Re: Faster Migrations! But at what cost?

2019-05-21 Thread Dan Davis
Migrations are very slow, so I don't run them during test runs, and run tests with --keepdb even in CI/CD. This is required for my environment anyway, because we use Oracle heavily, a "schema" is the same thing as a "user", and is what I used to think of as a "database" coming from MySQL and

Re: New external package - is there any duplication

2019-05-21 Thread Dan Davis
to, in Oracle anyway, run: ALTER FUNCTION *B *COMPILE REUSE SETTINGS; Hard then to be an idempotent change then, even with create and replace. On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 4:48 PM Adam Johnson wrote: > Hi Dan, > > I think this has not got much of a response because it might be a bit > niche

New external package - is there any duplication

2019-05-17 Thread Dan Davis
I am planning an external package to assist my developers in getting their special-purpose DDL out of the database and into git. Some teams can handle it, but some teams could use help making sure that they use operations.RunSQL well and wisely. My biggest questions about what I'm doing

Re: injecting settings

2019-05-08 Thread Dan Davis
> Another thing to possibly consider, what should happen if multiple > packages try to provide different defaults for the same setting? I > mean, of course, this has kind of been floated in this thread already, > but it would add one more item to the list of things affected by the > order of

Re: injecting settings

2019-05-07 Thread Dan Davis
Christian, I do this in my internal and private module that depends on django-cas-ng. django-cas-ng provides default settings in an __init__.py file that predates app.py and ready. My strategy is that if you wish to depend on another app in this way, it is best to shadow it entirely. For

Re: Proposal to format Django using black

2019-04-16 Thread Dan Davis
+1 isort -1 black I think that codestyle checkers are better, because you teach yourself proper style for python. On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 8:17 PM Josh Smeaton wrote: > We aren't talking about code minifiers though, are we? We're talking about > a very specific tool with very specific rules. No

Re: Should django.contrib.auth.authenticate check is_active?

2019-04-11 Thread Dan Davis
So, federated login systems such as often handle only user identity authentication, which is what the AuthBackend does. Sometimes, users can self-register, and systems such as django-cas-ng (for CAS, not Oauth2). Oauth2, although actually granting authorization to the identity provider's platform

Re: 2020 Authentication Initiativ

2019-04-11 Thread Dan Davis
Focus is the biggest thing - with so many other packages such as python-social-auth and django-cas-ng and django-warrant providing some sort of Federated Login, I don't think it makes sense to try to incorporate social login. However, it would be nice if out of the box could do a register, verify

Re: Support for unittest -k option

2019-03-11 Thread Dan Davis
I personally don't think a short-hand is needed. On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 10:41 AM Tim Graham wrote: > -kdb could be a suitable short option. > > On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 9:20:37 AM UTC-4, Tobias McNulty wrote: >> >> Agreed it's probably better to make the switch now, and I'd be fine >>

Re: Will Django ever CompositePrimaryKeys?

2019-02-26 Thread Dan Davis
ur own. Look over the previous attempts and DEPs, and then document your > way forward either by editing the DEP, and by initiating a thread on this > list. > > Cheers > > On Wednesday, 20 February 2019 04:29:41 UTC+11, Dan Davis wrote: >> >> James, >> >> As a Djang

Test database, --keepdb parameter, and migrations

2019-02-25 Thread Dan Davis
There are a cluster of issues that I find difficult to resolve as a user, and as a Django developer, I think there is potential to make them easier through features in Django itself. I'm interested in hearing better work-arounds than I use now, but I'm more interested in helping clarify how

Re: Django 2.2 and the watchman reloader

2019-02-21 Thread Dan Davis
Claude, I've tested a Django based application on 2.2b1 without watchman on Windows, it does tell you about watchman, but it doesn't fail to run. Apparently, it falls back to the old way of reloading. Is this not the behavior on Debian/Ubuntu? On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 12:28 PM Claude Paroz

Re: Add an defer=True option for model fields

2019-02-19 Thread Dan Davis
Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 12:43 PM Dan Davis wrote: > I have a developer who stores the binary copy of a file in his table. In > ColdFusion, this was acceptable, because he was writing every query by > hand, and could simply exclude that field. However, with the Django ORM it > is a b

