forthcoming once I finish the book. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan "[W]hen we attempt to prove by direct argument, what is really self-evident, the reasoning will always

Re: De gustibus disputandum?

2000-09-22 Thread Bryan Caplan
me prices and income. I think the real challenge to SB comes not from cognitive psychology, but from personality psychology, where the heterogeneity of human preferences is well-established. (Shameless self-promotion - I'm working on a piece that makes this point). --

Re: reading recommendation

2000-09-26 Thread Bryan Caplan
expected cost of bad judgment was $100/year, would it? So even taking a policy perspective, expected value of error matters. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan "We may be dissatisfied with televisio

Re: Imperfect Reasoning (was: reading recommendation)

2000-09-26 Thread Bryan Caplan
ional irrationality" a form of meta-rationality. But my model doesn't imply that you can make people compensate for their irrationality by pointing it out to them; the only thing that works is raising price of error. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Card/Krueger Revisited

2000-10-02 Thread Bryan Caplan
in different states. So as puzzling as both papers are separately, they are even more puzzling taken together: how can labor demand be at once perfectly inelastic and perfectly elastic? Anyone able to resolve this puzzle? And has anyone else pointed this out? -- Prof. Bryan Caplan

[Fwd: [Fwd: RU-486]]

2000-10-03 Thread Bryan Caplan
Alex had trouble posting this. Anyone else have similar troubles? -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan "We may be dissatisfied with television for two quite different reasons: because ou

Re: Card/Krueger Revisited

2000-10-05 Thread Bryan Caplan
ercentile of quality for published empirical work, I don't mind if you take that as a left-handed compliment. But I don't see how they failed "miserably" even then. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcap

Personality, Politics, and Economics Test

2000-10-05 Thread Bryan Caplan
P.S. Don't worry about biasing my sample - I've got specific test items to take care of that problem. In any case, for the time being, this survey is only exploratory. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan

Personality, Politics, and Economics Test

2000-10-11 Thread Bryan Caplan
Followup announcement. I had some technical problems with the Personality, Politics, and Economics online test I announced last week. Now it is up and working again, but has moved to: http://www.bcaplan.com/cgi/person.cgi -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED

Re: Personality, Politics, and Economics Test

2000-10-12 Thread Bryan Caplan
Pat McCann wrote: Should we resubmit our answers? Patrick McCann GMU Undergrad For anyone at Mason, and anyone who responded on Thursday, there is no need. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan

Re: Keeping up with the Franks

2000-10-16 Thread Bryan Caplan
C average, most people *do* appropriately shake their heads at his exaggerated disappointment. And a non-suicidal Stanford student with a C who waxes rhapsodic that "My life is a failure" would hopefully be greeted with some eye-rolling. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan

Re: Keeping up with the Franks

2000-10-16 Thread Bryan Caplan
"Unprecedented," huh? :-) -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan "We may be dissatisfied with television for two quite different reasons: because our set does not work, or because we dislike the program w

Re: Periodic redistribution

2000-10-19 Thread Bryan Caplan
. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan "We may be dissatisfied with television for two quite different reasons: because our set does not work, or because we dislike the program we are rece

Re: Top 10 Economic Puzzles

2000-10-25 Thread Bryan Caplan
In answer to your question, then, each IQ percentile on average raises your annual labor earnings by .5%; each year of school raises them by 10.3%. Of course you can fiddle with these results, but most of them look roughly like this. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL

Tabarrok in the Economist

2000-10-25 Thread Bryan Caplan
Alex is too modest to tell us, I suppose, but: He has a full-page piece in the current issue of the *Economist*! It's as good a one-page ad on pharmaceutical price controls you could hope for. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED] http

Re: Top 10 Economic Puzzles

2000-10-25 Thread Bryan Caplan
tion where we remain unable to say much. What really disturbs me is that most rate of return to education studies still fail to control for IQ! -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan "We may be dis

