Fwd: Modal Logic

2005-08-13 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
-- Forwarded message -- From: Eric Cavalcanti [EMAIL PROTECTED] Date: Aug 13, 2005 4:38 PM Subject: Re: Modal Logic To: Bruno Marchal [EMAIL PROTECTED] Hi Bruno, On 8/13/05, Bruno Marchal [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: Hi Eric, I am having a problem understanding this axiom

Re: Modal Logic

2005-08-13 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
Hi Bruno, Can you give a particular example of a sentence p such that B(Bp-p) is true? Take any proposition you can prove, for example the tautology (p - p), or t. (...) So once you have prove t, all the proposition of the shape anyproposition - t is easily deducible, by

Modal Logic

2005-08-10 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
Hi Bruno, On 8/11/05, Bruno Marchal [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: I am having a problem understanding this axiom: (...) Lob formula (B(Bp-p)-Bp), the main axiom of the modal logic of self-reference (G) can be interpreted as showing that some form of honest placebo effect works! But this is

Re: QM formalist wanted

2005-07-05 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
On 7/5/05, [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: hi all. I am posting a want ad for a QM formalist who is very conversant in the mathematical formalism. here is the proposal: over the last few years I have developed an ad hoc theory that I believe comes very close to the QM formalism.

Fwd: another puzzzle

2005-06-27 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
On 6/27/05, Stathis Papaioannou [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: Sorry for going on about this, but I'm still trying to understand: what possible difference could it make to anyone - you or your copy - if you suddenly disintegrated and were replaced a microsecond later with an exact copy? To

More about identity (was Re: Torture yet again)

2005-06-24 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
I can see an interesting new problem in this thread. Let me put it in a thought experiment as the praxis in this list requires. You are in the same torture room as before, but now the guy is going to torture you to death. You have three options: A: you flip a coin to decide whether you are

Re: another puzzzle

2005-06-23 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
On 6/23/05, Stathis Papaioannou [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: Eric Cavalcanti writes: I don't think it is that good an analogy for the following reason: I don't believe that pushing a button to create a copy of me in New York will increase my expectation of experiencing New York, while I believe

Re: another puzzzle

2005-06-16 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
On 6/17/05, Stathis Papaioannou [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: You find yourself in a locked room with no windows, and no memory of how you got there. (...) a light (...) alternates between red and green every 10 minutes. (...) Every 10 minutes, the system alternates between two states. One state

Re: where is the harmonic oscillatorness?

2005-05-11 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 11:46, Hal Finney wrote: Eric Cavalcanti writes: Let's define a turing machine M with a set of internal states Q, an initial state s, a binary alphabet G={0,1}. The transition function is f: Q X G - Q X G X {L,R} , i.e., the function determines from the internal

where is the harmonic oscillatorness?

2005-05-10 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
I think some of the discussions about COMP and simulating people could be better understood if we can first understand a (much) simpler problem: a harmonic oscillator. The relevance of this is that ultimately there might be no meaning in saying that a string in Platonia or wherever represents

Re: An All/Nothing multiverse model

2004-11-16 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 08:39, Georges Quenot wrote: Hal Ruhl wrote: [...] The idea that defining a thing actually defines two things seems self evident [once you notice it]. At least one case of unavoidable definition also seems self evident [once you notice it]. The problem

Re: S, B, and a puzzle by Boolos, Smullyan, McCarthy

2004-10-12 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 22:51, Bruno Marchal wrote: As a Price, I give you the (known?) Smullyan McCarthy As a Price, or a Prize? :) puzzle. You are in front of three Gods: the God of Knights, the God of Knaves, and the God of Knives. The God of Knight always tells the truth. The God of

Re: The FLip Flop Game

2004-10-11 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
AAAghhh!!! I didn't read it carefully again!!! Yes, it is not even-money. In the infinite players case, even though you are equally likely to win or lose, you win money in the long run. I am going to sleep... :) Eric. On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 17:52, Kory Heath wrote: At 12:20 AM 10/11/2004,

[Fwd: RE: Observation selection effects]