Re: Adding a database-agnostic JSONField into Django

2019-02-19 Thread Dan Davis
I'm for this. My only advice is that only some versions of Oracle have a native JSON type. The oracle backend should probably use some query to determine whether the Oracle instance supports JSON field, or there could be a flag in OPTIONS about tihs. On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 7:44:40

Add an defer=True option for model fields

2019-02-19 Thread Dan Davis
I have a developer who stores the binary copy of a file in his table. In ColdFusion, this was acceptable, because he was writing every query by hand, and could simply exclude that field. However, with the Django ORM it is a bit of a problem. The primary table he uses is just for the file,

Re: Will Django ever CompositePrimaryKeys?

2019-02-19 Thread Dan Davis
James, As a Django user I've had this problem often. My best practice ways to handle this is as follows: - If the table is read-only, then create a database-level view that manufactures a primary key by concatenating the primary key columns together. Lie to Django and say this

Re: CharField with Oracle Backend Null Behaviour

2019-02-13 Thread Dan Davis
This very issue of a not-null constraint causes a problem with django-silk. I'm not sure this matters in practice, because the usage of django silk is usually for development; I just added an sqlite3 database alias and a router for django-silk. However, it validates the problem of the

Re: Extend FAQ with "How do I get Django and my JS framework to work together?"

2019-02-06 Thread Dan Davis
The problem with ModelForm is translating validation to something front-end, like jquery Validator. Here, DRF does better, because swagger spec includes something like jsonschema (neither are a standard as I used to know them, in the WSDL/SOAP days), and so you can use jsonschema validation to

Re: Extend FAQ with "How do I get Django and my JS framework to work together?"

2019-02-04 Thread Dan Davis
I kind of disagree that saying it works with DRF is enough. One issue that needs to be addressed is matching any possible path with re_path, so that an SPA that takes over the browser history API will work with bookmarks. Django is opinionated. The winning strategy for npm frameworks is to let

Re: Proposal: Track used headers and use that information to automatically populate Vary header.

2019-01-25 Thread Dan Davis
On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 8:27 PM James Bennett wrote: > My immediate thought here is: if people already aren't taking the time to > patch using the existing mechanism, they also aren't going to take the time > to opt out of patching. So what you're proposing is effectively still "any > accessed

Re: Proposal: Track used headers and use that information to automatically populate Vary header.

2019-01-25 Thread Dan Davis
I would like this - Django is a framework with batteries, and my development group tells me "Django is too hard". This is because they don't understand HTTP; mostly they understand HTML/CSS and SQL, with maybe some easy jquery level of SQL. So, this kind of solution would fit well for my

Re: revisiting the Python version support policy

2019-01-25 Thread Dan Davis
My employer is still using CPython 3.4.6 on the servers, and CPython 3.5.1 on the desktop. I've been instrumental in developing a plan to move forward. I know of one established company and one start-up, by name, where they are still using CPython 2.7 (and a horrendously old version of Django),

Re: Begninner

2019-01-24 Thread Dan Davis
George, If you are an experienced programmer in some other language, I recommend Fluent Python. It is not a good book for someone new to programming. On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 7:19 AM george ngugi wrote: > hey, > > Am new in python programming, can kindly can someone help me on which is > the

Re: A faster paginator for django

2018-12-23 Thread Dan Davis
To be honest, I just entered it as a word, and the client made it a URL because it ends with a top-level domain, and looks like a domain name. On Sun, Dec 23, 2018 at 7:15 PM Dan Davis wrote: > Yes, https://datatables.net/, often miscalled jquery datatables, it is > more like php data

Re: A faster paginator for django

2018-12-23 Thread Dan Davis
Yes, https://datatables.net/, often miscalled jquery datatables, it is more like php datatables in its CGI parameters ;) On Sun, Dec 23, 2018 at 2:51 PM Adam Johnson wrote: > (I think you meant https://datatables.net/ ? ) :) > > On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 at 19:25, Dan Davis wrote: > >

