Re: DConf 2019 Livestream

2019-05-08 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Wednesday, 8 May 2019 at 08:00:15 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:

On Wednesday, 8 May 2019 at 07:57:40 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
The venue uses WebEx for livestreaming. All the information is 
available in this PDF:


https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yekllbfOmxHqJNuuWIVeP9vNeROmfp1I


"When joining: Please connect using Internet Explorer, not 
Google Chrome or another web

browser."

You guys can't be serious, you're using WebEx?


I could be wrong, but I think this also means we'd need to watch 
the videos on webex in the future, not just the livestream.


Re: DStep 1.0.0 on the Blog

2019-04-22 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Monday, 22 April 2019 at 12:24:16 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
To coincide with the announcement of DStep 1.0.0, Jacob 
submitted a post to the D Blog that goes into detail on all the 
new stuff included in this release.


The blog:
https://dlang.org/blog/2019/04/22/dstep-1-0-0/

Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/bg1ezr/dstep_100_generate_d_bindings_from_c_and/


Nice post. I think "DStep" in the first sentence should be a link 
to the Github page. I didn't see any other links to it until the 
very bottom of the page.


Re: DIP 1018--The Copy Constructor--Formal Review

2019-02-25 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Monday, 25 February 2019 at 19:24:55 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:


From the process document:

“the DIP Manager or the Language Maintainers may allow for 
exceptions which waive requirements or responsibilities at 
their discretion.”


If you were to write a DIP for a feature they think important 
enough, it could be fast tracked, too.


I hate to be so negative, but when I see D's corporate management 
structure, the lack of community contribution is obvious. It 
doesn't exactly motivate contributions. This is no way to run an 
open source project. I understand that it works well for Facebook 
because everyone on the team is paid six figures, and they can be 
replaced in two hours, but an open source project is not Facebook.


I know the whole argument about why it is that way. That doesn't 
mean it's going to work.


Re: Top Five World’s Most Underrated Programming Languages

2019-01-24 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Wednesday, 23 January 2019 at 18:42:06 UTC, bauss wrote:


Go is garbage and it's only popular because Google is behind it.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the language itself.


I don't know if I'd agree that it's garbage - it has a lot of 
appeal to certain types of programmers, though not to me - but I 
do agree that it's popular (to whatever extent it is) because of 
Google. I remember when the language was first announced, there 
were a lot of people excited by the prospect that GOOGLE IS 
CREATING A LANGUAGE. IT HAS TO BE AWESOME. These were not people 
who tried the language and found it to be better than the 
alternatives. They were people who hadn't even seen it. That was 
back in the days when Microsoft was the devil and Google were the 
good guys.


Of course, one could argue that it must have offered enough to 
keep some of them interested. They were able to get stuff done 
when they used it.


Re: Top Five World’s Most Underrated Programming Languages

2019-01-23 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
On Wednesday, 23 January 2019 at 12:26:02 UTC, rikki cattermole 
wrote:


Also as an FYI, Rust has had significant marketing effort put 
into it. Consider its home page, it tells a story to get you 
into developing code fast. D's doesn't. It is much better and I 
think it might be time to have a complete rethink of D's 
because the last redesign wasn't all that different to what it 
was prior.


I've made this comparison many times before, but I'll do it 
again...


Look at what Rust offers as documentation for Cargo:
https://doc.rust-lang.org/cargo/index.html

This is what you get with Dub:
https://dub.pm/getting_started

One is professional documentation, the other was something hacked 
together by a sixth grader over the weekend. The Dub 
documentation is good through the part demonstrating `dub init`, 
then it falls apart. It talks about two configuration file 
formats - not one, but two ("use whichever you prefer") and I 
have no idea there is even a discussion of configuration file 
formats at that point. Then there's a link to this word dump 
https://dub.pm/package-format-json.html.


Noticeably absent: how I'm supposed to *use* Dub. Where do I put 
my source files? How do I add dependencies? Have you ever heard 
of an example?


Then a little below that is a link to this page: 
https://dub.pm/publish.html. I wonder what that is for. Can't 
make heads or tails out of that.


This is *introduction to the language*. If someone sees that and 
doesn't run away, there's something wrong. I most definitely 
would have gone with Rust if it had been usable when I started 
using D. The Dub documentation makes it really hard to bring in 
users - and makes Rust look like a sane language in comparison.


Re: The New Fundraising Campaign

2019-01-19 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Saturday, 19 January 2019 at 16:15:21 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

I wonder if it's worth it to split the database into an active 
part (for recent threads) and an archive part (for older 
threads that are unlikely to change). Most of the lookups will 
be in the smaller active part, which hopefully will be more 
performant, and old posts will be migrated to the archive to 
maintain a maximum active size.


Whatever the problem, it's reasonable to raise money to fix it. 
We shouldn't expect Vladimir to do all the work for something 
like this.




Re: The New Fundraising Campaign

2019-01-19 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Saturday, 19 January 2019 at 08:17:30 UTC, Anonymouse wrote:

On Saturday, 19 January 2019 at 06:43:34 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
This forum is very functional.  I would participate less in a 
forum that requires loading up a browser to use. But then 
again, maybe people would be happier if I wasn't around to 
blab about vim and symmetry and why dub sux, so perhaps that 
might be for the better. :-P



T


For us on the browser pages don't always load, though.


The norm is for pages to not load in the browser. I don't think 
it's necessary to elaborate on the impression this creates on 
potential users.


Re: The New Fundraising Campaign

2019-01-18 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
On Friday, 4 January 2019 at 10:30:07 UTC, Martin Tschierschke 
wrote:



Cool, what a wonderful start to the year 2019!
A big thank you to all pushing the development of D with money 
and time!

What next Mike?


Hopefully a campaign to put together a working forum. Would you 
invest major resources in a language that doesn't even have a 
usable forum?


Re: My Meeting C++ Keynote video is now available

2019-01-14 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Monday, 14 January 2019 at 03:58:37 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:

Because design by introspection allows us to "assemble programs 
atomically", perhaps high-level language features like classes 
and interfaces can become obsolete, and the language itself can 
be reduced simpler primitives that don't require the overhead 
of a runtime.


Only a small sliver of programming involves anything where 
"overhead of a runtime" is an issue. I hope you intend this 
comment as pertaining to Better C usage.


Re: My Meeting C++ Keynote video is now available

2019-01-14 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Monday, 14 January 2019 at 05:31:27 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:

Scheme is probably the language that takes this idea of a 
minimal "core language" with powerful metaprogramming 
facilities the furthest, and the result is a fragmented 
ecosystem that makes writing portable, non-trivial programs 
close to impossible. (See "The Lisp Curse" [1].)


Much as I hate to disagree with folks on the internet, this is an 
explanation in search of an example. Scheme was originally 
created as a toy language so Steele and Sussman could have an 
object oriented language with actors.[1] It later turned out to 
be a good language for SICP. Macros did not even appear in the 
Scheme standard until R4RS, and they were not part of the 
standard until R5RS in 1998, 23 years after initial work started 
on Scheme. That's not to say that individual implementations 
didn't have Common Lisp macros prior to R5RS, but the 
metaprogramming thing was more of a Common Lisp thing than a 
Scheme thing.


To me, it's obvious why Scheme has never taken off. It wasn't 
created as a language for widespread commercial usage. That was 
the realm of Common Lisp, and to some extent Common Lisp 
succeeded. CL was not killed by excessive use of macros.


I'll also note that R started as a dialect of Scheme, but it was 
designed for practical use from the start, and it has millions of 
users. D has little hope of ever achieving the popularity of R. 
You can do all kinds of metaprogramming with R. I got tired of 
R's lack of proper tail call support, so added a working 
implementation of Clojure's recur in a couple of hours.


Extrapolating from Scheme to D is simply not the best use of 
one's time.


[1] See page 33 of https://dreamsongs.com/Files/HOPL2-Uncut.pdf


Re: Blog post: What D got wrong

2018-12-18 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Tuesday, 18 December 2018 at 12:20:48 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
On Tuesday, 18 December 2018 at 10:19:14 UTC, Russel Winder 
wrote:
Clojure is but you have to work hard for that, the initial 
language is effectively pure.


https://ideone.com/y8KWja clearly it isn't, its site only 
claims that most code happens to be pure, but it looks like 
it's not checked in any way and not sure if purity can be even 
checked there.


From the Clojure homepage: "Clojure is impure, yet stands behind 
the philosophy that programs that are more functional are more 
robust." The goal is to make it easy to program in a functional 
style, not to provide a pure functional programming language. It 
is like OCaml in that respect.


Re: Autowrap for .NET is Now Available

2018-12-13 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Thursday, 13 December 2018 at 11:24:05 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
I am pleased to announce that Autowrap has now gained the 
ability to generate .NET interfaces for D libraries! This means 
that if you have a D library that you would like to call from 
.NET you can now Autowrap it and use the library in .NET as if 
it were any other .NET assembly.