2004-10-05 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
I always forget to reply-to-all in this list. So below goes my reply which went only to Hal Finney. -Forwarded Message- From: Eric Cavalcanti [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: Hal Finney [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: RE: Observation selection effects Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 12:57:14 +1000 On Tue

RE: [Fwd: RE: Observation selection effects]

2004-10-05 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 19:31, Brent Meeker wrote: I always forget to reply-to-all in this list. So below goes my reply which went only to Hal Finney. -Forwarded Message- From: Eric Cavalcanti [EMAIL PROTECTED] Think about if the odd number of players was exactly one. You're

RE: Observation selection effects

2004-10-03 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 10:42, Stathis Papaioannou wrote: Eric Cavalcanti writes: QUOTE- And this is the case where this problem is most paradoxical. We are very likely to have one of the lanes more crowded than the other; most of the drivers reasoning would thus, by chance, be in the more

Observation selection effects

2004-09-30 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
I have read some stuff on Nick Bostrom's page (http://nickbostrom.com/) and while in general I agree with his conclusions about observation-selection effects, there is one example which I am not sure I understand. It is the one about cars in the next lane going faster:

Fw: Gravity Carrier - could gravity be push with shadows not pull?

2004-02-26 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
Hi there, Well, it is a good try, but it has been proven wrong already indeed. To see a better refutal, see Feynman's popular book 'QED'. For instance, that theory seems even better once you realize that it also acounts for the inverse-square law. But the main flaw, if I recall it, is that

Re: Gravity Carrier - could gravity be push with shadows not pull?

2004-02-26 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
Oops, I realize that it wasn't in 'QED' but in the 'Lectures' that I read that... - Original Message - From: Eric Cavalcanti [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2004 10:18 AM Subject: Fw: Gravity Carrier - could gravity be push with shadows not pull

OT Ban on scientific publications

2004-02-18 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
Dear colleagues, this email is to draw your attention to a ban on scientific publications for authors of countries for which the USA declared a trade embargo. Under the terms of the trade embargo, a publisher of a journal that accepts a scientific paper from an author residing in Libya, Iran,

Re: More on qualia of consciousness and occam's razor

2004-02-17 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
that there are no consciousness -- so what the question is really asking?. Well my remark adds nothing in the sense that Eric Cavalcanti succeeds apparently to pinpoint the contradiction in Pete's post (through the use of Frank Jackson's colorblind Mary experiment). Nice piece of dialog. Actually I

Re: More on qualia of consciousness and occam's razor

2004-02-16 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
Pete, I hope you don't mind my replying to the list. - Original Message - From: Pete Carlton [EMAIL PROTECTED] But even this goes way out in front of what we can possibly know. You say we have no idea what these feelings are like to experience--but why should we assume we

Re: More on qualia of consciousness and occam's razor

2004-02-16 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
- Original Message - From: Stathis Papaioannou [EMAIL PROTECTED] Pete Carlton wrote: In any case, I grant that the blind man's experience would be quite different from someone who's actually looking at the color red. This is just because the functional states of someone who is

Re: More on qualia of consciousness and occam's razor

2004-02-04 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
Entering the discussion here... - Original Message - From: Pete Carlton [EMAIL PROTECTED] But even this goes way out in front of what we can possibly know. You say we have no idea what these feelings are like to experience--but why should we assume we even are entitled to ask this

Re: Re:Is the universe computable?

2004-01-15 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
- Original Message - From: David Barrett-Lennard [EMAIL PROTECTED] 0xf2f75022aa10b5ef6c69f2f59f34b03e26cb5bdb467eec82780 didn't exist in this universe (with a very high probability, it being a 512 bit number, generated from physical system noise) before I've generated it. Now it

Re: (De)coherence

2003-11-21 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
Hi Matt, - Original Message - From: Matt King [EMAIL PROTECTED] Just my tuppenceworth... Eric Cavalcanti wrote: I think this discussion might have already took place here, but I would like to take you opinions on this. How do we define (de)coherence? What makes interference