Re: A faster paginator for django

2018-12-23 Thread Dan Davis
Also, it can be worse than one count query. When interacting with datables.net serverSide, you will need multiple count queries. On Sat, Dec 15, 2018, 10:32 AM Kye Russell It might also be worth looking at the alternative pagination methods > offered by Django REST Framework as a source of

Re: Widening participation (Thoughts from DjangoCon)

2018-12-10 Thread Dan Davis
And there might be no need to develop code for this, only configuration: https://github.com/dnephin/TracAdvancedSearchPlugin On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 11:22 AM Dan Davis wrote: > I think that TracSearch could use improvement. As an expert in > Information Retrieval, I would be happy t

Re: Widening participation (Thoughts from DjangoCon)

2018-12-10 Thread Dan Davis
nly relevant results, and only the most relevant results. The limits on word segmentation provided by RDBMS-backed full-text search often makes both recall and precision worse. On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 11:14 AM Dan Davis wrote: > > I strongly dislike Trac in nearly every way. It's hard t

Re: Widening participation (Thoughts from DjangoCon)

2018-12-10 Thread Dan Davis
> I strongly dislike Trac in nearly every way. It's hard to search and the filters are next to useless, and the categorisation features we use are not very useful. > I believe the better way to search Trac is to use google and site: code.djangoproject.com which is a red flag itself. Is there a

Re: Allow usage of widgets in generic class-based views?

2018-12-05 Thread Dan Frankowski
gn to me. It >> doesn't require adding features to ModelFormMixin as they are added to >> ModelForm. >> >> On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 4:57:40 PM UTC-5, Dan F wrote: >>> >>> https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/24589 >>> >>> This ticket

Allow usage of widgets in generic class-based views?

2018-12-04 Thread Dan F
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/24589 This ticket has a patch to pass through the "widgets" argument for generic class-based views. It was closed with "won't fix" with this comment: "*I don't think the possibility of saving a few lines of user code justifies the complexity of

Re: Removing Oracle from Django core in 3.0

2018-11-26 Thread Dan Davis
Another related question - https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/internals/contributing/writing-code/unit-tests/#testing-other-python-versions-and-database-backends provides some terse advice for running the unit tests with different backends. Is that essentially what is happening with a

Re: Moving database backends out of the core

2018-11-26 Thread Dan Davis
I think this would only work if most database specific backends were maintained by the djangoproject itself, allowing for integration tests that test compatibility. To my mind, a strong ORM to backend API is a great thing, but we also need stronger backend integration tests. -- You received

Re: Removing Oracle from Django core in 3.0

2018-11-26 Thread Dan Davis
Related question - how would I search for Oracle specific issues. I found this query: https://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=assigned=new=~oracle=Database+layer+(models%2C+ORM)=id=summary=status=component=owner=type=version=1=id However, I'm not sure how much I can rely on the keywords.

Re: Removing Oracle from Django core in 3.0

2018-11-25 Thread Dan Davis
My employer is an Oracle shop. I would dedicate myself to Oracle specific bugs to prevent removing Oracle from core. That said, we'll probably be off Oracle and onto the cloud and Postgresql by 3.0. On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 1:36 PM Adam Johnson wrote: > Interestingly, I didn't receive your

Re: skipping elidable migrations

2018-11-13 Thread Dan Watson
t is already marked for death. Maybe it's not an optimization we want to reason about, or maybe it isn't a big enough use case to be worth coding for, but I figured I'd put it out there. Regards, Dan On Saturday, November 10, 2018 at 8:13:27 AM UTC-5, Adam Johnson wrote: > > Do you have a

Re: Pluggable secret key backend

2018-11-10 Thread Dan Davis
Maybe a LoFi way to accomplish this is just to make sure that the SECRET_KEY is cast to bytes() before use. That way, a non-bytes object placed there during settings will be asked to convert it to bytes before use. I use the same trick with an internal module that retrieves database passwords

skipping elidable migrations

2018-11-09 Thread Dan Watson
s to it, I can take a stab at the implementation. Regards, Dan -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email

