[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2020-05-19 Thread guy.brush
I don’t think anyone has an agenda here. People are searching for a way to give feedback and to communicate their frustration with this change. Obviously, this change which broke functionality that many users relied on caused quite a bit of frustration. -- You received this bug notification

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2020-05-18 Thread amano
Why can't you just move on? What is your stupid agenda? -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore type-ahead find To manage notifications about this

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2020-05-18 Thread Norbert
The real fix for whole modern GNOMEs Hell is simple - do not use it. Remove it (for example on 20.04 LTS with https://askubuntu.com/a/1233026/66509 ) and install normal DE instead - with Caja, Dolphin, Nemo, Thunar or whatever. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2020-05-18 Thread CarlosRuiz_globalqss
For reference only: Old gnome bug resolved as obsolete: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=681871 Recent bugs opened with same topic: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/-/issues/1157 - with 9 related tickets closed https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/-/issues/1154 ** Bug

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2020-05-18 Thread teo1978
Actually this one is marked as fixed because it was indeed fixed several years ago, but then the fix was lost (i.e. the patch not rewritten) when a new version of gnome was released, "because" search is faster now, which according to some nonsensical reasoning by those who don't uderstand this

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2020-05-18 Thread CarlosRuiz_globalqss
This ticket was opened 7 years ago, and after 160 comments, nobody seems to care about. I lost all my hope that ubuntu or gnome are going to take care of this, probably 259 affected people is too little for them. I installed nemo 1 year ago, and didn't come back, I'm happy with nemo bringing me

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2020-05-18 Thread Anton Gousier
SEARCHING IS NOT NAVIGATING, please. Besides the debate on whether the option to disable search when starting to type should exist (I think it should), #144 has raised quite an important side effect: searching should not make it look like files are deleted. -- You received this bug notification

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2019-10-03 Thread teo1978
Debate? I haven't seen any debate. And no, your proposed "solution" is no solution to the issue. That's a good possible improvement to the search itself, but type-ahead should do select, NOT search for the obvious reasons that have already been pointed out which are not solved by your proposed

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2019-10-03 Thread Antonin Chambolle
I think a nice way to solve this stupid debate could be to ensure that the files are displayed in a STABLE order - type ahead results from the current folder first - folders first - files in the current folder before the other files... what is MOST annoying with the current feature is that when

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2019-07-25 Thread Shevek
This change has made the system effectively inappropriate for use in a business situation where mistakes are to be avoided. In the old system, searching within a folder for a file to send to a client would only list files from that folder. Now, file-open and so on show me files from ANYWHERE ON

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2019-07-17 Thread ts
So mate used to be great but doesn't seem to be a solution anymore either, type-ahead-find seemingly has been replaced for search-as-you- type in mate sometimes this summer as well, too. +1 for replacement, it could at least be a configuration option -- You received this bug notification

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2019-05-03 Thread Mathew Hodson
** Bug watch removed: gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/issues #244 https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/issues/244 ** Bug watch removed: GNOME Bug Tracker #679900 https://gitlab.gnome.org/679900 -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2019-05-03 Thread Mathew Hodson
** Bug watch removed: GNOME Bug Tracker #680118 https://gitlab.gnome.org/680118 ** Bug watch removed: GNOME Bug Tracker #699087 https://gitlab.gnome.org/699087 ** Bug watch removed: GNOME Bug Tracker #699455 https://gitlab.gnome.org/699455 ** Bug watch removed: GNOME Bug Tracker

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2019-05-01 Thread Norbert
+1 @teo1978 (teo8976) Users will decide. The most radical solution would be purging the whole GNOME desktop and install MATE DE instead. I switched to MATE in 2013 and I'm completely happy with it. In MATE the Caja file-manager (fork of Nautilus) has normal search even in 19.04. Also it has

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2019-04-30 Thread teo1978
> The Gnome team is extremely resistant to bring back the old intuitive > functionality. > I tried to explain the problems at > https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/issues/244 > , as did many others. Trying to reason with the Gnome team is a complete waste of time. That's why Ubuntu should

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2019-04-23 Thread Tuomo Sipola
Please bring this functionality to Ubuntu's Nautilus. Disco now has the distressing search functionality extended even to the save dialog. The Gnome team is extremely resistant to bring back the old intuitive functionality. I tried to explain the problems at

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2019-04-21 Thread Norbert
** Tags added: eoan -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore type-ahead find To manage notifications about this bug go to:

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2019-03-14 Thread CarlosRuiz_globalqss
Agree with Grant, not easy, but doable. I migrated to nemo 42 days ago following this guide: https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/07/how-to-replace-nautilus-with-nemo-file.html I must say I can't be more happy :-) Again things work as I would expect in a file explorer. Typeahead works - but also

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2019-03-14 Thread Grant Woodford
I am switching to Nemo because of this. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore type-ahead find To manage notifications about this bug go to:

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2019-02-08 Thread Ads20000
This is an upstream GNOME bug (though you might want to make the case that Ubuntu should deviate from the default GNOME behaviour for this issue, in which case please open a new bug since I don't think standard practice is to re-open old bugs like this when it has been fixed in an Ubuntu

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2019-02-01 Thread Chris Billington
I don't know how long it will take, but in the meantime Ubuntu could ship the patch maintained by the Arch community: https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/nautilus-restore- typeahead.patch?h=nautilus-typeahead It looks like this patch is kept up to date pretty well. There is a similar

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2019-02-01 Thread teo1978
> In reality, > recursive search is useful, and I want to use it, but it's different to > typeahead Exactly, they are two completely different, unrelated things, and if the Nautilus devs can't understand something as elementary as that, Ubuntu shouldn't be using software developed by those people

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2019-02-01 Thread Mihir Gadgil
Is there any timeline as to when this stupidity is going to be fixed? This is a very very very basic functionality for any file explorer; something any new application should add. Taking it out of a software that has already had it for years and annoying people who rely on it is simply illogical.

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2019-02-01 Thread Chris Billington
I don't think it's true that an option is always good. I think software should endeavour to have decent default options, and if multiple use cases can be accommodated without an option, then that is preferable. But you're right, a recursive search with ctrl-f vs typeahaed with simple typing would

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2019-02-01 Thread teo1978
There's no need for an option. You can already do a recursive search with Ctrl+F. I "can't believe" one would want to enable type-ahead-recursive-search instead of type-ahead-select-in-current-folder by default just to spare themselves the trouble of hitting Ctrl+F. However, an option, even if

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2019-01-31 Thread Bruno Duyé
Today, as often, I installed Ubuntu to a new Linux user, coming from Windows. Everything is great and well designed, intuitive, and quick ... then ... this lady began to feel confortable and wanted to quickly jump to the photo named "IMG232.jpg"; so she started to type "IMG" on her folder,

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2019-01-30 Thread teo1978
Yeah right. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore type-ahead find To manage notifications about this bug go to:

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2019-01-30 Thread CarlosRuiz_globalqss
Please read https://www.ubuntu.com/community/code-of-conduct -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore type-ahead find To manage notifications about

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2019-01-30 Thread teo1978
@Javier if by "they" you mean the upstream Nautilus developers, that's right: they don't even understand it's a bug. The Gnome development team, or at least the part responsible for Naitulus, has proven many times to be a bunch of idiots. For the last several years, they have taken many design

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2019-01-30 Thread javier
They do not think to fix It :( -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore type-ahead find To manage notifications about this bug go to:

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2019-01-30 Thread teo1978
Why the fuck hasn't this been reopened yet?? -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore type-ahead find To manage notifications about this bug go to:

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2019-01-10 Thread आर्य
I installed a PPA that served as a workaround, until an update this morning. Now there is no type-ahead and the PPA does not work. One more vote for a type-ahead. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu.

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-12-09 Thread Norbert
** Tags added: disco -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore type-ahead find To manage notifications about this bug go to:

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-11-05 Thread CarlosRuiz_globalqss
I think the change is interesting - what seems annoying is to force the user - not letting us choose. In my case - installing back the old nautilus. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu.

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-11-03 Thread zhanghongce
One more vote for a type-ahead navigation rather than a search. The search is stupid. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore type-ahead find To

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-10-29 Thread javier
I changed to Dolphin :-( -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore type-ahead find To manage notifications about this bug go to:

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-10-26 Thread Allan Boll
+1. Type-ahead is basic expected functionality of a file browser. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore type-ahead find To manage notifications

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-09-13 Thread Jan-Jonas Sämann
This stupid behavior isn't only inconvinient, -> this really BREAKS FUNCTIONALITY if you work on network resources. Especially in Germany where possible internet speeds in many locations do not exeed well known dialup connection speeds. What happens then is a complete lockup on nautilus while

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-09-04 Thread anonymous mouse
OK. So I was a happy user of 16.04. With a new computer in August, I thought it would make sense to go with 18.04. One of the biggest issues is this searching stuff in Nautilus. Why? 1. It is not instant (unlike the type/find ahead of Nautilus in 16.04). I cannot type and then press enter and

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-08-24 Thread Malac
Please put this back in. I never understand why developers /remove/ features instead of leaving them in and making it an option. The previous org->gnome->nautilus->preferences setting accomplished this fine and should have been left active. -- You received this bug notification because you are

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-08-20 Thread Milton Lai
The most painful thing in Ubuntu 18.04. The search functionality is terrible when I just want to navigate to certain folder/file in a long list. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu.