Re: Top 10 Economic Puzzles

2000-10-26 Thread Bryan Caplan
my reading, focuses more on job performance than earnings (though of course there is a good amount on that too). From all that I've heard, a lot of the stuff in the Bell Curve hadn't been done before. Maybe I'm missing a whole literature - if I am I'd like to know. -- Prof. Br

Re: Top 10 Economic Puzzles

2000-10-26 Thread Bryan Caplan
think are "pretty easy"? -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan "We may be dissatisfied with television for two quite different reasons: because our set does not work, or bec

Re: Murray/Hernstein

2000-10-27 Thread Bryan Caplan
, but intelligence still matters a great deal. On the other hand, as behavioral geneticists (and Chris?) will point out, since SES partially reflects genotype, this measure *understates* the real importance of intelligence. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED] http

Re: Murray/Hernstein

2000-10-28 Thread Bryan Caplan
nomists are happily ignoring the issues M/H raise. In short, most economists would learn a lot from TBC. How many published articles can you say that about? -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan "

Re: Murray/Hernstein

2000-10-29 Thread Bryan Caplan
around with practioners for a while to get a feel for what they actually do. I'm not too happy with any graduate econometrics text, but I use Johnston and DiNardo. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan

Re: Murray/Hernstein

2000-10-29 Thread Bryan Caplan
Chris Auld wrote: Bryan Caplan wrote: Most of these wind up being dependent variables at some point in their book. I'm not sure why that helps their case at all -- it's as if they've produced a whole bunch of reduced form equations, treating age, and, probably inappropriately, SES

Re: The Empirical Relevance of Arrow

2000-11-12 Thread Bryan Caplan
is all the fuss about? -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] "A man should be sincere, and nobly shrink From saying anything he

Florida and voteauction.com

2000-11-24 Thread Bryan Caplan
Does anyone know how many Floridian votes were being sold as a bloc on voteauction.com, and how much they were going for? This was quite plausibly enough to swing the whole election, and probably sold for a few thousand dollars! -- Prof. Bryan Caplan

excellent column

2000-11-24 Thread Bryan Caplan
Landsburg's column "I've Got to Admit It's Getting Better" is excellent. It explains a really novel idea for calculating the rate of quality improvement. http://slate.msn.com/economics/00-02-09/economics.asp -- Prof. Bryan Caplan

webpage update

2000-11-27 Thread Bryan Caplan
epartments/economics/bcaplan/econ.html -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] "[T]he power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy, except in those hap

[Fwd: Fwd: C.M. Cipolla basic laws of stupidity]

2000-09-07 Thread Bryan Caplan
I can't resist forwarding this. I think the 4th law is the one economists should think about the most. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan "We may be dissatisfied with television for two

Re: Imperfect Reasoning (was: reading recommendation)

2000-09-26 Thread Bryan Caplan
People "talk a lot" about this?! Maybe in a few odd sub-cultures. I can't recall any family member every talking this way, for example. Maybe you're meta-rational, but I can't think of anyone else who resembles you in this way. :-) -- Prof. Bryan Caplan

Re: PS2 weirdness, cont.

2000-12-20 Thread Bryan Caplan
. Consider for example a billionaire with no time preference (beta=1). He values his Playstation at a constant $10,000/month. Thus, even without time preference, he'd pay $20,000 to get the Playstation two months sooner. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department

The Delegation Illusion?

2001-01-03 Thread Bryan Caplan
their agents' actions - and voters fall for it. But in these two examples we have the flip side of the delegation illusion - when the principals *try* to exert the control that the written rules give them, people get angry at them for interfering with the agents' activities. --

Re: Airline firms

2001-01-17 Thread Bryan Caplan
are the source of the monopoly power, competitive bidding would lead to full dissipation of the rents, no? -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] "[T]he

Re: Airline firms

2001-01-17 Thread Bryan Caplan
g airlines are losing money on the marginal slots they win bids for? -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] "[T]he power of instruction is seldom of much e

Re: More Guns, Less Crime?

2001-01-19 Thread Bryan Caplan
at picture, but they are surely likely to point out widespread gun (if not handgun) ownership in Switzerland, and wonder how 6x the handgun ownership rate in the U.S. leads to a 1000x increase in the handgun murder rate. (If that's not a typo). -- Prof. Bryan Caplan

Re: More Guns, Less Crime?