Re: CharField with Oracle Backend Null Behaviour

2018-11-08 Thread Dan Davis
Part of the reason to use Django is to assure some level of database portability. I use Oracle exclusively at work, although there are some plans to move towards PostgreSQL. I think blank=True should govern whether the field may be null or not. So, from my perspective, we should limit ourselves

Re: backend specific tests

2018-11-07 Thread Dan Davis
to be services not started by default. I'm a better postgresql dba than mysql, but I do OK. On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 5:45 AM Tom Forbes wrote: > Hey Dan, > > I’ve been working on a project called django_docker_box ( > https://github.com/orf/django-docker-box) that might help with th

Re: backend specific tests

2018-11-06 Thread Dan Davis
ast > non-critical > PostgreSQL cluster anyway I don't think requiring superuser privileges is > an > issue. > > Simon > > Le mardi 6 novembre 2018 18:43:47 UTC-5, Dan Davis a écrit : >> >> So, a developer using PostgreSQL doesn't need superuser privileges, but

Re: backend specific tests

2018-11-06 Thread Dan Davis
nsions the test suite uses, but > https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/2.1/ref/contrib/postgres/operations/ > would be close to a full set I'd imagine. > > On Sunday, 4 November 2018 14:43:23 UTC+11, Dan Davis wrote: >> >> So, the contributor guidelines page about unit tests mentions

django.utils.timezone.make_aware confusion

2018-11-05 Thread Dan Davis
Working on ticket #29984, I noticed that the following raises: from datetime import datetime import pytz from django.utils.timezone import make_aware euberlin = pytz.timezone('Europe/Berlin')s a dt1 = datetime(2018, 10, 24, tzinfo=euberlin) dt2 = make_aware(datetime(2018, 10, 24)) assert dt1 ==

backend specific tests

2018-11-03 Thread Dan Davis
So, the contributor guidelines page about unit tests mentions running database specific tests: https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/2.1/internals/contributing/writing-code/unit-tests/#testing-other-python-versions-and-database-backends I am working on ticket 29984, and it seems to me that since

Re: Requiring sqlparse for sqlite introspection

2018-11-03 Thread Dan Davis
I just joined as a contributor, but I've shipped an appliance install running using rpms, anaconda (the other one), and pungi. Depending on sqlparse doesn't seem to me a big deal. It already gets invoked for me during migrations. I cannot recall what caused it to be installed. One thing we

Re: Introspection of querysets

2018-11-03 Thread Dan Davis
ease. > > See code in/around > > https://github.com/adamchainz/django-mysql/blob/master/django_mysql/models/query.py > > On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 at 22:22, Dan Davis > > wrote: > >> I was thinking of providing a package containing a couple of DRF >> renderers that

Re: Introspection of querysets

2018-11-03 Thread Dan Davis
not a public interface. On Friday, November 2, 2018 at 1:34:07 PM UTC-4, Tim Graham wrote:. > Could you explain the use case for the code that needs to handle the > different types of iterators? list > > On Friday, November 2, 2018 at 11:18:34 AM UTC-4, Dan Davis wrote: >> &g

Introspection of querysets

2018-11-02 Thread Dan Davis
for this? Should there be? Thanks, -Dan -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-developer

Re: Widening participation (Thoughts from DjangoCon)

2018-10-28 Thread Dan Davis
Trac can be made easier to search with Apache Solr - https://www.pycon.it/conference/talks/full-text-search-for-trac-with-apache-solr On Sunday, October 28, 2018 at 6:04:12 PM UTC-4, Josh Smeaton wrote: > > I strongly dislike Trac in nearly every way. It's hard to search and the > filters are

Re: Ticket/Issue Tracker

2018-10-27 Thread Dan Davis
Collin, Are you using an inverted index (search engine) behind that for relevance ranking, better word segmentation/stemming/synonyms, and peirformance? I think that something like that is really needed when the problem is finding stuff. On Friday, October 26, 2018 at 9:50:43 PM UTC-4, Collin

Re: Widening participation (Thoughts from DjangoCon)