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-08-13 Thread Andrew Simpson
There is a fundamental difference between search (what you do when you don't know where something is) and navigate (what you do when you know exactly where something is, and want to go there). Why the gnome team have chosen to conflate them, and their mental state while doing so, is anyone's

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-08-13 Thread teo1978
> I can't completely understand what GNOME developers are trying to achieve! > 18.04 LTS and 18.10 are trying to perform search after entering first letter. The underlying assumption seems to be that when you type the name of a file, the only thing you may possibly want is to search for that

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-08-13 Thread Norbert
I can't completely understand what GNOME developers are trying to achieve! This functionality was used for years. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and 16.04 are not affected. But 18.04 LTS and 18.10 are trying to perform search after entering first letter. The patch for Nautilus in 18.04 LTS is available (see

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-08-13 Thread Norbert
** Tags added: bionic cosmic -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore type-ahead find To manage notifications about this bug go to:

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-07-24 Thread mkurz
Unbelievable. Upgraded to Ubuntu 18.04 to find out about this crappy behaviour. Please fix it. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore type-ahead

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-06-17 Thread teo1978
> Please only send constructive comments. Here's a constructive comment: Ubuntu, as a distribution, should switch to another default file manager other than Nautilus, because Nautilus is poorly maintained and the upstream developers keep making bad design decisions that only make the software

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-06-17 Thread Henrik Holmboe
@teo1978 could you please spare us your comments, they are offensive and does not help. Please only send constructive comments. If you want to affect the right people into understanding your point of view, then you will have a much better chance if you are nice to begin with. -- You received

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-06-17 Thread teo1978
> Sounds to me like those in charge of deciding the direction of gnome / > nautilus / etc. > don't really think about the users as much as they should They don't THINK much at all, let alone about the users. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-06-17 Thread Starbeamrainbowlabs
What's the status on this please? Someone seems to be maintaining a PPA that restores the functionality over at https://launchpad.net/~lubomir- brindza/+archive/ubuntu/nautilus-typeahead how hard would it be to just accept that version as the official version of nautilus? Sounds to me like

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-05-07 Thread Ljiljan Veselinovic
Why don't we have both options? Why removing something that we like (find folder/file with a letter) and insisting on something else (search)? I am trying to get used to this new behavior for almost a week, but it is just slowing me down. This could be implemented as simple as this: ## keypress

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-05-07 Thread Ljiljan Veselinovic
In Ubuntu 18.04 this problem is now present again :-( it is really annoying... -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore type-ahead find To manage

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-05-04 Thread Lubomir Brindza
Try this: https://launchpad.net/~lubomir-brindza/+archive/ubuntu /nautilus-typeahead The changes are based on the patch from Arch community (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/nautilus-typeahead/), with slight modifications to work on 3.26.3 release. -- You received this bug notification

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-04-12 Thread Maxim Berman
Very often files many subfolders contain files with the same name as in the folder you are browsing. Example: Makefiles, .git folders, etc. With recursive search these files all show up without a clear way to distinguish them. :( -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-03-30 Thread Henrik Holmboe
Perhaps a legit workaround: https://askubuntu.com/questions/980855/make- nemo-produce-desktop-icons-gnome-3-26-1-on-ubuntu-17-10 -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu.

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-03-30 Thread teo1978
> Anyway I did, like yesterday, and it got closed > (can't find it right now [...]) Here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/1754069 -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu.

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-03-30 Thread teo1978
"not so well developed/maintained"? You mean worse than Nautilus?? -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore type-ahead find To manage notifications

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-03-30 Thread Serge
Unfortunately this is really a deal-breaker for me and forces me to drop Nautilus and experiment with other, perhaps not so well developed/maintained, GUI file managers. What a pity. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-03-08 Thread teo1978
> If that is genuinely the reason (and this bug has been marked as "Fix > Released" > since Jan 2014, so it seems correct), then is it not time to raise a new bug? Maybe (though it seems a little stupid to raise a new bug for exactly the same issue). Anyway I did, like yesterday, and it got