I've never done much with .NET. Will this allow calling of D 
libraries from F#?


Re: D compilation is too slow and I am forking the compiler

2018-11-26 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Monday, 26 November 2018 at 16:21:39 UTC, Joakim wrote:

I agree that it was a risky title, as many who don't know D 
will simply see it and go, "Yet another slow compiler, eh, I'll 
pass" and not click on the link. Whereas others who have heard 
something of D will be intrigued, as they know it's already 
supposed to compile fast. And yet more others will click on it 
purely for the controversy, just to gawk at some technical 
bickering.


I don't actually think it was risky. What are the odds that 
someone was going to start using D for a major project but then 
changed her mind upon seeing a title on HN or Reddit? Probably 
very small that even one person did that.


On the other hand, it says a lot of other things:

- There's an active community that cares about the language.
- It's not a dying language.
- Fast compilation is a realistic possibility.
- There are users with the technical ability to make the compiler 
faster.


And then there is always the fact that there was a story on 
HN/Reddit about D. It's hard for publicity for a language like D 
to be bad when so few people use it.


Re: LDC 1.13.0-beta1

2018-11-05 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Saturday, 3 November 2018 at 16:33:36 UTC, kinke wrote:

I figured it'd be for a lot of Windows users. Why not 
explicitly express your gratitude with a little 'thank you' 
then? After all, that little bullet point in the release notes 
easily took some 40 hours of my spare time, and some 
appreciation can work wonders to keep motivation up.


Thanks for your work. I don't actually use Windows, but this is 
much bigger than just one user, as it makes D a viable option for 
data science. It allows the use of D by millions of R users who 
mostly know nothing about compiled languages. If you're looking 
for D's killer app, this is it. But that wasn't possible without 
a sane Windows installation experience - and having to tangle 
with VS made it unrealistic for 99.9%+ of all users. That 
restriction is now gone. Hopefully that gives you motivation to 
keep working.


Re: LDC 1.13.0-beta1

2018-11-02 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Friday, 2 November 2018 at 21:04:13 UTC, kinke wrote:
* The Windows packages are now fully self-sufficient, i.e., a 
Visual Studio/C++ Build Tools installation isn't required 
anymore.


That's a very big deal for me. It will be realistic for R users 
on Windows to use packages that contain D code.


Re: smile.amazon.com Promotion

2018-11-01 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Thursday, 1 November 2018 at 03:18:44 UTC, SealabJaster wrote:
It's kind of discouraging to see that your post, as well as 
another thread asking something similar regarding the vision 
document[1] have gone unanswered...


Maybe the people who could answer these things just don't see 
them, or maybe they're purposefully being quiet. It would be 
nice to know what's going on at the very least ;(


[1] 
https://forum.dlang.org/thread/qmwovarkjgvxyibsl...@forum.dlang.org


There is nothing stopping the community from doing things like 
raising money for improving the user experience and marketing the 
language. Walter and Andrei do not have to be involved in 
anything outside of the core language development. No vision 
document is needed.


Neither Walter or Andrei is a CEO. We should be realistic and act 
accordingly.


Don't get me wrong, it would be great if the DLF did these 
things, but it's not happening now and it's not happening ever. 
The question is who will provide the leadership to move things 
forward. To this point, nobody has stepped up.


Re: Wed Oct 7 - Avoiding Code Smells by Walter Bright

2018-10-15 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Monday, 15 October 2018 at 22:30:32 UTC, Nicholas Wilson wrote:

On Monday, 15 October 2018 at 21:23:13 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

I'm giving a presentation at:

http://nwcpp.org/

See you there!


Where'd you get your time machine from? I want one!


std.timetravel was merged in DMD 2.082


Re: gRPC for D is released.

2018-10-11 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Thursday, 11 October 2018 at 12:15:43 UTC, Brian wrote:
hunt-grpc is Grpc for D programming language, hunt-http library 
based.




hunt-grpc project:
https://github.com/huntlabs/hunt-grpc


Could you at least link to https://grpc.io/about/ so others know 
what this is?


Re: Dpp on run.dlang.io

2018-08-06 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Monday, 6 August 2018 at 13:43:46 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:

And Octave (via the .mex interface) - this one's important 
because it opens the door to using D as an extension language 
to Matlab


If an Octave extension written in D works, do you have anywhere 
to point me to on what's needed to make it work with Matlab?  
(Is it usually drop-in compatible?)


Unfortunately I don't use Matlab and don't have a license to try 
out. However, as I understand Octave's mex interface, the 
original goal was to allow Matlab extensions to be compiled and 
run in Octave. Otherwise you could have a core language that ran 
Matlab code but extensions would still lock you in to Matlab. 
Thus, I'm assuming that the ability to use Octave's mex interface 
implies ability to use Matlab's.


Re: Dpp on run.dlang.io

2018-08-06 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Sunday, 5 August 2018 at 22:43:42 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:

One benefit of D is as a better glue language that integrates 
well with other languages and ecosystems.  Many people who know 
a bit about D have no idea that interop can work so easily or 
well.


So it might be worth mentioning this benefit as one link from 
main page and then linking from that to new page that mentions 
and has runnable examples (using HAR) for:


Python (via autowrap:python and pyd)
C (via dpp)
C++ (extern(C++) for now)
R (via embedr)
Julia (via C interface, including julia.h via dpp)
Lua (if LuaD stable enough)


And Octave (via the .mex interface) - this one's important 
because it opens the door to using D as an extension language to 
Matlab


Re: SAoC Updates

2018-07-31 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Tuesday, 31 July 2018 at 03:23:41 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:

Second, it is incumbent upon non-student applicants who are 
currently employed by a software development firm to ensure 
there are no contractual barriers to participating.


That seems risky - an employer may claim ownership of those 
contributions.


Re: Symmetry Autumn of Code

2018-07-23 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Monday, 23 July 2018 at 13:02:33 UTC, Zheng (Vic) Luo wrote:

Another issue of this program is that me, as an incoming 
graduate in the U.S., are prohibited to "work" in my first 
school year. (that law doesn't affect GSoC since summer is 
considered as the second school year). I'm not sure whether 
contributing to open-source projects is considered as "work" 
here. There are some legal issues related. I'm looking forward 
to some clarifications like 
(https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/faq#is_gsoc_considered_an_internship_a_job_or_any_form_of_employment) stating that this program is an "employment" or not.


I'm not an attorney working on immigration law, but Symmetry is 
not a US company AFAIK, so I don't see how that is relevant. Of 
course you should check with someone with appropriate expertise 
first.


Re: dpp now compiles julia.h headers

2018-07-19 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Friday, 13 July 2018 at 19:02:56 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
Atila Neves' d++ now compiles julia.h.  Modulo bugs this makes 
it possible to embed Julia in D (and probably the other way 
around, but I have not tried).


https://github.com/kaleidicassociates/juliad


Related: Everything worked out of the box with Gretl. I posted my 
notes on my website

https://lancebachmeier.com/computing/dpp-gretl.html


Re: dpp now compiles julia.h headers

2018-07-13 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Friday, 13 July 2018 at 19:02:56 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
Atila Neves' d++ now compiles julia.h.  Modulo bugs this makes 
it possible to embed Julia in D (and probably the other way 
around, but I have not tried).


https://github.com/kaleidicassociates/juliad


This is great news for me. A lot of new Julia code is being 
written by economists. I was going to work on this once I had a 
block of time.


Re: I have a plan.. I really DO

2018-07-12 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Thursday, 12 July 2018 at 11:36:15 UTC, RhyS wrote:

Its the same with the donations. I stated before that D as a 
organisation with its financing feels very mysterious. You do 
not see where the money goes


I've raised this issue elsewhere. I think there would be more 
incentive to donate if the money were used to do the boring 
things that are needed to make the language more usable. AFAICT, 
the money goes to internal compiler work to add new features to 
the language in order to appeal to C++ users. The work is done in 
secret (well, unless you want to go through Github threads) and 
there is not much communication even after it's done.


I think a larger issue is that a lot of older community members 
have been with the D language for years upon years and they are 
tired of people complaining on issues.


Actually, they are the ones that do most of the complaining. They 
do get upset when others make false arguments though.


Part of that is simply that people come to D looking for a easy 
language and discover the over focus on C/C++ and run into the 
issues.


True. Lately all official communications about D are about memory 
management, making the language as complicated and boring as 
Rust. That's not the fault of the D leadership though. It 
reflects the lack of effort on the part of others that want to 
use the language for something other than a C++ replacement. 
There is nothing stopping anyone from building up a community 
that is not connected to the core language developers. That is 
actually how it works with any successful language. If you think 
you could do a better job dealing with the rough edges, just go 
ahead and do it. You don't need permission. That's how open 
source works, and indeed, the fact that you don't need permission 
is the point of open source.