2018-10-26 Thread Dan Davis
Thanks. Although I don't solve the demographic problem, I should respond to the call for broader participation. I should make myself put aside time to contribute - and I should force my boss to let me ;) On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 9:44 AM Carlton Gibson wrote: > Hi All. > > OK, so last week I

Re: New Password Validators

2018-08-31 Thread Dan Davis
Mehmet, If you need such complexity validators, then they are easy to add as package. I think the reason why Django doesn't include more is that many use Oauth2 or other corporate authentication to validate. You can see how this is done in one case by looking at

Re: Help wanted testing proposal for the Migration Graph algorithm

2018-08-28 Thread dan
ensure consistent migrations? Around a 3.5% speedup. I hope this is what you were looking for, apologies if I've got something wrong - I'm lacking full context on this. Hope this helps! Dan [1]: pip install https://github.com/monoidal/django/archive/optimize_migrations.zip On Monday, 20 August 2

Re: rlwrap and manage.py dbshell

2018-06-28 Thread Dan Davis
est trying it in the third party backend first. Also the history > size probably doesn't need an easy way to specify, you could just give it > sensible default on a class level attribute on the DatabaseClient class so > if it *really* needs specifying, projects can subclass their own back

rlwrap and manage.py dbshell

2018-06-28 Thread Dan Davis
with a 3rd party backend, such as django-oraclepool and django-oracle-drcp (the latter I've contributed to). In any case, how would developers suggest I proceed to make this a basic option of the Oracle backend? Thanks, -Dan -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google

Re: about ticket 28588- has_perm hide non-existent permissions

2017-09-25 Thread Dan Watson
-compatibility argument. Think of superusers more as "permissions don't apply to me" than "I have all permissions". Dan On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 10:56:40 AM UTC-4, moshe nahmias wrote: > > Hi, > I am a python developer and like to use Django for we

Re: Suggested documentation: PG server-side cursors used in .iterator() only work inside a transaction

2017-08-07 Thread Dan Watson
ction), so trying to FETCH from it should raise an error. Dan On Sunday, August 6, 2017 at 10:34:35 PM UTC-4, Josh Smeaton wrote: > > Yes we should be documenting edge cases and unexpected results. We have a > page that discusses some issues with server side cursors: > https://docs.dj

Re: Contribution towards the project

2015-12-19 Thread Dan Stephenson
Welcome Yash, the "Advice for new contributors" area is probably a good first stop for dipping your toe in the water.. https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.9/internals/contributing/new-contributors/ On Wednesday, 16 December 2015 10:55:14 UTC, Yash Sharan wrote: > > Hello my name is yash

Re: annoyance with Python 3.2 support in Django 1.8

2015-12-03 Thread Dan Stephenson
Do we currently raise any warnings/exceptions in cases where Python support has / or is about to be dropped (particularly mid LTS).. As a suggestion, I was thinking it could be helpful to people affected we raised exception msg indicating the last Django version to support their current

Re: FAQ on Model-View-Controller

2015-08-08 Thread Dan S
of Viewing the model, and that Controller code can be either included in views.py or refactored elsewhere. Dan On Saturday, August 8, 2015 at 9:55:44 AM UTC-4, Aymeric Augustin wrote: > > Hello Dan, > > Depending on the size and complexity of a Django project, there are two > wa

FAQ on Model-View-Controller

2015-08-08 Thread Dan S
The Django FAQ says: *Django appears to be a MVC framework, but you call the Controller the “view”, and the View the “template”. How come you don’t use the standard names?*¶

Re: Using AbstractBaseUser without django.contrib.auth

2015-04-02 Thread Dan Watson
On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 10:38:48 AM UTC-4, Marc Tamlyn wrote: > > Apologies, I was confusing abstract base user and abstract user there. > Seems your proposal should work. Have you opened a ticket? > I have: https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/24564

Re: Using AbstractBaseUser without django.contrib.auth

2015-04-02 Thread Dan Watson
On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 2:27:51 AM UTC-4, Marc Tamlyn wrote: > > Moving them into another module won't make much difference as their > definition requires Permission and Group and therefore they'd still need to > import Permission and Group. We'd need an "AbstractAbstractBaseUser" which >

