Re: Humans Hold Anti-AI, Anti-Robot Protest in Texas

2015-03-18 Thread spudboy100 via Everything List
Yeah, good idea, but sounds like BS to me. Werner Von Braun thought that we'd have a Mars landing by the 1980's/ Then, Again, Von Braun was involved personally in the killing of my peeps, maybe even some relatives, at Nordhausen, so what did he really know? The Loop may actually happen though.

Re: Michael Graziano's theory of consciousness

2015-03-18 Thread John Clark
On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 , Bruno Marchal marc...@ulb.ac.be wrote: Intelligence is not a question of behavior. If so then you have no reason to believe that Einstein was intelligent and you have no reason to believe that a rock is not, and thus intelligence joins God as being words that convey

Re: Michael Graziano's theory of consciousness

2015-03-18 Thread John Clark
On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 Bruno Marchal marc...@ulb.ac.be wrote: So, consciousness - evolutionary advantage or spandrell? Both. I would say. Then the Turing Test works for consciousness and not just for intelligence. But then you don't believe the Turing Test even works for intelligence

Re: The world's most environmentally friendly car

2015-03-18 Thread Platonist Guitar Cowboy
On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 11:47 AM, Telmo Menezes te...@telmomenezes.com wrote: On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 12:34 AM, LizR lizj...@gmail.com wrote: Well of course laughing AT people you dislike is a classic bullying technique. And then you say oh come on it was only a joke! Yet bullies never

Re: Michael Graziano's theory of consciousness

2015-03-18 Thread John Clark
On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 1:07 PM, Quentin Anciaux allco...@gmail.com wrote: Liar Clark seriously ? Hi Quentin Gosh, it's been a long time, I thought you'd forgotten all about your friend Liar. Liar Mendacity Clark -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups

Re: Michael Graziano's theory of consciousness

2015-03-18 Thread Quentin Anciaux
Liar Clark seriously ? you wanna go down that way, asserting Bruno is affraid of machine intelligence where all is work is about computationalism ? really ? It's so pathetic, I don't understand why you can stoop so low and lie so much against him... Is he threatening you ? maybe because even

Re: Humans Hold Anti-AI, Anti-Robot Protest in Texas

2015-03-18 Thread LizR
On 19 March 2015 at 01:28, spudboy100 via Everything List everything-list@googlegroups.com wrote: Yeah, good idea, but sounds like BS to me. Werner Von Braun thought that we'd have a Mars landing by the 1980's/ Then, Again, Von Braun was involved personally in the killing of my peeps, maybe

Re: Carroll and Motul

2015-03-18 Thread LizR
On 19 March 2015 at 06:36, Bruno Marchal marc...@ulb.ac.be wrote: Only the one with a linear bottom seems to have the reasonable measure. I have long realised this, but mine insists on being round and its measure is quite unreasonable. -- You received this message because you are subscribed

Re: The world's most environmentally friendly car

2015-03-18 Thread LizR
I'm not having anyone stealing my crown as most obtuse person on the list, thank you! The reason people can't always just find something funny usually depends on the subtext - is this joke denigrating some particular group or type of person by implication? That's why jokes about mothers in law

Re: Looks like this isn't a spandrell after all

2015-03-18 Thread Russell Standish
On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 01:08:05PM +1300, LizR wrote: Damn it, I've often cited this as an example of unintelligent design and now the creationists get the last laugh. Oh well that's science! http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-purpose-of-our-eyes-strange-wiring-is-unveiled The

Looks like this isn't a spandrell after all

2015-03-18 Thread LizR
Damn it, I've often cited this as an example of unintelligent design and now the creationists get the last laugh. Oh well that's science! http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-purpose-of-our-eyes-strange-wiring-is-unveiled -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the

Re: Looks like this isn't a spandrell after all

2015-03-18 Thread LizR
Yeah, I wondered about noctural animals. Also, they say: This is a long-standing puzzle, even more so since the same structure, of neurons before light detectors, exists in all vertebrates, showing evolutionary stability. Which also strikes me as suspect since it could just be not worth correcting

Re: The world's most environmentally friendly car

2015-03-18 Thread Telmo Menezes
On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 5:20 PM, Platonist Guitar Cowboy multiplecit...@gmail.com wrote: On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 11:47 AM, Telmo Menezes te...@telmomenezes.com wrote: On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 12:34 AM, LizR lizj...@gmail.com wrote: Well of course laughing AT people you dislike is a

Re: The world's most environmentally friendly car

2015-03-18 Thread LizR
On 14 March 2015 at 09:14, meekerdb meeke...@verizon.net wrote: On 3/13/2015 12:35 PM, 'Chris de Morsella' via Everything List wrote: You really do hate environmentalists don’t you John. Hey, it's The Onion. It's like I tell vegans,The most environmentally friendly diet is cannabilism.

I hate to say it...

2015-03-18 Thread LizR
...but if this happens it shows what you can accomplish if you don't have to mess around with any pesky democratic processes... http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-18/china-increases-solar-target-for-2015-as-it-fights-air-pollution I just hope the USA decides that this constitutes a

Re: Looks like this isn't a spandrell after all

2015-03-18 Thread meekerdb
On 3/18/2015 5:08 PM, LizR wrote: Damn it, I've often cited this as an example of unintelligent design and now the creationists get the last laugh. Oh well that's science! http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-purpose-of-our-eyes-strange-wiring-is-unveiled I don't think you need to

Re: I hate to say it...

2015-03-18 Thread meekerdb
On 3/18/2015 8:36 PM, LizR wrote: ...but if this happens it shows what you can accomplish if you don't have to mess around with any pesky democratic processes... http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-18/china-increases-solar-target-for-2015-as-it-fights-air-pollution Of course

Re: The world's most environmentally friendly car

2015-03-18 Thread Platonist Guitar Cowboy
On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 12:05 AM, Telmo Menezes te...@telmomenezes.com wrote: On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 5:20 PM, Platonist Guitar Cowboy multiplecit...@gmail.com wrote: On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 11:47 AM, Telmo Menezes te...@telmomenezes.com wrote: On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 12:34 AM, LizR

Re: Carroll and Motul

2015-03-18 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 18 Mar 2015, at 04:34, Bruce Kellett wrote: meekerdb wrote: On 3/17/2015 2:50 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote: Bruno Marchal wrote: To be sure, I have to meditate more on some of Sean Carroll saying about how to interpret stationary states in quantum mechanics, too. This is one of the