Re: I have a plan.. I really DO

2018-07-06 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Wednesday, 4 July 2018 at 20:17:59 UTC, Maksim Fomin wrote:

I am from area of economic, financial and scientific 
calculations used in decision making.


So am I.

It is hard for me to provide arguments for using D (meaning 
from professional area view) because c++ can be used for 
performance and D is poor in statistical libraries. Because it 
is applied area nobody cares whether exceptions have root class 
or whether virtual is default.


What statistical libraries do you need? I can embed an R 
interpreter inside a D program, so D provides all R 
functionality. Furthermore, any compiled code for which there is 
an R interface also has a D interface. There are various C 
libraries that are easy enough to call from D. At least for the 
things I do, I have not run into any constraints librarywise, 
though sometimes I have to do a little work to call into existing 
libraries.


Re: I have a plan.. I really DO

2018-07-06 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Friday, 6 July 2018 at 15:53:56 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:

With D, ANY forgotten allocation during the game loop (and I 
really mean even JUST ONE hidden allocation somewhere in the 
whole game or engine), may cause the game to regularly freeze 
at the wrong time, because of an unwanted GC. Hence the phobia.


This program

import std.conv, std.stdio;

@nogc void main() {
int point_count = 3;
string score = point_count.to!string() ~ " POINTS";
writeln(score);
}

provides this compiler output

nogc.d(5): Error: @nogc function 'D main' cannot call non-@nogc 
function 'std.conv.to!string.to!int.to'

nogc.d(5): Error: cannot use operator ~ in @nogc function 'D main'
nogc.d(6): Error: @nogc function 'D main' cannot call non-@nogc 
function 'std.stdio.writeln!string.writeln'


Are you saying there are bugs in the @nogc implementation? 
Otherwise I don't see how you will end up with a forgotten 
allocation.


Re: I have a plan.. I really DO

2018-07-02 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Saturday, 30 June 2018 at 03:02:15 UTC, Joakim wrote:
The future of native code will be replacing scripting 
languages. D is really good at that task.


This will never happen, doesn't matter how good D is at it, 
they will always be better because they sacrifice performance 
for ease of use.


I think it depends on a couple of factors. First, some of us 
prefer static typing, but until a few years ago, the POS known as 
Java was the best available language with static typing. As 
languages like D build up libraries that make it easy to replace 
the functionality of scripting languages, many of us will move. 
Second, scripting languages lose their ease of use advantages 
quickly once performance becomes an issue. As data science and 
web services continue to grow at a fast pace, more programs are 
being written for which performance will eventually be an issue.


AFAIK, nobody in the broader community was ever told that the D 
foundation money would be used to fund a bunch of Romanian 
interns, it just happened.


My understanding is that a lot of that was funded by Andrei (but 
maybe I am wrong) so I have never had a problem with that 
decision. Where it does cause problems is that anyone else, 
myself included, may not be eager to donate for that reason 
because it's not what we feel is going to help with adoption of 
the language. As you mentioned, some work on IDEs is being 
funded, but even then it appears to be one IDE for Windows users. 
That's not relevant to anything I'm doing. It's better if I 
contribute by improving the ecosystem in a way that helps others 
doing the same things.


Re: I have a plan.. I really DO

2018-06-29 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Friday, 29 June 2018 at 20:13:07 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:

Have a look at Crystal's Github project, you will see that 
Crystal, still in development and quite far from its 1.0 mile 
version (= despite no parallism and windows support, etc) 
ALREADY has 11206 stars, 881 forks and 292 contributors :


https://github.com/crystal-lang/crystal

Not bad for a language in its 0.25 version and first released 
in June 2014 (4 years), especially compared to D in its 2.0 
version and first released in December 2001 (16 years), whose 
official compiler has 1806 stars, 452 forks and 168 
contributors :


https://github.com/dlang/dmd

If those numbers means anything, I think its that Crystal is 
probably getting popularity much quicker than D, and honestly, 
after having tried it, I think it's really deserved, even if I 
agree that there are still many things that remain to be 
implemented before it's really ready for an official 
"production-ready" 1.0 release.


Do you by chance work as a manager? Managers like comparisons 
that involve one number, with a higher number being better. I 
don't know what can be learned about D from that comparison and I 
don't think anyone else does either.


Re: I have a plan.. I really DO

2018-06-29 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Friday, 29 June 2018 at 07:03:52 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:

P.S. I mean what you think the future of native code is??? 
Rust? Crystal?? Nim???


The future of native code will be replacing scripting languages. 
D is really good at that task.


The future of native code will not be one language. I don't know 
why the discussion always turns to that, because it goes against 
the steady increase in the number of good languages that are 
available. Different folks have different preferences, many of us 
use multiple languages, and our preferences change over our 
lifetimes. These days language interoperability is getting so 
good that "choosing a language" is becoming obsolete. If we keep 
reducing the obstacles to using D, the number of users will 
continue to grow.


WRT donating money, isn't it natural to explain what will be done 
with the money? There's been some movement in the direction of 
transparency. I'll only say there's more to be done in that area 
and leave it at that.


Re: How an Engineering Company Chose to Migrate to D

2018-06-20 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Wednesday, 20 June 2018 at 18:32:34 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
On Wednesday, 20 June 2018 at 18:21:01 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo 
wrote:

On Wednesday, 20 June 2018 at 16:06:15 UTC, Ali wrote:

On Wednesday, 20 June 2018 at 13:21:30 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:

The blog:
https://dlang.org/blog/2018/06/20/how-an-engineering-company-chose-to-migrate-to-d/

Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/8si75b/how_an_engineering_company_chose_to_migrate_to_d/


number 1 on hn
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=17355348


OMG how am I to respond to all the comments, I cannot see the 
end of it!


It seems I'm not supposed to:

"You're posting too fast. Please slow down. Thanks."

What a strange site.


The site is intentionally designed in a way that discourages 
discussion. They prefer to have comments several paragraphs long 
that appear to someone with no knowledge of the matter to inject 
insights into the conversation. In practice most of the comments 
are uninformed BS and attempts to put others down but it is what 
it is.


Re: Encouraging preliminary results implementing memcpy in D

2018-06-14 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
On Thursday, 14 June 2018 at 13:42:14 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer 
wrote:


Well, for me, it wasn't attacks. There have been quite a few 
people in this community who were rude, insulting, and IMO, 
that is not worth moderation. In fact some of them have even 
came around and become quite good D contributors. Those 
problems usually work themselves out because we have a great 
community which does not give trolls the attention they desire.


That seems to be the opinion of most. The problem I have is that 
this forum is the main way to communicate about the language, and 
thus it is how others form their opinion of the language.


Re: SecureD moving to GitLab

2018-06-09 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Saturday, 9 June 2018 at 08:35:25 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

The real problem is when employers try to claim anything 
unrelated to your job that you do in your free time. _That_ is 
completely inappropriate, but some employers try anyway, and 
depending on which state you live in and what you signed for 
the company, they may or may not be able to come after you even 
if it's ridiculous for them to be able to.


Joel Spolsky wrote about this a couple years ago:
https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2016/12/09/developers-side-projects/



Re: Diamond mentioned in stackshare.io article

2018-05-05 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Saturday, 5 May 2018 at 10:00:16 UTC, Bauss wrote:

Because it means that D is getting some exposure to industrial 
development!


Absolutely. This, not [technical feature X], is what will lead to 
adoption of D.


Re: DConf 2018 Livestream

2018-05-04 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Friday, 4 May 2018 at 20:05:12 UTC, Juan wrote:

On Friday, 4 May 2018 at 04:39:16 UTC, Nemanja Boric wrote:

Looks like it, it works for me now as well!

This looks like to be the first day (or recorded part of it): 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvqsUO77FGI


The second day (from your post): 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UZuRNujLGQ


Does anybody the link from today presentation?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5HsyEnyvlM


Re: DUB registry is now Boost licensed

2018-05-04 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Friday, 4 May 2018 at 13:35:32 UTC, Seb wrote:

You can now modify it without needing to publish all your 
patches which the GPL license before required.


Just to clarify, given all the misinformation floating around 
about licenses, the GPL contains no such requirement. You are 
only required to make the source of a derived work available to 
recipients of that derived work. It's unlikely that anyone was 
ever distributing modified versions of the dub registry but 
wanted to keep their source code secret from the recipients.


Re: DConf 2018 Livestream

2018-05-03 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Thursday, 3 May 2018 at 11:53:02 UTC, Juan wrote:

On Thursday, 3 May 2018 at 05:46:45 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
As I understand it, they were not recording but relying on 
YouTube to save the stream. For whatever reason, that didn’t 
work out. They wrote that they would be trying to recover the 
stream but it might well be lost. I think you should talk to 
them and explain what an asset these recordings are to dlang, 
and that we cannot let them be jeopardised by WiFi outages.


+1.