(De)coherence

2003-11-18 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
I think this discussion might have already took place here, but I will post this to take your opinions on the topic. How do we define (de)coherence? What makes interference happen or be lost? Taking the double-slit experiment in mind, with paths A and B, the first answer that comes to the mind

(De)coherence

2003-11-18 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
I think this discussion might have already took place here, but I would like to take you opinions on this. How do we define (de)coherence? What makes interference happen or be lost? Take the a double-slit-like experiment. A particle can take two paths, A and B. We can in principle detect which

Re: Quantum accident survivor

2003-11-14 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
- Original Message - From: Bruno Marchal [EMAIL PROTECTED] When you said earlier that: In a materialistic framework, ' I ' am a bunch of atoms. These atoms happen to constitute a system that has self-referential qualities that we call consciousness. I would say I *own* a bunch of

Re: Quantum accident survivor

2003-11-13 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
Hi, - Original Message - From: Pete Carlton [EMAIL PROTECTED] Greetings; this reply has taken some time... I don't quite agree with your point of view, and the reason is maybe similar to our disagreement in my statement: It is not useful to talk about 1st person experiences in

Re: Quantum accident survivor

2003-11-11 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
Hi, - Original Message - From: Hal Finney [EMAIL PROTECTED] Eric Cavalcanti, [EMAIL PROTECTED], writes: In the case of non-destructive-copy experiment, the copy is made in a distinct place/time from the original. They could as well be done 100,000 years in the future

Re: Quantum accident survivor

2003-11-10 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
Hi, - Original Message - From: Hal Finney [EMAIL PROTECTED] Suppose I sit on this copy machine in New York, and the information of the position and velocities (within quantum uncertainty) of all particles in my body is copied. Suppose, for the sake of the argument, that the mere

Re: Quantum accident survivor

2003-11-10 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
Hi, I disagreed with some points in your argumentation... - Original Message - From: David Barrett-Lennard [EMAIL PROTECTED] I'm trying to define identity... Let's write x~y if SAS's x and y (possibly in different universes) have the same identity. You did not yet 'define'

Re: Fw: Quantum accident survivor

2003-11-08 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
- Original Message - From: Jesse Mazer [EMAIL PROTECTED] I agree that a moment from now there will be a number of exactly equal copies. Nevertheless, I am sure I will only experience being one of them, so this is what I mean by ' me ' - the actual experiences I will have. Maybe

Re: Quantum accident survivor

2003-11-08 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
Hi, I found this post really thoughtful, but I didn't quite agree. Let's see if I can argue on it: Doesn't this part: In a materialistic framework, ' I ' am a bunch of atoms. These atoms happen to constitute a system that has self-referential qualities that we call consciousness. If it

Re: Quantum accident survivor

2003-11-07 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
What do you mean by *entirely equal*? - Original Message - From: David Kwinter [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 5:19 AM Subject: Re: Quantum accident survivor On Tuesday, November 4, 2003, at 10:47 AM, Eric Cavalcanti wrote: Let me stress

Re: Request for a glossary of acronyms

2003-11-07 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
Also, what about a weighted version of the ASSA? I believe other animals are conscious and thus would qualify as observers/observer-moments, which would suggest I am extraordinarily lucky to find myself as an observer-moment of what seems like the most intelligent species on the

Fw: Quantum accident survivor

2003-11-07 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
Hi, - Original Message - From: David Kwinter [EMAIL PROTECTED] I mean the absolutely exact same David Kwinter or Eric Cavalcanti as was the moment before. I agree that a moment from now there will be a number of exactly equal copies. Nevertheless, I am sure I will only

Re: Quantum accident survivor

2003-11-04 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
Hi, Sorry for the late reply to this: From: Hal Finney [EMAIL PROTECTED] You can assume anything you like! Seriously, we have had extensive and occasionally acrimonious debates on this topic in the past, without much success or resolution. I think that we have no good foundation

JOINING post

2003-10-31 Thread Eric Cavalcanti
Hi, My name is Eric Cavalcanti, and I am joining this list. As was solicited in the website, I am sending this Joining post with details of my background. I am a physicist, recently received my MSc in atomic physics. I have been participating in the Fabric of Reality list for some time, so I