Re: Using AbstractBaseUser without django.contrib.auth

2015-04-01 Thread Dan Watson
> I'm using my own permissions system, but implementing everything PermissionsMixin does (without subclassing it) so the admin still works. > -- > Curtis > > On 2 April 2015 at 13:47, Dan Watson <dcwa...@gmail.com > > wrote: > >> While trying out Django 1.8 wit

Using AbstractBaseUser without django.contrib.auth

2015-04-01 Thread Dan Watson
, so sites could use them without triggering these errors. If this sounds reasonable, I can open a ticket/PR. Dan -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)" group. To unsubscribe from this grou

Re: sys.exit(1) from makemigrations if no changes found

2014-10-30 Thread Dan Poirier
with a new command line option would be just fine. Dan On Wed. 2014-10-29 at 03:44 AM EDT, Marc Tamlyn <marc.tam...@gmail.com> wrote: > I agree number 1 is fine. For most general interaction with the > command users won't notice. > > Marc > > On 29 Oct 2014 02:04, "Andrew Go

Re: Django Trac ticket keywords

2013-09-02 Thread Dan Poirier
On Thu. 2013-08-29 at 06:15 PM EDT, "Daniele Procida" wrote: > Would there be any objection if I used a keyword ("afraid_to_commit" > or something) to mark tickets that I think would be suitable for > first-time committers doing the "Don't be afraid to commit" tutorial > to

Re: Feature request: collectstatic shouldn't recopy files that already exist in destination

2012-10-08 Thread Dan Loewenherz
er. You are not required to include > the ETag header, but it is recommended to ensure that the storage system > successfully stored your object's content. Dan -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django developers" group. To post to thi

Re: Feature request: collectstatic shouldn't recopy files that already exist in destination

2012-10-08 Thread Dan Loewenherz
seems a bit hacky to me, and confusing for any developer maintaining a > custom storage backend that doesn't support last modified. > > I disagree, modified_time is perfectly capable of handling your use case. > No it does not address my needs, as I described above. Dan -- Y

Re: Feature request: collectstatic shouldn't recopy files that already exist in destination

2012-10-07 Thread Dan Loewenherz
This issue just got me again tonight, so I'll try to push once more on this issue. It seems right now most people don't care that this is broken, which is a bummer, but in which case I'll just continue using my working solution. Dan On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 10:48 AM, Dan Loewenherz <d...@dlo

Re: Feature request: collectstatic shouldn't recopy files that already exist in destination

2012-10-06 Thread Dan Loewenherz
Hey Jannis, On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 12:47 AM, Jannis Leidel <lei...@gmail.com> wrote: > > On 30.09.2012, at 23:41, Dan Loewenherz <d...@dlo.me> wrote: > > > Many backends don't support last modified times, and even if they all > did, it's incorrect to assume that las

Re: Feature request: collectstatic shouldn't recopy files that already exist in destination

2012-09-27 Thread Dan Loewenherz
On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 4:13 PM, Carl Meyer <c...@oddbird.net> wrote: > Hi Dan, > > On 09/27/2012 04:47 PM, Dan Loewenherz wrote: > > Just updated the ticket. > > > > As I commented, the heuristic for checking if a file has been modified > &g

Re: Feature request: collectstatic shouldn't recopy files that already exist in destination

2012-09-27 Thread Dan Loewenherz
computers). Dan On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Karen Tracey <kmtra...@gmail.com> wrote: > On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Dan Loewenherz <dloewenh...@gmail.com>wrote: > >> The problem I've run into is that collectstatic copies all files, >> regardless of wheth

Feature request: collectstatic shouldn't recopy files that already exist in destination

2012-09-27 Thread Dan Loewenherz
go? All the best, Dan -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django developers" group. To post to this group, send email to django-developers@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to django-developers+unsubscr...@googlegroups.

Re: Model inheritance extended.