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-03-07 Thread Henrik Holmboe
@adpsimpson-gmail there is already #181: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/181 -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-03-07 Thread Andrew Simpson
> Oh I see why: most of us cannot change back the status of the bug once it has been changed to "fix released" (which is stupid, too). If that is genuinely the reason (and this bug has been marked as "Fix Released" since Jan 2014, so it seems correct), then is it not time to raise a new bug? --

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-03-07 Thread teo1978
@109 this is already known to be the wrong behavior. It was introduced long ago by the hopelessly stupid Nautilus people, and patched by Ubuntu to reestablish the old sensible behavior, but something must have gone wrong in the latest release and so the idiocy has resurfaced. What I don't

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-03-07 Thread Henrik Holmboe
The old behaviour was one of the power features of Nautilus for a person that uses keyboard navigation. The new behaviour is dramatically different and frankly doesn't work as well for many use cases. Lets say I want to quickly navigate to ~/code/myproject/module/__init__.py. 1. I switch to

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-02-13 Thread ju2gle
This is really awful! -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore type-ahead find To manage notifications about this bug go to:

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2018-02-09 Thread Birger Skogeng Pedersen
As someone who constantly uses type-ahead find when browsing files, I can't stand the current behavior. Who actually wants it this way? I'm replacing Nautilus for now, please fix this. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2017-12-26 Thread Michael Borkowski
17.10, this is annoying as hell. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore type-ahead find To manage notifications about this bug go to:

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2017-12-07 Thread teo1978
Fucking unbelievable -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore type-ahead find To manage notifications about this bug go to:

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2017-12-06 Thread Stathis Aliprandis
I can also confirm on 17.10 (3.26.0) -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore type-ahead find To manage notifications about this bug go to:

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2017-10-20 Thread drunckoder
I can confirm there's an issue again on Ubuntu 17.10 -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore type-ahead find To manage notifications about this bug

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2017-09-11 Thread Max D
This is up to date again in 17.10 -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore type-ahead find To manage notifications about this bug go to:

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2016-03-01 Thread Bug Watch Updater
** Changed in: nautilus Status: Confirmed => Expired -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore type-ahead find To manage notifications about

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2015-02-19 Thread Sebastien Bacher
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/1300308 is due to this change (ctrl-s in list view selects only one element) -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu.

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-06-17 Thread M4he
@Ajay: That's a rather subjective opinion! Search will always get slow on huge folders. Because of the technical nature of type-ahead it is still fast even on huge folder contents. When I use type-ahead it takes me less than 1 second to choose and enter a folder. I know my folders and their

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-06-16 Thread Ajay Anand
Jumping to the file beginning with the typed letter is NOT the best behavior. Searching all the folders and subfolders when something is typed is also not the best behavior. THE BEST BEHAVIOR IS: Searching all the folders and subfolders when something is typed is the best behavior given a

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-06-16 Thread Ajay Anand
Until the best behavior (mentioned above) is incorporated, I recommend using the fallback mode: grep and find. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title:

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-03-11 Thread matteo sisti sette
I totally second comments #90 and #91 This bug demonstrates (if any more proof was needed) that Nautilus needs to be replaced with something else by default in Ubuntu (and in any distro trying to be of any use), quite urgently. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-02-15 Thread Adolfo Jayme
Any chance this bug will be closed soon or is there a long review process? The fix has been released already in Ubuntu (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+changelog). If you're asking about GNOME, then contact a GNOME developer or comment on their bug tracker. -- You received this

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-02-15 Thread Adam Dingle
Daniel, I believe you should now be awarded the Bountysource bounty for this bug. It hasn't closed yet (probably because this bug still points to an open GNOME issue that is only semi-related), but I just emailed them asking to close the bounty. They're usually pretty responsive so I expect to

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-02-15 Thread Daniel Wyatt
@Adam: Thanks, much appreciated! -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore type-ahead find To manage notifications about this bug go to:

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-02-14 Thread Daniel Wyatt
Any chance this bug will be closed soon or is there a long review process? (I could use the bounty) -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-01-30 Thread Bug Watch Updater
** Changed in: nautilus Status: New = Confirmed -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore type-ahead find To manage notifications about this

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-01-25 Thread Blaster
Whenever developers shows lack of interest in use-case based feature-implementation, i just point them to this bug. If the still don't get it, i'll tell them to open the /usr/share/themes-folder in Nautilus using just a keyboard. Most of them will just yell obscenities and set PCManFM or Thunar as

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-01-25 Thread Vaclav Petras
Thanks to the people fixing this bug, in the first place. However, I'm sorry to put it in this way but Blaster pointed out what is the real bug which caused this one. It is the strange policy in the Nautilus development. This might be fixed by changing the policy or changing the file manager in

