Re: greetings from the freecalypso project

2015-11-16 Thread Spacefalcon the Outlaw
Paul Wise wrote: > Are you planning to rewrite the proprietary source code from TI/etc so > that freecalypso could be released under a Free Software license? Absolutely not. The 1000 person-years that would be required for such a task should instead be spent doing

Re: Changing IMEI of Freerunner with Firmware Flash

2015-05-11 Thread Spacefalcon the Outlaw
Rash ras...@milacom.de wrote: is it possible for data protection reason to change the IMEI of the freerunner via firmware? The instructions are right here: https://www.freecalypso.org/leo2moko/ffs-edit-kit.html Please also note that the FreeCalypso community now has its own general info

FreeCalypso got its own mailing list

2015-04-30 Thread Spacefalcon the Outlaw
To those interested in modem firmware for the Freerunner that is compiled from full source (no blobs) with gcc under GNU/Linux and is therefore amenable to possible further improvements, as well as anyone interested in any of the other libre phone goals listed in my State of FreeCalypso post from

Re: State of FreeCalypso

2015-04-22 Thread Spacefalcon the Outlaw
Bob Ham r...@settrans.net wrote: I disagree. The same pathological need still seems very much present. And the emphasis here is on the pathological. In your emails to this list, there is still a very strong strain of psychological disequilibrium and this is a bad thing, for the list, the

Re: State of FreeCalypso

2015-04-22 Thread Spacefalcon the Outlaw
Bob Ham r...@settrans.net wrote: As I said, perhaps I can help you to achieve some peace. Your help in that department is unwelcome and unwanted. I kindly ask that you please stop your unwelcome intrusion into my personal life. However, an absence of your writings on this list would benefit

Re: State of FreeCalypso

2015-04-21 Thread Spacefalcon the Outlaw
Bob Ham r...@settrans.net wrote: Why is your wellness dependant on a phone? Because I use one to stay in touch with the people who matter in my life, and I need this essential communication device to be free from closed black-box firmware. It is also a well-known fact that most free software

Re: State of FreeCalypso

2015-04-21 Thread Spacefalcon the Outlaw
Joshua Judson Rosen roz...@geekspace.com wrote: OsmocomBB? Unfortunately they seem to have absolutely no interest in producing a phone (or firmware for a phone) which an end user could carry in her purse. Their software absolutely requires the phone to be tethered to a PC at all times (instead

Re: State of FreeCalypso

2015-04-21 Thread Spacefalcon the Outlaw
Bob Ham r...@settrans.net wrote: Because I use one to stay in touch with the people who matter in my life What would be the consequences if you didn't have a mobile phone to do that? I do have a mobile phone for communicating with my family and friends etc, and have had one continuously

Re: State of FreeCalypso

2015-04-21 Thread Spacefalcon the Outlaw
Paul Wise pa...@bonedaddy.net wrote: In 2017, ATT will be shutting down their GSM network in the USA in favour of 3G/4G. If ATT likes losing customers, it's their choice. I use T-Mobile (satisfied customer since 2003 with just one short break before I entered the libre phone scene in 2011),

Re: State of FreeCalypso

2015-04-18 Thread Spacefalcon the Outlaw
n...@ossau.homelinux.net wrote: but I find it hard to forget the unacceptably violent threats that you've made in the past (on this list) towards particular people. The people you are referring to tormented me in the most heinous manner for a full 2 years (from the fall of 2011 till about the

Re: State of FreeCalypso

2015-04-18 Thread Spacefalcon the Outlaw
joerg Reisenweber jo...@openmoko.org wrote: Thanks for brining it up, Neil. Alas, you see, it's in vain. Despite al= l the=20 good will from our side. [...] I don't hold any grudges against you. I don't consider you an enemy. I don't have any ill will toward you or any of your former

State of FreeCalypso

2015-04-18 Thread Spacefalcon the Outlaw
Hello community, This periodic post is a summary of the goals of the FreeCalypso family of projects and the high-level status toward their achievement. Goals = The overall end goals of the project are, in no particular order: 1. Produce a standalone realization of Openmoko's modem. I have

Re: GTA02 PCB layout files found!

2015-04-11 Thread Spacefalcon the Outlaw
Nick openmoko-commun...@njw.me.uk wrote: Where does that leave the indiegogo campaign? Is the money not needed now? It is indeed no longer needed for the original purpose for which the campaign was started when the original PCB files were believed to have been lost. The campaign page has

GTA02 PCB layout files found!

2015-04-10 Thread Spacefalcon the Outlaw
Hello Om community, I am overjoyed to announce that the original PCB layout files for Openmoko GTA02 have been located and published. I asked Sean M-P about them in mid-February and he quickly replied that he had no problem with releasing them, but actually *finding* a surviving copy took a bit

Crowdfunding campaign for cloning the GTA02

2015-04-05 Thread Spacefalcon the Outlaw
Hello Openmoko community, As many of you know, Openmoko GTA01 and GTA02 phones are/were the only two smartphone models in all of history on which it is possible - albeit unofficially - to run free firmware on the baseband processor. In the case of this elderly TI Calypso baseband there is not

Re: Free phone: smart or not?

2015-03-16 Thread Spacefalcon the Outlaw
Matthias Apitz g...@unixarea.de wrote: I do not exactly know what a 'smartphone' is. Harald Welte gave a clear technical definition in one of his presentations: a smartphone is a phone that has two separate processors for the application and baseband functions. It's a clear technical

Free phone: smart or not?

2015-03-16 Thread Spacefalcon the Outlaw
g...@unixarea.de wrote: I'm using since 2008 the FR as my one and only cellphone. This is not lying, it is just a fact. And I do not know any other person from this list who is doing so. Nick openmoko-commun...@njw.me.uk followed: I am too. The only thing that makes me tempted to switch

WTB GTA02 board w/o case or display

2015-01-30 Thread Spacefalcon the Outlaw
Hello Om community, I already have one complete GTA02, and I use it for development, but now I have a need for one or more bare GTA02 boards - as in no case or display. (My single complete GTA02 is far too precious to mess with it in that manner.) Would anyone happen to have such a bare GTA02

Re: WTB GTA02 board w/o case or display

2015-01-30 Thread Spacefalcon the Outlaw
D. Shalnoff shaln...@openmailbox.org wrote: by the way, is there no finished gerbers in wiki or repositories? Is anybody have a last version of GTA02 PCB files? To the best of my knowledge, they were never released publicly - which is why I'm looking into the possibility of recovering that