I was expecting to watch Walter's presentation, and now I would 
say this is a big failure for them. Come on, this not a new 
event!


In this day and age with all the cameras around us, if they 
really lost any content they should stop doing this.


Sorry if I'm too harsh, but this is totally unacceptable.


It's not a problem. Walter can redo the talk from his basement 
and upload it to youtube.


embedr: Call D functions from R and embed an R interpreter inside a D program

2018-05-01 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
I had planned to work on this some more, but I'm editor of a 
journal and have recently agreed to become director of graduate 
studies, so there's no time to work on anything I don't use in my 
own research. Therefore I'm putting this out there as is. 
Basically, it works for me, but you might have to tweak things to 
do what you want (it probably won't take much, and you can ask me 
if you get stuck on something).


I have no plan to turn this into a Dub package, but that doesn't 
stop anyone else from doing so.


It's not ready for release. All functions are documented using 
Adam's documentation generator though. And there's some example 
code on the project page.


http://embedr.netlify.com/


Re: #include C headers in D code

2018-04-11 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
On Wednesday, 11 April 2018 at 09:45:07 UTC, Jonathan M Davis 
wrote:


It's one thing for someone who is familiar with D to weigh the 
options and decide that being tied to ldc is okay. It's quite 
another to tell someone who isn't familiar with D that in order 
to use D, they have to use a feature which only works with a 
specific compiler that is not the reference compiler and which 
will likely never work with the reference compiler.


It also wouldn't work with GDC. Given that GDC has been added to 
GCC, it would be a bad idea to tell people they need to use LDC 
to work with C code.


Re: #include C headers in D code

2018-04-09 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Monday, 9 April 2018 at 18:15:33 UTC, kinke wrote:

On Monday, 9 April 2018 at 11:03:48 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
Here's my blog post about my project that allows directly 
#including C headers in D*


https://atilanevesoncode.wordpress.com/2018/04/09/include-c-headers-in-d-code/


Certainly interesting. Is there a good reason why you didn't 
look into Calypso though? It's restricted to LDC, okay, but its 
approach of fusioning C++ and D parts at the AST and LLVM-IR 
level seems far more promising to me - no need to translate the 
C(++) parts to D and let the underlying D compiler parse & 
analyze all that generated code again. And Calypso's C++ 
support is apparently mature enough to interface with Qt5 (!)...


Aren't there limitations on what Calypso can do? I thought I read 
that it can't be made to work with all C code, but maybe I'm 
wrong... Of course, only working with LDC is itself a big 
restriction.


Re: std.variant Is Everything Cool About D

2018-03-29 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Thursday, 29 March 2018 at 17:30:04 UTC, 12345swordy wrote:

There are some quite criticisms being made in the comments 
section.


Hopefully there will be a time in the future where D stops 
selling itself as a dialect of C++. Whether the criticisms are 
right or wrong, they show the difficulty of selling D to C++ 
developers, and worse, these discussions tell the world that D 
and C++ are two sides of the same coin.


Re: D_vs_nim: git repo to compare features of D vs nim and help migrating code bw them. PRs welcome

2018-03-27 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 at 01:25:42 UTC, timotheecour wrote:

D and nim are both very promising.
I created this git repo to compare them:

https://github.com/timotheecour/D_vs_nim/

Goal: up to date and objective comparison of features between D 
and nim (to help deciding what language to use), and 1:1 map of 
features and libraries to help D users learn nim and vice versa.


PRs are welcome and merged fast


Named parameter arguments is an advantage? I would not consider 
using a language with named parameter arguments. At best, 
claiming it's an advantage is arbitrary.


You might have better luck comparing the languages if you got rid 
of the +1/-1 thing.


Re: Vision document for H1 2018

2018-03-12 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Monday, 12 March 2018 at 05:02:31 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
Now, I actually understand ranges and am very glad that they're 
there, but as a D newbie, they were annoying, because they were 
unfamiliar.


Ranges are D's monads. The only thing missing is the burrito 
tutorials.


Re: Vision document for H1 2018

2018-03-11 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Sunday, 11 March 2018 at 13:36:27 UTC, R wrote:

With the usual response here: "Why do you not fix it yourself 
or pay for it". Maybe because most people who come want to use 
the tools and be productive and not spend their time fixing up 
those tools.


I've never seen anyone write that. Most likely you saw someone 
post something that looks similar, but has a dramatically 
different meaning. The usual response is "If you want something 
done, you're going to have to do it yourself or pay someone to do 
it for you, or else it won't get done."


Its a mentality issue that some do not get here. In order to 
grow you need consumers for your product. If you force or whine 
to them to fix the issues, they leave. When they leave you lose 
potential growth. That loss in growth means losing potential 
members that can fix and want to fix the issues.


And this clarifies the source of your confusion. The D 
programming language is an open source project, not a for-profit 
company. D is not the language you're looking for.


Re: State of D 2018 Survey

2018-03-04 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
On Sunday, 4 March 2018 at 18:52:36 UTC, Martin Tschierschke 
wrote:


What about trying to start an own "D Exchange"? I like the 
possibility to vote for good questions and answers. There are 
many gems inside the forum, but not so easy to find as in the 
stack exchange based forums.


That wouldn't be a bad thing if it's possible.

Stack Overflow is such a joy when you have losers that contribute 
nothing to a tag voting to close useful questions based on 
technical interpretations of the rules. One time it was pointed 
out that none of those that voted to close a particular question 
had ever contributed even a single question or answer to that 
tag. And who doesn't love the comments about non-duplicate 
questions being duplicates, or demanding additional information 
that's already in the question.


Stack Overflow is already available. Maybe it doesn't get used 
for a reason.


Re: State of D 2018 Survey

2018-03-01 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Thursday, 1 March 2018 at 21:24:29 UTC, Bill Baxter wrote:
Just don't overlook the fact that people who fill out 30 minute 
surveys
right away after being told about them are a self-selected 
group of people

who apparently have way too much time on their hands.
Which also suggests they would likely also have more free time 
to go chase
down and fix breaks in their legacy code caused by new 
compilers.


--bb


Nothing makes the old compilers disappear. If you have working 
code, keep using the compiler that compiled it. New features or 
breaking changes. Otherwise D will stop evolving, and unlike C++, 
will not have tons of legacy code to force people to continue to 
use it.


Re: State of D 2018 Survey

2018-02-28 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Wednesday, 28 February 2018 at 13:41:56 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
About a month ago, Sebastian Wilzbach sent an email out to a 
few of the core D folks asking for feedback on a survey he had 
put together. He thought it would be useful for the Foundation 
to use in order to make decisions about where to expend 
development efforts. Eventually Andrei gave his stamp of 
approval, the survey questions were tweaked, and then it was 
ready to roll.


Of course I would love for you to read my blog post announcing 
it, but if you want to skip the prose and go straight to the 
good stuff, here's the survey link:


https://seb134.typeform.com/to/H1GTak

The blog:
https://dlang.org/blog/2018/02/28/the-state-of-d-2018-survey/

Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/d_language/comments/80w29n/the_state_of_d_2018_survey/




If you ask about tabs vs spaces but not Emacs vs vi, nobody will 
take the language seriously. And why are there no questions about 
beards?


Re: Beta 2.079.0

2018-02-19 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Monday, 19 February 2018 at 10:49:03 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
Glad to announce the first beta for the 2.079.0 release, ♥ to 
the 77 contributors for this release.


http://dlang.org/download.html#dmd_beta 
http://dlang.org/changelog/2.079.0.html


As usual please report any bugs at https://issues.dlang.org

- 

This is probably the most feature-laden 2 month release ever.
...


This looks good, but I'm not sure the many new features go well 
with the "2 month release" thing. I hope there are plans for a 
longer than usual testing period. Your announcement reads to me 
like it's going to be a regression bug release.


Re: Beta 2.079.0

2018-02-19 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
On Monday, 19 February 2018 at 11:27:11 UTC, Nick Sabalausky 
(Abscissa) wrote:

On 02/19/2018 05:49 AM, Martin Nowak wrote:

http://dlang.org/changelog/2.079.0.html


...WOW O_o

This release is seriously, just...wow!

One question though: I'm unclear on the "include imports". Do 
those basically obviate the original purpose of rdmd? Ie, so 
dmd doesn't need to be passed a list of every individual file 
to be compiled? Just do this and be done?:


$ dmd -offoobar -Isource -i=foobar source/foobar/main.d
$ ./foobar

Or do I misunderstand it?


That's a really nice feature to have buried in with all the other 
stuff. I didn't even notice it.


Re: The Expressive C++17 Coding Challenge in D

2018-02-14 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
On Wednesday, 14 February 2018 at 20:14:41 UTC, Ola Fosheim 
Grøstad wrote:

On Wednesday, 14 February 2018 at 19:40:12 UTC, Seb wrote:

https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/7xih66/the_expressive_c17_coding_challenge_in_d


It is getting shot down…


That's implied when someone says it's posted on Reddit.

