On 9/1/10, Timo Jyrinki timo.jyri...@gmail.com wrote:
Newest community update now available at
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Community_Updates/2010-09-01 and plain
text version below.
In addition to myself the latest edition was brought to you by:
( as usual, you can help out with the next edition at
Period 2010-08-01 to 2010-08-31
*** Distributions ***
Debian is a universal operating system used on many other embedded
devices, and also on home computers. Using Debian on the FreeRunner
gives access to the huge army of software packaged in the Debian
repositories, already compiled for the Neo's arm(v4) processor.
Moreover, one can build one's own source files for programs without
having to learn the OpenEmbedded way. For an existing Debian/Ubuntu
user, choosing Debian for Neo FreeRunner makes phone a very familiar,
trustworthy and flexible place to hack in.
* The ARM servers sponsored by ARM Ltd. got activated, thus
experimental packages are built for arm now. That means also fso-gsmd
got built for the Freerunner.
* SHR packages have been removed from pkg-fso repository, they all
arrived in Debian unstable, and just in time for Debian 6.0 freeze.
The biggest hurdle for official FreeRunner support in Debian is the
kernel, since basically everything else starts to be in, in one form
or another. There are currently two places with FreeRunner related
kernels in Debian:
* Official kernel support for Neo FreeRunner devices is being
developed by worked in a s3c24xx branch at
- thanks to Thibaut Girka and Google Summer of Code.
* The legacy 2.6.29rc3 kernel at
http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-fso/linux-2.6-openmoko.git also saw a
slight update in August - this is still included in Debian
installations by default
Qtmoko is distribution for Openmoko Freerunner phone based on debian
and qtopia. Here is a list of notable changes since previous stable
* Fixed WS (white screen) problem in qmplayer QX rotation (Gennady
* Fixed unresponsive touchscreen after resume (Gennady Kupava)
* Use blue indicator is used for wifi activity (Alex Samorukov)
* Reconnect wifi after resume (Alex Samorukov)
* Updated QtMaze with better graphics and other enhancements
* We use kernel modules for bluetooth
* Many updates and bugfixes to QMplayer
* More reliable GPRS connection (Alex Samorukov)
* Bluethooth updates
* APGS and GPS standby support (Piotr Gabryjeluk)
* Fixed When locked power management mode
* Bigger QTerminal (no tabs whith only one session)
* Raptor - GUI for apt package manager
* New nice theme called finximod (Joif)
* Many updates and bugfixes to Arora (Ant+Alex)
* New apps - qweather (Anton Olkhovik) and qneoriod game (Bala)
* PDF support in eyepiece (Alex Samorukov)
For a more complete list of changes and some additional info please
read the announcement mail
*** Applications ***
Offline dictionary reader made in C with Enlightenment Elementary UI.
Version 0.3 of eStarDict adds support for czech-english dictionary.
You have to remember, that right now it can manage only one dictionary
Tested on: SHR-Unstable,SHR-Testing
*** Community ***
Most important and change making mails on the mailing lists, blogs
etc.. Coolest hacks, screenshots, themes etc..
* TI OMAP3 SoC + 3G replacement board preserving Neo case
display - discussion about the prospect is heating up:
* WikiReader sales and the future of Openmoko - Martix shares a
truly interesting interview with Sean Moss-Pultz:
* Glamo timing improvements (= more speed without caveats) can be
done also in run time, and also pre-compiled Qi with settings set by
Qi are available:
*** Event News ***
* 2010 Autumn German Open HardSoftware Workshop in Munich; will
cover Openmoko, Beagle Board, Arduino, OpenPandora, ...; still in
planing phase, Doodle scheduling link:
Shr-User mailing list