Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-12-18 Thread Otto Fowler
e.org" <dev@metron.apache.org> > Cc: Matt Foley <mfo...@hortonworks.com> > Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release > > That script seems great, nick! Perhaps we should adjust the wiki around > releases to point to it? Thoughts? > > On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 1:47 P

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-12-18 Thread Nick Allen
directory for > “release_utils”. > > From: Casey Stella <ceste...@gmail.com> > Date: Friday, December 15, 2017 at 10:50 AM > To: "dev@metron.apache.org" <dev@metron.apache.org> > Cc: Matt Foley <mfo...@hortonworks.com> > Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release &g

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-12-15 Thread Casey Stella
ev@metron.apache.org> > Cc: Matt Foley <mfo...@hortonworks.com> > Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release > > That script seems great, nick! Perhaps we should adjust the wiki around > releases to point to it? Thoughts? > > On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 1:47 PM, Nick Allen <n...@nick

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-12-15 Thread Matt Foley
Perhaps under “build_utils” we should add a subdirectory for “release_utils”. From: Casey Stella <ceste...@gmail.com> Date: Friday, December 15, 2017 at 10:50 AM To: "dev@metron.apache.org" <dev@metron.apache.org> Cc: Matt Foley <mfo...@hortonworks.com> Subject: Re

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-12-15 Thread Casey Stella
dix doc to > the > > Release Process documentation. I’ll do that. > > Cheers, > > --Matt > > > > > > On 12/15/17, 9:15 AM, "Nick Allen" <n...@nickallen.org> wrote: > > > > Hi Matt - > > > > I just updated like 15+ JIRAs

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-12-15 Thread Nick Allen
> > > On 12/12/17, 5:14 AM, "Nick Allen" <n...@nickallen.org> wrote: > > > > RC1 is looking good to me. I validated the MD5s, built Metron, > built > > the > > Bro plugin and reviewed the other artifacts li

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-12-15 Thread Nick Allen
let’s see if anyone else find other issues. >> > >> > >> > >> > From: Otto Fowler <ottobackwa...@gmail.com> >> > Date: Saturday, December 9, 2017 at 6:16 AM >> > To: Matt Foley <mfo...@hortonworks.com>, "dev@m

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-12-15 Thread Matt Foley
t; > > > From: Otto Fowler <ottobackwa...@gmail.com> > > Date: Saturday, December 9, 2017 at 6:16 AM > > To: Matt Foley <mfo...@hortonworks.com>, "dev@metron.apache.org" < > > dev@metron.apache.org>

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-12-15 Thread Nick Allen
> Date: Saturday, December 9, 2017 at 6:16 AM > > To: Matt Foley <mfo...@hortonworks.com>, "dev@metron.apache.org" < > > dev@metron.apache.org> > > Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release > > > > > > > > So

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-12-12 Thread zeo...@gmail.com
gt; From: Otto Fowler <ottobackwa...@gmail.com> > > Date: Saturday, December 9, 2017 at 6:16 AM > > To: Matt Foley <mfo...@hortonworks.com>, "dev@metron.apache.org" < > > dev@metron.apache.org> > > Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release &

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-12-12 Thread Matt Foley
<mfo...@hortonworks.com>, "dev@metron.apache.org" < > dev@metron.apache.org> > Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release > > > > So RC2 then? > > > > On December 8, 2017 at 20:43:21, Matt Foley (mfo...@hortonworks.com)

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-12-12 Thread Nick Allen
ey <mfo...@hortonworks.com>, "dev@metron.apache.org" < > dev@metron.apache.org> > Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release > > > > So RC2 then? > > > > On December 8, 2017 at 20:43:21, Matt Foley (mfo...@hortonworks.com) > wrote: > > Hah, here

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-12-10 Thread Matt Foley
Yes, but let’s see if anyone else find other issues. From: Otto Fowler <ottobackwa...@gmail.com> Date: Saturday, December 9, 2017 at 6:16 AM To: Matt Foley <mfo...@hortonworks.com>, "dev@metron.apache.org" <dev@metron.apache.org> Subject: Re: [DISCUSS]

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-12-09 Thread Otto Fowler
So RC2 then? On December 8, 2017 at 20:43:21, Matt Foley (mfo...@hortonworks.com) wrote: Hah, here it is: https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/743 “This problem seems to only reproduce when one unrolls a tarball rather than cloning from github.” Heh, the exclusion at

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-12-08 Thread Matt Foley
Hah, here it is: https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/743 “This problem seems to only reproduce when one unrolls a tarball rather than cloning from github.” Heh, the exclusion at https://github.com/apache/metron/blob/master/pom.xml#L351 is still there, but the hashcode in the bundle.css file