There's (almost) no such thing as bad publicity...


Re: The Expressive C++17 Coding Challenge in D

2018-02-14 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 at 23:35:36 UTC, Seb wrote:
Someone revived the Expressive C++17 Coding Challenge thread 
today and I thought this is an excellent opportunity to revive 
my blog and finally write an article showing why I like D so 
much:


https://seb.wilzba.ch/b/2018/02/the-expressive-c17-coding-challenge-in-d

It's mostly targeted at beginners as I explain many basic D 
features, but maybe it's helpful for beginners looking into D.


Someone posted a comment in our subreddit that you may want to 
check:

https://www.reddit.com/r/d_language/comments/7xi9n3/the_expressive_c17_coding_challenge_in_d/


Re: dxml 0.2.0 released

2018-02-12 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Monday, 12 February 2018 at 15:43:59 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
On Monday, 12 February 2018 at 14:04:38 UTC, Jonathan M Davis 
wrote:


However, if folks as a whole think that Phobos' xml parser 
needs to support the DTD section to be acceptable, then dxml 
won't replace std.xml, because dxml is not going to implement 
DTD support. DTD support fundamentally does not fit in with 
dxml's design.


Can't you simply give it a name other than std.xml that 
indicates it doesn't do everything related to xml? It doesn't 
make sense to not put it into Phobos because of the name, and 
that should be an easy problem to solve.


Hit send too fast. std.xml.base would be reasonable.


Re: dxml 0.2.0 released

2018-02-12 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
On Monday, 12 February 2018 at 14:04:38 UTC, Jonathan M Davis 
wrote:


However, if folks as a whole think that Phobos' xml parser 
needs to support the DTD section to be acceptable, then dxml 
won't replace std.xml, because dxml is not going to implement 
DTD support. DTD support fundamentally does not fit in with 
dxml's design.


Can't you simply give it a name other than std.xml that indicates 
it doesn't do everything related to xml? It doesn't make sense to 
not put it into Phobos because of the name, and that should be an 
easy problem to solve.


Re: D support for ChromeOS

2018-02-03 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Saturday, 3 February 2018 at 18:11:15 UTC, Daniel Kozak wrote:
Today I have added basic support for D language (ldc and dub) 
to chromebrew: https://github.com/skycocker/chromebrew/pull/1717


So if you have ChromeBook with Chrome OS (developer mode is 
needed for chromebrew), you can try it, if everything works ok 
for you.


Thanks for this. I've got a chromebook and will try it out. 
Crouton has been less than impressive. Never heard of chromebrew 
before.


Re: ArithEval v0.5.0 released

2018-01-09 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Monday, 8 January 2018 at 11:45:25 UTC, rjframe wrote:
But don't let anyone peer-pressure you into changing licenses. 
Figure out your goals and license your code accordingly.


The main cost of using the GPL is that the anti-GPL zealots will 
post messages telling you to change the license because the GPL 
is not sufficiently pure. I'm old enough to remember when it was 
FSF members that constantly bothered developers to conform to 
their philosophy.


Re: Faster Command Line Tools in D

2017-08-08 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 at 21:51:30 UTC, Joakim wrote:

On Wednesday, 24 May 2017 at 13:39:57 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
Some of you may remember Jon Degenhardt's talk from one of the 
Silicon Valley D meetups, where he described the performance 
improvements he saw when he rewrote some of eBay's command 
line tools in D. He has now put the effort into crafting a 
blog post on the same topic, where he takes D version of a 
command-line tool written in Python and incrementally improves 
its performance.


The blog:
https://dlang.org/blog/2017/05/24/faster-command-line-tools-in-d/

Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/6d25mg/faster_command_line_tools_in_d/


Heh, happened to notice that this blog post now has 21 
comments, with people posting links to versions in Go, C++, and 
Kotlin up till this week, months after the post went up! :D


There was also a Haskell version on Reddit.


Re: Vectorflow: a neural network library for sparse data from Netflix

2017-08-02 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Wednesday, 2 August 2017 at 21:54:51 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

On 8/2/2017 12:01 PM, bachmeier wrote:

I was going to submit it to Reddit but someone beat me to it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/6r6dwp/netflix_opensources_its_first_d_library_vectorflow/


Submit it to Hacker News!


Someone submitted it earlier but it didn't make the front page.


Re: Vectorflow: a neural network library for sparse data from Netflix

2017-08-02 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
On Wednesday, 2 August 2017 at 17:40:23 UTC, Benoit Rostykus 
wrote:

Netflix is happy to open-source its first D library.

Blog post: 
https://medium.com/@NetflixTechBlog/introducing-vectorflow-fe10d7f126b8

Repo: https://github.com/Netflix/vectorflow


I was going to submit it to Reddit but someone beat me to it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/6r6dwp/netflix_opensources_its_first_d_library_vectorflow/


Re: Call for arms: Arch Linux D package maintenance

2017-07-09 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Sunday, 9 July 2017 at 19:56:20 UTC, Seb wrote:


Ouch - so how do we improve the status quo?
It's July, the packages are still listed as orphans [1], 
haven't received the 2.074.1 update and the Arch TUs are 
clearly not interested in maintaining it (its flagged as 
out-of-date since beginning of June). Moreover, with the recent 
move to -fPIC (which currently is in -fPIC), the packages would 
need a rebuilt with -fPIC (see [2]).

Anyone with an idea?

[1] https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/dmd
[2] 
http://forum.dlang.org/post/gpbyhmdsudlmapsvv...@forum.dlang.org


As I wrote elsewhere in this thread, I quit using Arch because of 
related problems. The answer (assuming things are still run the 
way they were back then) is that you're not able to do anything 
about it. You won't see anything done with the official package 
and you won't be able to put anything in AUR because there is an 
official package. Perhaps we can post a pkgbuild on dlang.org.


Re: DCompute is now in the master branch of LDC

2017-05-31 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Wednesday, 31 May 2017 at 22:03:25 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

Yes, the name matters, but this thread has been pretty 
thoroughly derailed from its original purpose.


- Jonathan M Davis


https://www.xkcd.com/386/


Re: DCompute is now in the master branch of LDC

2017-05-31 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Wednesday, 31 May 2017 at 12:28:47 UTC, Nicholas Wilson wrote:

I am more inclined to be persuaded by the fact that everybody 
that has actually done GPU programming has said that it makes 
sense to them.


It would be a mistake to judge that on the basis of those posting 
in this forum. I've done some GPU work, but "compute" doesn't 
mean anything to me. The R task view for HPC lists a bunch of GPU 
packages, none of which use "compute" in the name: 
https://cran.r-project.org/web/views/HighPerformanceComputing.html


I've also used PyCUDA and PyOpenCL, and am aware of PyMagma, none 
of which refer to "compute".



But can we please reduce the bike shedding


Marketing is only bike shedding if you don't care how many people 
make use of your work.


Re: Faster Command Line Tools in D

2017-05-26 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Friday, 26 May 2017 at 06:05:11 UTC, Basile B. wrote:

On Thursday, 25 May 2017 at 22:04:36 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:

On 05/24/2017 06:39 AM, Mike Parker wrote:


Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/6d25mg/faster_command_line_tools_in_d/



Inspired Nim version, found on Reddit:


https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/6dct6e/faster_command_line_tools_in_nim/

Ali


Wow, the D blog post opened Pandora's box.


I guess programmers will do comparisons of language speed 
independent of whether it makes sense for that problem.


Re: Snap packages for DMD and DUB

2017-05-08 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
On Monday, 8 May 2017 at 20:05:01 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling 
wrote:

Hello all,


[...]


Enjoy, and let me know how you all get on with these packages!

For more info on snap packages and how to use (and create) 
them, see:

https://snapcraft.io

Thanks & best wishes,

-- Joe


Thanks for making these available. I needed to install ldc today, 
so I used the snap package. Installation was trivial (Ubuntu 
16.04).


Re: DConf 2017 Day 2 Livestream

2017-05-05 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Friday, 5 May 2017 at 11:47:03 UTC, rk wrote:

On Friday, 5 May 2017 at 08:06:05 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gfwk-zRwmk


hi,

fortunately i missed the meyers talk. is there anyway to 
download it later with his notes?


thanks

rk


If you go to the link that Mike posted, you can access all of the 
old talks by simply going back to an earlier part of the video. I 
just watched the Meyers talk that way.


Re: BLAS implementation for D

2017-04-14 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Friday, 14 April 2017 at 16:31:24 UTC, jmh530 wrote:

Not a lawyer, but I think if you just port it to another 
language it is a derived work in GPL and the ported project 
must also be GPL.


This is correct.

However, if you're completely re-writing each function, I don't 
know.


I don't think that argument would apply in this case. It would be 
necessary to start a new project to give it an alternative 
license.