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-01-25 Thread Blaster
@Vaclav Petras (wenzeslaus) #91 For now the only solid fix for the bug is this: 1) Install PCManFM via Ubuntu Software Center 2) ctrl+alt+T or a terminal 3) Do this: (works on both Gnome Shell and Unity) xdg-mime default pcmanfm.desktop inode/directory sudo mv

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-01-24 Thread Angelicfury1
Thanks everyone. Can't wait for 14.04. Using nautilus in 13.10 is insufferable. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore type-ahead find To manage

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-01-24 Thread Daniel Wyatt
I'm pretty happy to see this in proposed too. Thanks to Robert Ancell as well for helping merge this (fixing some of my mistakes). Also, don't hesitate to nudge the nautilus people into reconsidering this: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=721968

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-01-23 Thread Launchpad Bug Tracker
This bug was fixed in the package nautilus - 1:3.8.2-0ubuntu11 --- nautilus (1:3.8.2-0ubuntu11) trusty; urgency=medium * debian/patches/interactive_search.patch: - Restore interactive search as an option (lp: #1164016) -- Daniel Wyatt daniel.wy...@gmail.com Wed, 22 Jan 2014

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-01-23 Thread Launchpad Bug Tracker
This bug was fixed in the package ubuntu-settings - 14.04.2 --- ubuntu-settings (14.04.2) trusty; urgency=medium * Use type ahead find by default in Nautilus (LP: #1164016) -- Robert Ancell robert.anc...@canonical.com Wed, 22 Jan 2014 15:18:03 +1300 -- You received this bug

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-01-22 Thread Sebastien Bacher
The patch has been uploaded and is currently in trusty-proposed, a new issue has been reported with that version, bug #1271605 Cannot close window if type-ahead entry is open ** Changed in: nautilus (Ubuntu) Status: In Progress = Fix Committed ** Changed in: ubuntu-settings (Ubuntu)

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-01-22 Thread Adam Dingle
Wow - it's great to see this land in proposed at last! Many thanks to Daniel, Sebastien, and everyone else who's helped make this happen. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu.

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-01-21 Thread Robert Ancell
** Also affects: ubuntu-settings (Ubuntu) Importance: Undecided Status: New ** Changed in: ubuntu-settings (Ubuntu) Status: New = In Progress ** Changed in: ubuntu-settings (Ubuntu) Importance: Undecided = Medium ** Changed in: ubuntu-settings (Ubuntu) Assignee:

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-01-21 Thread Launchpad Bug Tracker
** Branch linked: lp:ubuntu/trusty-proposed/ubuntu-settings ** Branch linked: lp:ubuntu/trusty-proposed/nautilus -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title:

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-01-20 Thread Mantas Kriaučiūnas
** Bug watch added: GNOME Bug Tracker #681871 https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=681871 ** Changed in: nautilus Importance: Medium = Unknown ** Changed in: nautilus Status: Invalid = Unknown ** Changed in: nautilus Remote watch: GNOME Bug Tracker #699087 = GNOME Bug

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-01-20 Thread Bug Watch Updater
** Changed in: nautilus Status: Unknown = New ** Changed in: nautilus Importance: Unknown = Wishlist -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title:

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-01-14 Thread Sebastian Bengtsson
I navigate nautilus with typeahead, enter and backspace. Used to work wonderfully and was a good example of how the same interface can be usefull usefull for both power user and novice. Now that is completely broken. This is not a performance problem (tracker/no tracker), it is a qualitative

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-01-14 Thread Vaclav Petras
Just for reference, the ticket backspace does not moves to parent directory is here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/1124632 -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu.

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-01-13 Thread Laurent Dinclaux
Gimme it back ! -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore type-ahead find To manage notifications about this bug go to:

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-01-12 Thread Osmo Salomaa
Thanks Daniel, just to report, this worked fine against 3.8.2 in Debian unstable, I'm using it now and everything seems to work fine. And, please do take the patch upstream, even if it might seem frustrating to argue this case once more. -- You received this bug notification because you are a

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-01-12 Thread Daniel Wyatt
@Osmo: Glad to hear that. And I have taken it upstream, forgot to mention: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=721968 ** Bug watch added: GNOME Bug Tracker #721968 https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=721968 -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of

[Bug 1164016] Re: restore type-ahead find

2014-01-12 Thread Daniel Wyatt
Upstream killed it so I guess we'll just have to hope it's accepted into Ubuntu for now. -- You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to nautilus in Ubuntu. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1164016 Title: restore type-ahead find To

  1   2   >