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-12-08 Thread Matt Foley
I remember having trouble with this bundle.css file on the last release, but I can’t remember what we did about it. Anybody? On 12/8/17, 1:41 PM, "Otto Fowler" wrote: Steps - Downloaded tar.gz’s, asc files and KEYS - Verified signing of both

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-12-08 Thread Otto Fowler
Steps - Downloaded tar.gz’s, asc files and KEYS - Verified signing of both tar.gz’s - searched for rouge 0.4.1 entries - verified the main pom.xml - built : mvn clean && time mvn -q -T 2C -DskipTests install && time mvn -q -T 2C surefire:test@unit-tests && time mvn -q

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-12-08 Thread zeo...@gmail.com
I poked around the RC briefly and spun up full dev with and without sensors, no issues so far. Jon On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 4:34 AM Matt Foley wrote: > Colleagues, > I’ve posted Metron-0.4.2-RC1 and Metron-bro-plugin-kafka-0.1 to >

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-12-08 Thread Matt Foley
Colleagues, I’ve posted Metron-0.4.2-RC1 and Metron-bro-plugin-kafka-0.1 to https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/metron/0.4.2-RC1/ Given the complexity of this RC, I’d appreciate if a couple people would be willing to kick the tires before we put it up for a vote. I will myself be going thru

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-12-04 Thread zeo...@gmail.com
Can we resolve the conversation regarding the second repo? I was waiting to get more input/preferences from people There's also a documentation update that fixes a few broken Stellar docs that already has aa +1, I just need to merge it. Jon On Mon, Dec 4, 2017, 17:01 Casey Stella

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-12-04 Thread Casey Stella
I would be in favor of a release at this point. On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 4:57 PM, Matt Foley wrote: > Hey all, > I see METRON-1252 was resolved over the weekend. Shall I go ahead and > start the process with 0.4.2 release? > Does anyone have any commits they feel strongly

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-12-04 Thread Matt Foley
Hey all, I see METRON-1252 was resolved over the weekend. Shall I go ahead and start the process with 0.4.2 release? Does anyone have any commits they feel strongly should go in before 0.4.2 is done, or are we ready to call it good? I believe there is consensus the 0.4.2 release should

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-11-27 Thread Otto Fowler
Considering the problems we are having with people building the node stuff on centos, would it make sense to wait to take a potential PR that allows full metron builds in our ansible docker image? On November 26, 2017 at 21:26:27, Matt Foley (ma...@apache.org) wrote: Hope everyone (at least

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-11-26 Thread Matt Foley
Hope everyone (at least in the U.S.) had a great Thanksgiving holiday. Regarding status of the release effort, still pending METRON-1252, so not making the release branch yet. Regards, --Matt On 11/17/17, 1:32 PM, "Matt Foley" wrote: (With release manager hat on)

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-11-18 Thread zeo...@gmail.com
Should we consider drafting some bare metal install instructions for 0.4.2 that can be a part of the release? Similar to https://github.com/apache/metron/tree/master/metron-deployment/other-examples/manual-install Or do we want to continue to have those instructions outside of the releases

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-11-17 Thread Ryan Merriman
Makes sense now. Thanks Matt. > On Nov 17, 2017, at 4:25 PM, Matt Foley wrote: > > Hi Ryan, > Yes and no. The last release (see > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/metron/ ) was 0.4.1, announced on > 9/19. > Immediately after that we bumped the of builds

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-11-17 Thread Matt Foley
Hi Ryan, Yes and no. The last release (see https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/metron/ ) was 0.4.1, announced on 9/19. Immediately after that we bumped the of builds from master branch, per https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/METRON-1196 . This is consistent with the Release

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-11-17 Thread Nick Allen
Our last release was 0.4.1, so the next would be at least 0.4.2. We recently have been keeping master at the next presumed release version. On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 4:59 PM, Ryan Merriman wrote: > Matt, > > I think we are currently on version 0.4.2. If that is the case

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-11-17 Thread Ryan Merriman
Matt, I think we are currently on version 0.4.2. If that is the case would the next version be 0.4.3? Ryan On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 3:31 PM, Matt Foley wrote: > (With release manager hat on) > > The community has proposed a release of Metron in the near future, > focusing on

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-11-17 Thread Matt Foley
(With release manager hat on) The community has proposed a release of Metron in the near future, focusing on Meta-alerts running in Elasticsearch. Congrats on getting so many of the below already done. At this point, only METRON-1252, and the discussion of how to handle joint release of the