Re: dmd Backend converted to Boost License

2017-04-07 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Friday, 7 April 2017 at 15:14:40 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/6680

Yes, this is for real! Symantec has given their permission to 
relicense it. Thank you, Symantec!


Great news! By 2027, we should no longer hear objections to D 
based on the backend license.


Re: excel-d v0.0.1 - D API to write functions callable from Excel

2017-03-21 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Tuesday, 21 March 2017 at 13:59:56 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:


It's cool that this is possible to do in D, but I feel sorry 
for anyone that has a reason :)


In my discussions with people doing real world data analysis, 
making decisions in meetings, by email, and such, spreadsheets 
are an important tool because of the interface. I've never talked 
to anyone that used Excel for any other reason.


Re: New (page-per-artifact) standard library doc examples are now editable and runnable

2017-02-23 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Saturday, 18 February 2017 at 16:57:33 UTC, Seb wrote:
As imho the border doesn't look that bad and for the same 
reason as above I didn't remove the border. See a visual 
comparison here:


http://imgur.com/a/pElAu

Are you or others still in favor of removing the border?


I like the first version in the screenshot (with a border).


Re: New (page-per-artifact) standard library doc examples are now editable and runnable

2017-02-17 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Friday, 17 February 2017 at 13:50:48 UTC, John Colvin wrote:

Might I suggest you change the output s to s 
with border: none; and max-height: 30em;
This would make them auto-grow to the right height to fit the 
content (with max-height for sanity). It does mean you lose 
manual resizability (unless you mess around in js to sort out 
the clash with max-height)), but that doesn't seem so important 
if it auto-resizes.


+1


Re: Questionnaire

2017-02-10 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
On Friday, 10 February 2017 at 23:02:38 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky 
wrote:
Go - they value simplicity and robust run-time (Go's GC breaks 
news with sub-milisecond pauses on large heaps). The sheer 
complexity of D is enough for it to be a hard sell, D's GC is 
coup de grace.


I have never understood the appeal of Go. With respect to the GC, 
there's this: 
https://blog.plan99.net/modern-garbage-collection-911ef4f8bd8e#.o6pxesvuw


With respect to "simplicity", I found it to be easy to learn a 
language that makes it hard to get stuff done. I've never 
understood the argument that programming in Go is simple. Clearly 
others have their own view.


Re: GSoC 2017 Application Rejected

2017-02-10 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
On Friday, 10 February 2017 at 19:00:54 UTC, CRAIG DILLABAUGH 
wrote:

Hello D Community

Just coming here to inform everyone that our D application for 
GSoC 2017 was sadly rejected.  Unfortunately (for me) it is 
completely my fault, I failed to fill out one line on one of 
the three forms that comprised the application.  Even more 
frustrating I went online on the 8th to make sure that 
everything was in order and I noticed and filled in the 
offending line. However I must have either failed to hit 'save' 
or the save itself failed (I will assume the later since that 
makes me look less incompetent).


To make matters worse I got an automated email from Google at 
3am the morning of the deadline warning me, but since I had a 
particularly busy day at work on the 9th I didn't get a chance 
to check my email until shortly after noon on Feb 9th. At which 
point it was too late.


So I want to apologize to the D community for this mix up on my 
part, and in particular to those who invested time in helping 
get ready for this year's GSoC and to you students who were 
looking forward to applying.  However, for anyone who did work 
on the Ideas page that can at least be re-used and we now have 
a much fuller list.


Regards

Craig


Thanks for your effort. If someone else doesn't like it, well, I 
guess I don't remember a big competition among volunteers for the 
position.


Re: Questionnaire

2017-02-09 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Thursday, 9 February 2017 at 18:38:32 UTC, John Colvin wrote:

On Thursday, 9 February 2017 at 18:34:44 UTC, bachmeier wrote:

On Thursday, 9 February 2017 at 17:28:47 UTC, jmh530 wrote:


Other stuff I would find useful:
1) R integration (I know someone's done work on this, but 
it's hard to find and I don't remember if it works on 
Windows. Really just needs a champion)


Me. The latest version is here: 
https://bitbucket.org/bachmeil/embedr


It's Linux-only because that's all I know or use. Others that 
I work with use it on Windows and OS X trivially with Docker, 
but for someone that understands development on those OSes, it 
shouldn't take much to get it working natively. Everything is 
handled internally by the R package manager, and the package 
itself has functions to take care of all steps for compilation.


I don't promote it because I don't have time to run an open 
source project properly. However, I am happy to help in any 
way if someone else wants to use it. I am flexible on the 
license, so that's not an issue.


There's a possibility of some commercial need for R <-> D where 
I'm working, so hopefully we'll be able to help here.


I believe you have my email address. Send me a message if 
something comes up.


I redid everything a few months ago, so if you looked at an 
earlier version, this is much improved. Getting it to work on 
Windows/OS X or integrating Dub is something that can be done in 
an afternoon by someone with the appropriate background.


Re: Questionnaire

2017-02-09 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Thursday, 9 February 2017 at 17:28:47 UTC, jmh530 wrote:


Other stuff I would find useful:
1) R integration (I know someone's done work on this, but it's 
hard to find and I don't remember if it works on Windows. 
Really just needs a champion)


Me. The latest version is here: 
https://bitbucket.org/bachmeil/embedr


It's Linux-only because that's all I know or use. Others that I 
work with use it on Windows and OS X trivially with Docker, but 
for someone that understands development on those OSes, it 
shouldn't take much to get it working natively. Everything is 
handled internally by the R package manager, and the package 
itself has functions to take care of all steps for compilation.


I don't promote it because I don't have time to run an open 
source project properly. However, I am happy to help in any way 
if someone else wants to use it. I am flexible on the license, so 
that's not an issue.


Re: Questionnaire

2017-02-09 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
On Wednesday, 8 February 2017 at 18:27:57 UTC, Ilya Yaroshenko 
wrote:

2. Have you use one of the following Mir projects in production:

  a. https://github.com/libmir/mir
  b. https://github.com/libmir/mir-algorithm
  c. https://github.com/libmir/mir-cpuid
  d. https://github.com/libmir/mir-random
  e. https://github.com/libmir/dcv - D Computer Vision Library
  f. std.experimental.ndslice


I wasn't going to comment, since I'm not part of the target 
group, but I have enough familiarity with commercial usage to 
give you an answer to this question.


Why would someone in an "enterprise" situation want to use Mir? 
If you create a nice R package to make Mir functionality 
available to Rcpp users, and you provide new functionality not 
currently available in other R packages (with good performance to 
boot), you will see commercial usage. But it has to be a package 
they can install from CRAN/Github/Bitbucket using the R package 
manager. They're not going to mess around with Dub.


The same is true for Matlab/Octave/Python. Make extensions that 
others can use within their current workflow, and they will use 
it. Leave it as a Dub package and they won't touch it. You've 
done a lot of good work, but it's kind of a dead end to target 
the standalone D program market right now.


Re: Call for arms: Arch Linux D package maintenance

2017-02-01 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Wednesday, 1 February 2017 at 12:47:51 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
As I have previously announced 
(http://forum.dlang.org/post/o6fbbu$1qli$1...@digitalmars.com), I 
am stepping down from maintaining Arch Linux packages for D.


That means there are 3 possibilities:

- No one will adopt them and all packages will be moved to AUR
- Some existing Trusted User decided to adopt them
- Someone from D community decides to become Trusted User and 
adopts them


First option is definitely the worst one and I don't see any 
enthusiasm regarding second option from existing TUs. Is there 
anyone willing to volunteer for the option three?


I promise all the guidance and help in submitting TU 
application and figuring out maintenance process but there does 
need to be a volunteer ;)


It's been quite a while since Arch was my main desktop, so things 
might have changed, in which case please ignore this comment.


The worst outcome is option 3 with someone that is not dedicated 
to the task. One of the reasons I started using Arch was because 
it was continuously updated, allowing me to get the latest 
versions of several packages right after a new release. What I 
found instead was that the TU in charge of the packages wouldn't 
provide updates. Making matters worse, because there was an 
official package, they wouldn't allow it in AUR. Making matters 
worse still, when someone would inquire on the forums there were 
TUs writing lengthy responses telling them to stop whining and 
write their own pkgbuild and anyway how hard is it to compile 
software.


Eventually I gave up because not only was I stuck compiling my 
own software, I was also responsible for making necessary changes 
to pkgbuild files (and that wasn't always just bumping a version 
number).


Hopefully anyone that does step up will think carefully first 
about whether they are willing to make a sufficient time 
commitment. Otherwise we'll lose most Arch users, and that's a 
popular distro.


Re: Alexa Skill written in D

2017-01-08 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Monday, 9 January 2017 at 01:28:22 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

On 1/8/2017 2:58 PM, extrawurst wrote:

On Sunday, 8 January 2017 at 22:54:58 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

On 1/8/2017 1:15 PM, extrawurst wrote:
On Sunday, 8 January 2017 at 18:51:45 UTC, Walter Bright 
wrote:

On 1/7/2017 5:17 AM, extrawurst wrote:
the last 2 weeks I jumped on a new toy project: An Alexa 
Skill written in D.