2001-01-21 Thread Bryan Caplan
? -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] "A man should be sincere, and nobly shrink From saying anything he does not

Voluntary Pollution Control

2001-02-01 Thread Bryan Caplan
ty, if any? -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] "[T]he power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy, except in those happy dispositions where it is alm

Growth, Wealth, and Race

2001-02-15 Thread Bryan Caplan
would happen? Does anyone have hard evidence on this? -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] "Philosophical problems can be compared to locks on safes,

spending and states

2001-09-05 Thread Bryan Caplan
states are over-represented in the winner states, and vice versa. Does anyone know of more systematic evidence on this point? -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL

[Fwd: Krugman should read Bastiat]

2001-09-17 Thread Bryan Caplan
Here it is, Pierre. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] Familiar as the voice of the mind is to each, the highest merit we ascribe to Moses, Plato

Re: Handicapping the 2001 Noble Prize in Economics

2001-09-20 Thread Bryan Caplan
My wish (not prediction): Joint prize for Anne Krueger and Gordon Tullock for rent-seeking. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] Familiar as the voice

Re: Airlines

2001-09-26 Thread Bryan Caplan
then isn't the optimal response to reallocate resources from the airline and related travel industries into other industries? Especially when the negative externality of flying has been shown to be far bigger than anyone imagined! -- Prof. Bryan Caplan

Re: Disaster Raises Happiness, Trust

2001-10-01 Thread Bryan Caplan
A lot of Soviet citizens, similarly, (retrospectively) claimed they were happiest during World War II, when something like 1-out-of-8 perished! -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com

The beta of education

2001-10-08 Thread Bryan Caplan
Does anyone know education's beta, that is, the correlation between the return to education and the average market rate of return? How much of a risk-premium should education have compared to, say, bonds or stocks? -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department

Re: 2001 Economic Nobelists

2001-10-10 Thread Bryan Caplan
In a way, isn't dividing the prize 3 ways a slap in the face to Akerlof and Stiglitz? Stiglitz in particular, I suspect, would have preferred not to have won this year in the hope of getting an unshared prize. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department

Re: Signaling

2001-10-15 Thread Bryan Caplan
. In addition, many blurbs provide information about subject matter, not just praise. If 5 political science professors write your blurbs, that helps prospective readers decide if your book is up their alley. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics

Re: books

2001-12-12 Thread Bryan Caplan
This discussion of favorite books is straying too far out of economics. If your favorite books have nothing to do with economics, please take the discussion off-list. Thanks. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason

Re: The Median Voter Theorem and Adoption Law

2002-01-07 Thread Bryan Caplan
group explanations. Simple reason: Most of the policies traditionally blamed on interest groups are in fact *popular*. Adoption laws seem like a case where existing policies are not popular, though perhaps I'm wrong on that count. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan

Re: The Median Voter Theorem and Adoption Law

2002-01-07 Thread Bryan Caplan
, but on average it's better? I doubt many people have that reaction. As for trans-racial adoption, many people wouldn't want to do it themselves, but how many actually want to prevent other people from doing it? -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics

Re: The Median Voter Theorem and Adoption Law

2002-01-07 Thread Bryan Caplan
in question. They could have a direct influence if they wanted to. Neglecting a situation you could affect is just as easy for voters to punish as anything else. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http

Re: The Median Voter Theorem and Adoption Law

2002-01-08 Thread Bryan Caplan
Fred Foldvary wrote: --- Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: I'm highly dissatisfied with interest group explanations. Simple reason: Most of the policies traditionally blamed on interest groups are in fact *popular*. Adoption laws seem like a case where existing policies

Re: The Median Voter Theorem and Adoption Law

2002-01-08 Thread Bryan Caplan
, is that positions on a lot of little issues add up. And it isn't the absolute size of the issue, but the size relative to the effort that counts. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com