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-11-17 Thread Nick Allen
I just wanted to send an update on where we are at. We've gotten a lot done here recently as you can see below. ✓ DONE (1) First, METRON-1289 needs to go in. This one was a fairly big effort and I am hearing that we are pretty close. ✓ DONE (2) METRON-1294 fixes an issue in how field types

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-11-16 Thread Nick Allen
Sorry, missed one. I think this is the one Jon prefers. (5) The other alternative is just to complete Jon's roadmap BEFORE the next release. On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 10:37 AM, Nick Allen wrote: > Just to layout some other alternatives... > > (1) [Jon] Make a release in

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-11-16 Thread Nick Allen
> (1) [Jon] Make a release in apache/metron-bro-plugin-kafka, then update Ansible to pin to that release. The problem with this approach, as I see it, is that it commits us to having separate releases for the Bro plugin. Which I am not sure if or how long it will take to come to a consensus on

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-11-16 Thread Nick Allen
Just to layout some other alternatives... (1) [Jon] Make a release in apache/metron-bro-plugin-kafka, then update Ansible to pin to that release. (2) [Jon] Update Ansible to pin to a specific commit. (3) Wouldn't the submodule approach solve this? I imagine that if we use a submodule, then all

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-11-16 Thread zeo...@gmail.com
The problem is that we're currently pinning to master and if something in the plugin breaks backward compatibility, our prior releases will be perpetually broken, which is why I suggest it blocks the upcoming release. The alternative would be to update ansible to pin to a specific commit or to

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-11-16 Thread Nick Allen
While I think that the Bro work is super valuable, Jon, I am not sure that we need to block the next release for it. In my mind, the "theme" of the next release is Metaalerts running on ES 2.x. I'd prefer to just stick with that. I was hoping we could get the remaining "Metaalerts + ES 2.x" PRs

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-11-16 Thread zeo...@gmail.com
My PR is to turn it into a package containing a plugin* On Thu, Nov 16, 2017, 08:01 zeo...@gmail.com wrote: > The way master's full-dev is set up right now is non optimal for the bro > plugin configuration, and I would like to complete the roadmap I outlined > in my discuss

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-11-16 Thread zeo...@gmail.com
The way master's full-dev is set up right now is non optimal for the bro plugin configuration, and I would like to complete the roadmap I outlined in my discuss thread before a release. I have a PR open against Apache/metron-bro-plugin-kafka right now to turn it into a plugin, and I expect it

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-11-15 Thread Matt Foley
I’ve been listening. Looks like there are still a number of major issues to be committed first, right? The discussion on this thread constitutes sufficient engagement, I think, especially given the Subject line :-) Would the folks working on the 6 issues listed by Nick care to suggest a

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-11-15 Thread Casey Stella
I'd say that if a release is this imminent that we had better notify the release manager who will make a release announcement, Nick. Matt, are you tuning in to this? On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 10:04 AM, Nick Allen wrote: > Hi Guys - > > I want to follow-up on this discussion.

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-11-06 Thread Otto Fowler
When I speak of the mpack situation, I’m speaking of the discussion around removing them. On November 6, 2017 at 15:14:59, Michael Miklavcic ( michael.miklav...@gmail.com) wrote: Kibana and MPack are currently being handled as part of the ES upgrade. I'm recreating the Kibana dashboards right

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-11-06 Thread Michael Miklavcic
Kibana and MPack are currently being handled as part of the ES upgrade. I'm recreating the Kibana dashboards right now. Long story short, there was an issue upgrading from our pickle file, so I'm recreating it from scratch and will attempt an alternative approach to storing the dashboard

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-11-06 Thread zeo...@gmail.com
I agree, I think it's very reasonable to move in line with Nick's proposal. I would also suggest that we outline what the target versions would be to add in the METRON-777 components, since it has been functional for a very long time but not reviewed and has some really rockstar improvements.

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-11-06 Thread Otto Fowler
I think the ES cutover should be the start of the 0.5.x series, and we continue on with 0.4.x for the metadata improvements etc. We could chose to focus 0.5.x’s first releases on not only ES but getting a handle on kibana and the mpack situation as well. On November 6, 2017 at 12:48:45,

Re: [DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-11-06 Thread Michael Miklavcic
I agree with your proposal, Nick. I think having a stabilizing release prior to upgrading ES/Kibana makes sense. On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 9:16 AM, Nick Allen wrote: > I would like to start a discussion around upcoming releases. We have a > couple separate significant tracks

[DISCUSS] Upcoming Release

2017-11-06 Thread Nick Allen
I would like to start a discussion around upcoming releases. We have a couple separate significant tracks of work that we need to reconcile in our release schedule. (1) We have had (and have in review) a good number of bug fixes required to support Metaalerts on the existing Elasticsearch 2.x