Post this to reddit!


Isn't it better someone else does that?


Yes. I can't because anything I post gets autobanned.


Someone shared it now:
https://www.reddit.com/r/d_language/comments/5msngh/alexa_skill_written_in_d/

Thanks bachmeier!


Unfortunately, it would be better off in the programming 
subreddit.


Definitely. I wasn't going to post it on a Sunday afternoon 
though.


Re: D Blog Stats

2017-01-06 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Friday, 6 January 2017 at 14:54:45 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
I've always enjoyed reading end-of-the year stats at other 
blogs. I thought it would be fun to do the same for the D Blog. 
If you've been curious about which posts visitors are viewing, 
or which links they're clicking, this post is for you.


https://dlang.org/blog/2016/06/03/recent-d-foundation-activities/


Thanks for all the work you've done on this. It's a great 
marketing tool for the language, in addition to good reading.


Re: Mir Random v0.0.1 release

2016-12-02 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Friday, 2 December 2016 at 18:59:08 UTC, Ilya Yaroshenko wrote:


A replacement for std.random from stats professionals.


It's not clear from the homepage if it can be used with DMD. What 
else does it require to be installed?


Re: Got a post for the D Blog?

2016-11-01 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Tuesday, 1 November 2016 at 06:36:15 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:

On Tuesday, 1 November 2016 at 06:23:29 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
On Monday, 31 October 2016 at 20:29:13 UTC, Jacob Carlborg 
wrote:




Would it be interesting to have a blog post about implement 
support for Objective-C in D? That would be very technical 
and quite low level.


Absolutely!


I could write something about the CTFE engine.
And how I plan to beat the llvm jit :)


I'd be very interested in such a post. And it would provide some 
good publicity for D.


Re: Please say hello to our third team member: Razvan Nitu

2016-10-18 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
On Tuesday, 18 October 2016 at 18:21:31 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu 
wrote:

Hi everyone,


Please join me in welcoming Razvan Nitu to our fledgling team 
of Romanian graduate students.


Razvan has already some solid industrial experience and has a 
broad area of interests such as low-level kernel-level 
development, networking, distributed filesystems, and more. 
We're sure he'll find something to pique his interest :o).


We are setting up the team in an office at University 
"Politehnica" Bucharest, close to their academic advisors. For 
now they're in bootcamp getting familiar with our toolchain. 
Please help me in getting everyone up to speed.



Welcome, Razvan!

Andrei


I think this is a good marketing tool for the language. It's 
impressive to have a "team". Do you intend to write a blog post 
or otherwise provide information about the plan for this?


Re: small promotion for Dlang and Mir

2016-09-13 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
On Tuesday, 13 September 2016 at 14:14:01 UTC, Ilya Yaroshenko 
wrote:



Also you can help Mir in
 - 5 second: star the project https://github.com/libmir/mir
 - 1 hour+:
 - opt1: Write an article or about ndslice or mir.glas [6] 
(upcoming BLAS implementation in D)

 - opt2: Add small enhancement you want, see also [4]
 - opt3: Include new chapter about ndslice and Mir to the 
Dlang Tour [7]

 - 1 day+: Became an author for a new package, see also [5].

Companies can order numerical, statistical, and data mining 
algorithms and services. We work with web and big data.


[1] http://rdcu.be/kiKR -  "On Robust Algorithm for Finding 
Maximum Likelihood Estimation of the Generalized Inverse 
Gaussian Distribution"
[2] https://github.com/9il/atmosphere - library, which contains 
the source code for the article

[3] https://github.com/libmir/mir
[4] 
https://github.com/libmir/mir/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Aenhancement
[5] 
https://github.com/libmir/mir/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22New+Package%22

[6] http://docs.mir.dlang.io/latest/mir_glas_l3.html
[7] http://tour.dlang.org/

Best regards,
Ilya


How stable is Mir? I have recently stripped my library for 
embedding R inside D down to the minimum amount and created an R 
package to do the installation. Therefore it is trivial to 
install and get started on Linux.* I would like to test how it 
works to mix R and Mir code. However, I don't want to dig into 
that until Mir is in a stable state.


* Also Windows and Mac, but since I don't have either of those 
machines, I cannot do any work with them.


Re: [GSoC] Improvements for dstep

2016-08-27 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Saturday, 27 August 2016 at 19:23:28 UTC, ciechowoj wrote:

Hi.

I would like to publish a report of my work for this year GSoC. 
Over the last few months, I've been making improvements and 
fixing bugs for dstep.


...


Best regards,
Wojciech Szęszoł


https://www.reddit.com/r/d_language/comments/4zxer7/improvements_to_dstep_a_tool_for_converting_c/


Re: yet another event loop

2016-08-26 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Friday, 26 August 2016 at 10:38:59 UTC, Eugene Wissner wrote:
I think I disagree. For example I didn't know who is kardashian 
and the name is pretty difficult. And I think neither 
kardashian nor madonna are worth to name something after them. 
I also doubt that naming after famous people gave more 
popularity to kafka, picasa, ada, pascal and so on


The person you responded to is a troll that has been cluttering 
the forum. No need to even read what they are posting.


Re: The D Language Foundation has filed for non-profit status

2016-07-20 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
Thank you for your work to get this done. It's a major step 
forward.


Re: MOOC course on Programming Languages taught by Dan Grossman

2016-07-12 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
On Tuesday, 12 July 2016 at 20:47:12 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu 
wrote:
Dan Grossman, an exceptionally accomplished PL researcher from 
University of Washington, is teaching a MOOC on Coursera. The 
class starts on July 25 and is free unless you want 
accreditation. Highly recommended.


https://www.coursera.org/learn/programming-languages


Andrei


I took the first edition of this class, and it was the best MOOC 
I've taken (probably the only one for which I actually made it to 
the end). He is one of the few that does well with the format.


Note the statement "with a strong emphasis on functional 
programming" - as I recall, it was mostly a functional 
programming class, as you'd expect when the first two languages 
are Standard ML and Racket. Highly recommended for anyone that 
wants to go reasonably deep into functional programming. It's 
definitely NOT a beginning programming course.


Re: DIP: Tail call optimization

2016-07-11 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Sunday, 10 July 2016 at 05:03:46 UTC, Dietrich Daroch wrote:

Hi everyone (=

I've just added a new proposal to add a new attribute to ensure 
TCO is applied.


The proposal is really simple, but I'm clueless on how to 
implement it and also interested on getting feedback on it.



The proposal it's ready for merge on the new [DIPs 
repo](https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/pull/6)


--
Dietrich


Would something like Clojure's recur and trampoline do what you 
want?


http://www.clojure.org/about/functional_programming#_recursive_looping

A number of Common Lisp programmers like to use those functions 
because TCO is then guaranteed, and unlike Common Lisp where you 
don't know for sure what will happen, it is explicit.


Re: The Official D Blog is Live

2016-06-08 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
Is it possible to announce the new This Week In D from the blog 
when it comes out?





Re: The Official D Blog is Live

2016-06-03 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Friday, 3 June 2016 at 19:33:31 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
The D Blog was born at DConf this year. With help from Jack 
Stouffer, it is now live at:


http://dlang.org/blog/


This is a big deal for marketing the language. Thanks for doing 
it.


With respect to blog comments, this article talks about the 
experiences of bloggers that turned comments off and then back on:

http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/blog-comments-revisited-why-major-bloggers-are-turning-comments-back-on-michael-hyatt-brian-clark/

"Once comments returned, many people told him they just stopped 
dropping by the blog, because it didn’t feel hospitable. It felt 
cold, sterile, and uninviting. Since comments have been back, 
traffic is growing again, and is up 20% over the same period last 
year. Michael says comments have created some vitality on the 
blog and it feels like somebody is home."


And with any luck, bikeshedding discussions will move to the 
blog, leaving General for its intended purpose.




Re: Introducing mach.d, the github repo where I put whatever modules I happen to write

2016-05-25 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Wednesday, 25 May 2016 at 23:21:09 UTC, Seb wrote:

On Wednesday, 25 May 2016 at 22:52:44 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:

On Wednesday, 25 May 2016 at 22:19:28 UTC, Seb wrote:
is that people love to collect and build their own ecosystem, 
but it would be a lot better if for a specific use-case 
there's a great dub package or it's part of Phobos.


I, and I'm pretty sure Vladimir too, have been writing these 
libs since long before dub was conceived and even before 
anybody took Phobos seriously.


Yes, and they are great. However now we have dub and a 
"serious" standard library  ;-)


It's really easy to use Adam's libraries. You copy a single file 
into the directory, add an import to your program, and you're 
done. With Dub you're fiddling around with config files using a 
format that's not even properly documented. It's fine if you like 
Dub, the nice thing about open source is choice, but I wish the 
constant push to get everything into Dub would end.