Re: The Median Voter Theorem and Adoption Law

2002-01-08 Thread Bryan Caplan
an interesting story, but it's different from your earlier ones. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] He was thinking that Prince Andrei was in error and did

Re: Photographers

2002-01-23 Thread Bryan Caplan
And of course normal developers always include the negatives. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] He was thinking that Prince Andrei was in error and did

Re: Photographers

2002-01-23 Thread Bryan Caplan
who try to buy the negatives from you are precisely the people who would be willing to pay a lot for extra copies. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] He

[Fwd: Photographers]

2002-01-24 Thread Bryan Caplan
From Mark Steckbeck: -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] He was thinking that Prince Andrei was in error and did not see the true light, and that he

Life Expectancy and Immigration

2002-01-25 Thread Bryan Caplan
Life expectancy varies widely between countries. When someone moves to a new country, what best predicts their lifespan? Country of origin? Or country of destination? -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University

Re: Life Expectancy and Immigration

2002-01-25 Thread Bryan Caplan
of any data? -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] He was thinking that Prince Andrei was in error and did not see the true light, and that he, Pierre

Median Voter and Welfare

2002-02-06 Thread Bryan Caplan
wants. They only support radical reforms conditional on things that are sure to never happen. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] He was thinking

Tax Deductibility and Tax Policy

2002-03-26 Thread Bryan Caplan
this effect? And if so, why is such a large fraction of state funding based on sales taxes? -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] He was thinking that Prince Andrei

Panic Room

2002-04-04 Thread Bryan Caplan
David Fincher's new movie *Panic Room* may be the finest artistic expression of game theory around. Beautiful illustrations of commitment problems, subgame perfection, focal points, backwards induction... And its pure entertainment. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan

Re: re : securities analysis

2002-04-05 Thread Bryan Caplan
effect? Thaler says average ROR in January is 3.5%, versus an average of .5% for all other months. Is this another case of basis points being exagerated into percentage points? -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason

Re: re : securities analysis

2002-04-05 Thread Bryan Caplan
, no? -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] Smerdyakov suddenly raised his eyes and smiled. 'Why I smile you must understand, if you are a clever man,' he seemed

Me in The Times of London

2002-05-13 Thread Bryan Caplan
Shameless self-promotion: There was a lengthy editorial about my recent Economic Journal article published in The Times of London: http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan/capecon.htm -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics

shameless self-promotion

2002-06-13 Thread Bryan Caplan
I just updated my cv. I'm particularly pleased with my recent piece in the Economic Journal. http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/bcaplan/cv.htm -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http

double vs. single entry

2002-06-27 Thread Bryan Caplan
What exactly is the advantage of double-entry accounting over single-entry accounting? -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] He wrote a letter, but did

Re: double vs. single entry

2002-06-27 Thread Bryan Caplan
you mistakenly count a debit as a credit. The advantage is huge when you have to do things by hand. It also helps you track errors more quickly. What's wrong with negative numbers?! -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason

children and cooperation

2002-07-11 Thread Bryan Caplan
drastically the 12th-grade high school culture differs from the 1st-year college culture. Other ideas? -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] He wrote

Re: children and cooperation

2002-07-11 Thread Bryan Caplan
-- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] He wrote a letter, but did not post it because he felt that no one would have understood what he wanted to say

Re: Why do people pick stocks?

2002-07-15 Thread Bryan Caplan
and holding in the lowest cost mutual fund is a lot more than .2% per year. - - Bill Dickens -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] He wrote a letter, but did

Re: Index mutual funds

2002-07-15 Thread Bryan Caplan
and active trading, (b) managed mutual funds, (c) index funds, and (d) buy and hold with discount brokers? I would still guess that (c) closes 90% of the distance between (a) and (d), but I'd like to hear your guesstimate. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department

Re: Silent Takeover

2002-07-15 Thread Bryan Caplan
with that. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] He wrote a letter, but did not post it because he felt that no one would have understood what he wanted to say, and besides

take-in/eat out

2002-07-22 Thread Bryan Caplan
the work of thousands of local stores. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] He wrote a letter, but did not post it because he felt that no one would have