2012-09-25 Thread Dan Fairs
ore stuff (model partitioning for large data volumes, handling the case of deriving from generated base classes, shared models between 'blueprints'), but the core of yours looks pretty neat. Cheers, Dan -- Dan Fairs | dan.fa...@gmail.com | @danfairs | www.fezconsulting.com -- You received thi

Ticket #18855: persist socket in runserver

2012-08-25 Thread Dan LaMotte
some feedback, I'd like to help in any way I can to get this into Django. With this change, the default behavior of runserver is changed, but the user is allowed to opt-out passing "--nopersistsocket" to runserver. Thanks for your time. - Dan LaMotte -- You received this message b

django.core.urlresolvers swallowing AttributeErrors

2012-08-14 Thread Dan Passaro
Hello, I was working on a project and noticed that urlresolvers.py would swallow attribute errors in user code. The way the get_callable function is written, the line -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django developers" group. To view this

Re: Proposal: unique by default on SlugFields

2012-06-27 Thread Dan Watson
that I may even get shot > down in flames on this one ;P Go easy on me! :) > > What do you all think? > It doesn't seem like a burden to have to say unique=True if you truly want a singularly unique slug. Making it explicit, aside from being good python zen, also helps to see

Re: FYI: Trac downtime today

2012-04-25 Thread Dan McGee
I'm unable to attach files, although ticket creation worked fine. Here is the error page: Oops… *Trac detected an internal error:* OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/home/trac/code.djangoproject.com/trac-env/attachments/ticket/18210' There was an internal error in Trac. It is

Re: Migrating to 1.4

2012-04-16 Thread Dan Fairs
em. I raised #17891 >> because the code involved a clear extension point. > > Thanks for sharing this story, Dan! It's great to hear. Let us know > about the performance differences (if any), too. Well, we're finally getting into the performance side of things now! The first big regr

Re: Proposal: upgrading the choices machinery for Django

2012-04-04 Thread Dan Poirier
I like this - it solves something that's always bugged me. One nice addition would be to specify explicitly what .id a particular Choice should have. It would be useful in converting existing code that might not have chosen to number its choices the same way this proposal does by default. It

Migrating to 1.4

2012-03-14 Thread Dan Fairs
for select_for_update(). Next up is checking that there aren't any significant performance regressions. Thanks, everyone! Cheers, Dan -- Dan Fairs | dan.fa...@gmail.com | www.fezconsulting.com -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django developers" grou

Possible regression with serializers in 1.4

2012-03-12 Thread Dan Fairs
a ticket for this one? Cheers, Dan -- Dan Fairs | dan.fa...@gmail.com | www.fezconsulting.com -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django developers" group. To post to this group, send email to django-developers@googlegroups.com. To unsubs

Re: TemplateResponse and loader should handle request

2011-11-10 Thread Dan Fairs
t of the context (use the 'request' context processor) - then use whatever mechanism you used before to pick a template based on the request. Cheers, Dan -- Dan Fairs | dan.fa...@gmail.com | www.fezconsulting.com -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups &quo

Re: Cleaning up manage.py and import paths

2011-10-10 Thread Dan Poirier
On Mon. 2011-10-10 at 06:05 PM EDT, Carl Meyer wrote: > In the spirit of making Django behave better as a Python library (c.f. > Glyph's keynote at djangocon.us), I'd like to finally tackle removing > the sys.path hacks in django.core.management.setup_environ. Yes! I can't

Re: Speed up models.Model.__init__: deprecate pre_init and post_init signals?

2011-08-15 Thread Dan Fairs
kwargs. There may be another way of doing what we're doing without post_init, but I'd need to look into it. Cheers Dan -- Dan Fairs | dan.fa...@gmail.com | www.fezconsulting.com -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django developers" group.

Re: revisiting #7726

2011-08-04 Thread Dan Watson
On Saturday, July 30, 2011 8:59:48 PM UTC-4, Russell Keith-Magee wrote: > > On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Dan Watson <dcwa...@gmail.com> wrote: > > We were recently bitten by a backwards-incompatible change that seemed to > > creep in between 1.2.4 and 1.2.5. D

revisiting #7726

2011-07-29 Thread Dan Watson
726 was fixed, essentially overriding #7064 Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I'd propose rolling back #7726, since #7064 made it possible to use (and create) decimal fields with max_digits == decimal_places. Regards, Dan [1] https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/7726 [2] ht