Re: GSoC 2016 - D Foundation was accepted!

2016-02-29 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Tuesday, 1 March 2016 at 01:55:09 UTC, Jeremy DeHaan wrote:

Hello everyone!

I didn't see mention of this yet, but earlier today Google 
released their list of accepted Organizations for this year's 
GSoC. Guess what! The D Foundation made the cut!


Thank you to everyone that worked on the proposals and 
application. This is awesome and you all are awesome!




Now to get started on my own application...


Particularly Craig Dillabaugh, who pushed and pushed to get this 
done.


Re: Qt's MOC getting replicated in D for Calypso

2016-02-22 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Monday, 22 February 2016 at 10:20:35 UTC, Dicebot wrote:

The very reason why Calypso doesn't work with C++ so well is 
also the reason why you won't be able to generate bindings 
easily - it calls C++ code directly without creating 
intermediate D interface in any form.


I wanted to clarify that it doesn't currently claim to be a tool 
for creating C++ bindings, so as not to mislead someone trying 
out the language.


Re: Qt's MOC getting replicated in D for Calypso

2016-02-21 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Sunday, 21 February 2016 at 22:23:10 UTC, Kagamin wrote:

On Sunday, 21 February 2016 at 17:21:51 UTC, Brad Roberts wrote:
Is there anything preventing Calypso from turning into a code 
and interface generator?  Making it an application that is 
part of the build rather than a plug in to ldc would make it 
available to both dmd and gdc users, no?


That's DStep: https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/dstep


I don't think that works for C++, and it's not complete.


Re: Google Summer of Code 2016 Only A Few Hours Left

2016-02-20 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Saturday, 20 February 2016 at 15:00:50 UTC, jmh530 wrote:

On Saturday, 20 February 2016 at 13:31:03 UTC, bachmeier wrote:

On Friday, 19 February 2016 at 21:50:43 UTC, jmh530 wrote:

On Friday, 19 February 2016 at 21:10:45 UTC, Dave wrote:


Alternately, you could try calling pystan or rstan from D. If 
you make any progress on these approaches, I would be 
interested.


If it has an R interface, it also has a D interface using my 
rdlang project. I will look at it when I get some free time.


R is the most popular way to use Stan I think. rstan is the 
library.


I looked at rstan. I've heard of it but never used it. AFAICT, 
the computationally intensive part is done by the call to stan() 
from within the R code. Therefore there are no efficiency issues 
with calling D -> R -> stan.


I took the easy road and ran the given R code directly. Here is 
my program:


import rinsided, rdlang.r, rdlang.vector;

void main() {
  evalRQ(`library(rstan)`);
  evalRQ(`y <- 
read.table('https://raw.github.com/wiki/stan-dev/rstan/rats.txt', 
header = TRUE)`);

  evalRQ(`x <- c(8, 15, 22, 29, 36)`);
  evalRQ(`xbar <- mean(x)`);
  evalRQ(`N <- nrow(y)`);
  evalRQ(`T <- ncol(y)`);
  evalRQ(`rats_fit <- stan(file = 
'https://raw.githubusercontent.com/stan-dev/example-models/master/bugs_examples/vol1/rats/rats.stan')`);
  auto stanOutput = RVector(evalR(`attr(rats_fit, 
"sim")[[1]][[1]][[1]]`));

  stanOutput.print();
}

stanOutput is a D struct holding a pointer to that particular 
part of the output. Without more knowledge of rats_fit, I can't 
go further. You could also pass D data into R (y, x, xbar, ...) 
but I didn't see a reason to do that here. Nonetheless this is 
what you want, a way to call rstan from D, and then access the 
results from your D program.


Re: Google Summer of Code 2016 Only A Few Hours Left

2016-02-20 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Friday, 19 February 2016 at 21:50:43 UTC, jmh530 wrote:

On Friday, 19 February 2016 at 21:10:45 UTC, Dave wrote:


Alternately, you could try calling pystan or rstan from D. If 
you make any progress on these approaches, I would be 
interested.


If it has an R interface, it also has a D interface using my 
rdlang project. I will look at it when I get some free time.


Re: New D book available for pre-order: D Web Development

2016-01-30 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Saturday, 30 January 2016 at 12:40:55 UTC, Daniel Kozak wrote:

On Sunday, 24 January 2016 at 14:35:53 UTC, Kai Nacke wrote:

On Sunday, 24 January 2016 at 13:03:42 UTC, notna wrote:

Any news? Just some days left until "January 2016" is over ;)


I am checking the pre-final PDFs of the last chapters right 
now.

Publishing date will be very soon

Regards,
Kai


It is available now :)


I expected them to send an email notification. I can access it, 
but wouldn't have known without your post.


Re: New D book available for pre-order: D Web Development

2016-01-30 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
On Saturday, 30 January 2016 at 17:58:23 UTC, Jacob Carlborg 
wrote:

On 2016-01-30 18:33, barberian wrote:

Yes, in fact the ebook it's expensive in this case, and where 
I live we
"unfortunately" need to convert the pound multiplying by 6, 
ouch!


How can two things be cheaper than one? It doesn't add up. Is 
there a mistake?


Just noticed that it's the same for Learning D. Combo is 50% off, 
ebook is full price.


Re: New D book available for pre-order: D Web Development

2016-01-30 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Saturday, 30 January 2016 at 18:09:37 UTC, barberian wrote:
On Saturday, 30 January 2016 at 17:58:23 UTC, Jacob Carlborg 
wrote:

On 2016-01-30 18:33, barberian wrote:

Yes, in fact the ebook it's expensive in this case, and where 
I live we
"unfortunately" need to convert the pound multiplying by 6, 
ouch!


How can two things be cheaper than one? It doesn't add up. Is 
there a mistake?


I don't know what you're seeing there, but here:

Ebook = 25,18 (pounds)
Ebook + Physical = 25,99 (pounds)

So for what I understand if you by the Physical copy you win 
the ebook.


Here (US) the ebook is $39.99. The combo is on sale for $20. It 
seems odd, but I've seen it before.


Re: Release D 2.070.0

2016-01-28 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce

On Thursday, 28 January 2016 at 22:36:22 UTC, Minas Mina wrote:

When trying to install on Ubuntu 15.10 x64, I get this:
http://imgur.com/L4ozgC1

I didn't proceed with the installation as I don't want any 
possible broken things.


That's strange because I installed this morning on Ubuntu 14.04 
and didn't get that message. There were no issues. (As an aside, 
I upgraded from 2.065, and nothing was broken.)


Re: Better docs for D (WIP)

2016-01-05 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
On Tuesday, 5 January 2016 at 14:18:32 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu 
wrote:


Overall my understanding of your message is "My system would be 
better not for a fundamental technical reason, but because I am 
willing to pour in it time and talent." This is the kind of 
argument I have a lot of respect for.


IMO it's not just his willingness to put in the time that is 
different. There are some critical technical differences:


- There is one person making the decision.
- You don't have to worry about unstated (and sometimes 
arbitrary) rules. The current system feels like your dealing with 
the Soup Nazi.
- You don't have to mess with Git. For me, that's a big one, 
because I've never used Git for a large project like this.
- You don't have to build the whole website. You don't have to do 
Phobos unit tests to change a broken link.


I'll give you an example. Not by coincidence, this was the last 
contribution I attempted to make.


I read the documentation for schwartzSort, and finding that it 
conveyed no information, I wanted to suggest something better. A 
discussion forum or email message would be the ideal way to do 
so, but knowing that's not how things are done here, I decided to 
submit a PR. After at least a couple hours (it may have been 
more) looking at other documentation to find ideas for how to do 
it better, doing several revisions to get to something I found 
satisfactory, checking for no trailing spaces and making sure the 
syntax was consistent with the other documentation, battling with 
Git, and battling to get the full site to build, I submitted this:


https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/3831

One person reviewed it and didn't like my change, because he felt 
the existing documentation was better. Later, someone commented 
that he liked my version. And now it's sitting there. It's not 
going to be accepted and because nobody's in charge of the 
documentation it won't be closed either.


The problem is not that my PR was (for practical purposes) 
rejected. As an academic I deal with both sides of peer review 
all the time. The problem is that I was forced to put so much 
time into it just to make a suggestion. With Adam's project, I 
can send him an email with a suggested change, and he can do as 
he wishes with it. It will take two minutes of my time.


Re: Better docs for D (WIP)

2016-01-05 Thread bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
On Tuesday, 5 January 2016 at 15:32:52 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu 
wrote:

On 01/05/2016 10:15 AM, bachmeier wrote:

There are some critical technical differences:

- There is one person making the decision.


Not technical. -- Andrei


http://www.snopes.com/humor/letters/miriam.asp


  1   2   >