Re: from whence, belief? Better society comparisons

2002-07-22 Thread Bryan Caplan
I think this topic is getting too far afield for armchair. Take it off the list, if you please. :-) -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] He wrote

Re: Republican Reversal

2002-07-22 Thread Bryan Caplan
is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] He wrote a letter, but did

The Public Believes in Mean Reversion

2002-07-23 Thread Bryan Caplan
A kind of funny result from Excite's informal poll: 48% surveyed think that the Dow will rise over the next month, vs. 32% who think it will fall. http://poll.excite.com/poll/results.jsp?cat_id=1 -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics

[Fwd: availability]

2002-07-24 Thread Bryan Caplan
I've previously given Kuran and Sunstein's Stanford Law Review piece on available cascades an enthusiastic recommendation. If you remember the idea, you'll like the attached joke. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason

Re: Silent Takeover

2002-07-29 Thread Bryan Caplan
Kevin Carson wrote: From: Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED] First, the roads and airports are already here, so there would not be much of a decentralizing effect of cutting off subsidies and eminent domain now. But because of the effect of subsidies in distorting the market price link

Re: Public support for farm subsidies

2002-07-31 Thread Bryan Caplan
. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] He wrote a letter, but did not post it because he felt that no one would have understood what he wanted to say, and besides

Public Opinion On Spending

2002-07-31 Thread Bryan Caplan
. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] He wrote a letter, but did not post it because he felt that no one would have understood what he wanted to say, and besides

Re: Public support for farm subsidies

2002-07-31 Thread Bryan Caplan
Bryan Caplan wrote: You can check your public opinion guesses about various kinds of spending at: http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/GSS/ Click S for spending. But first click Subject on the left-hand menu! Sorry. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department

Re: Public Opinion On Spending

2002-07-31 Thread Bryan Caplan
certainly expect initial support to be lower, leading to initially smaller programs. Once the programs exist, people come to want larger programs, and politicians respond accordingly. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason

Re: Environmental and economic effects of Speed Limits

2002-08-20 Thread Bryan Caplan
(or to make them change their policy), it's still going strong I suppose they don't pay the higher insurance premiums - probably 80-90% of the full amount you pay for a traffic offense. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason

Re: Median Voter vs. The Sub-optimal Equilibria

2002-08-26 Thread Bryan Caplan
preference is whatever his preference is, within some limits. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] He wrote a letter, but did not post it because he felt that no one

Re: Median Voter vs. The Sub-optimal Equilibria

2002-08-26 Thread Bryan Caplan
. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] He wrote a letter, but did not post it because he felt that no one would have understood what he wanted to say, and besides

Interesting Survey

2002-08-26 Thread Bryan Caplan
and other things that get in your personal space. It's not the dollar value of the issue so much as its immediacy and intrusiveness. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL

Inter-racial Adoption

2002-08-26 Thread Bryan Caplan
that really flip 80% for to 51% against? Highly implausible. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] He wrote a letter, but did not post it because he felt

Re: how to eliminate unemployement

2002-08-26 Thread Bryan Caplan
to eliminate unearned benefits is to eliminate the existence of benefits. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] He wrote a letter, but did not post it because he

Re: Median Voter vs. The Sub-optimal Equilibria

2002-08-26 Thread Bryan Caplan
. -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] He wrote a letter, but did not post it because he felt that no one would have understood what he wanted to say, and besides

Re: Median Voter and Sampling

2002-08-26 Thread Bryan Caplan
? -- Prof. Bryan Caplan Department of Economics George Mason University http://www.bcaplan.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] He wrote a letter, but did not post it because he felt that no one would have understood what he wanted to say, and besides

Re: how to eliminate unemployement

2002-08-27 Thread Bryan Caplan
their buildings, etc? , it would be possible to recoup the value of improvements. The only difference would be, that one could not fence off land he was not occupying or using himself, and charge others for access to it. From: Bryan Caplan [EMAIL PROTECTED] What about the effect

  1   2   >