Re: RFC #2705 (Support for SELECT FOR UPDATE)

2011-04-15 Thread Dan Fairs
in #15580. Thanks for that, Ian. It sounds like those Oracle failures aren't related to this patch, then. Is there anything else that needs to be done before 2705 can be merged? Cheers, Dan -- Dan Fairs | dan.fa...@gmail.com | www.fezconsulting.com -- You received this message because you

Re: combining querysets with isnull

2011-04-13 Thread Dan Watson
On Thursday, October 14, 2010 7:03:35 PM UTC-4, Johannes Dollinger wrote: > > > Am 14.10.2010 um 23:07 schrieb Dan Watson: > > > There seems to be some inconsistent behavior when combining querysets > > that use isnull on a ForeignKey. I'm not sure how to explain it well

Re: RFC #2705 (Support for SELECT FOR UPDATE)

2011-04-13 Thread Dan Fairs
be great to see that happen. As ever, let me know on the ticket if there's anything else that needs to be done. Thanks, Dan -- Dan Fairs | dan.fa...@gmail.com | www.fezconsulting.com -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django developers" grou

Re: RFC #2705 (Support for SELECT FOR UPDATE)

2011-04-02 Thread Dan Fairs
and feedback on improving the patch; I'd welcome seeing it merged even more. :) Cheers, Dan -- Dan Fairs | dan.fa...@gmail.com | www.fezconsulting.com -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django developers" group. To post to this group, send email

Re: Template Compilation

2011-03-28 Thread Dan Fairs
turned out that being able to determine the base template dynamically solved our problem pretty elegantly. Put a feature in, and someone, somewhere will be using it :) Cheers, Dan -- Dan Fairs | dan.fa...@gmail.com | www.fezconsulting.com -- You received this message because you are subscribed to

Re: Suggestion: a new "nature" field in Trac

2011-03-28 Thread Dan Poirier
ng or Enhancement. Full list: blocker critical regression major normal minor trivial enhancement Dan -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django developers" group. To post to this group, send email to django-developers@googlegroups.com. To un

Re: Django urls in JavaScript

2011-03-25 Thread Dan Fairs
he URLConf is set by render time, but don't expect to be able to do a one-off analysis of the URLConf at application startup. Cheers, Dan -- Dan Fairs | dan.fa...@gmail.com | www.fezconsulting.com -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django developers&

Re: Proposal: Add current_app to request and pass it to template loaders.

2011-03-11 Thread Dan Fairs
attribute of the base view class. Cheers, Dan -- Dan Fairs | dan.fa...@gmail.com | www.fezconsulting.com -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Django developers" group. To post to this group, send email to django-developers@googlegroups.com.

Re: #14733: A vote in favor of no validation of .raw() queries

2011-03-09 Thread Dan Watson
things > that can return sets is backend-specific; that's just PG's list. > > Given that .raw() is very much a "You must know what you are doing" feature > in the first place, I don't see the need to be strict about the input, at > the cost of some very useful functiona

Re: Re-open #7231: New "join" parameter for the "extra" QuerySet method

2011-03-09 Thread Dan Watson
es) in the WHERE clause. Both *could* be accomplished using .raw() if you don't mind giving up .filter(), .order_by(), etc. But it would be a shame to throw out everything a queryset gives you just because you need hooks into the SQL it generates. If you're seriously considering deprecating .ex

Re: RFC #2705 (Support for SELECT FOR UPDATE)

2010-12-22 Thread Dan Fairs
> > On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Dan Fairs <dan.fa...@gmail.com> wrote: >> I've mainly worked on the tests and docs, not the core content of the patch, >> but I'd welcome any comments on the implementation as well - I'd like to see >> this get in (be it in a 1

RFC #2705 (Support for SELECT FOR UPDATE)

2010-12-21 Thread Dan Fairs
is the owner of this ticket currently - should I claim it?) Malcolm's main gripe was the API. If anyone has any better ideas - I'm all ears! Thanks, Dan -- Dan Fairs | dan.fa...@gmail.com | www.fezconsulting.com -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "D

  1   2   >