Re: Why is there something rather than nothing?

2011-08-10 Thread Roger Granet
David,     Thanks for the feedback. I'm not suggesting that non-existence/radical absence contains a property or definition because I agree that it would then not be non-existence.  I'm suggesting that non-existence is the complete description/definition of what is present and can therefore be

Re: COMP refutation paper - finally out

2011-08-10 Thread benjayk
Bruno Marchal wrote: On 08 Aug 2011, at 20:56, benjayk wrote: Bruno Marchal wrote: On 07 Aug 2011, at 21:50, benjayk wrote: Bruno Marchal wrote: Bruno Marchal wrote: Bruno Marchal wrote: Then computer science provides a theory of consciousness, and explains how

Re: bruno list

2011-08-10 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 3:29 AM, Craig Weinberg whatsons...@gmail.com wrote: There are differences between people that do not make a difference to their intelligence or (by assumption) their consciousness. Definitely. But only certain kinds of differences. Some differences which might seem

Re: COMP refutation paper - finally out

2011-08-10 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 09 Aug 2011, at 21:13, meekerdb wrote: What more evidence would you need to believe mathematical objects exist? I haven't seen any evidence yet. Mathematical objects are inventions of our minds dependent on language. Are you not confusing human mathematical theories and the

Re: Computation = Information processing

2011-08-10 Thread Craig Weinberg
On Aug 10, 1:30 am, Stephen P. King stephe...@charter.net wrote: Sounds ok to me, although I would still say that the cosmos is more than just information. I think of Sense (+chance) as the invariance (+variance) between Essence (significance) and Existence (entropy). Which would make

Re: bruno list

2011-08-10 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 4:54 AM, meekerdb meeke...@verizon.net wrote: There's the rub.  What counts as overall?  Can I replace one hemisphere of the brain that is functionally identical at its boundaries and guarantee that there is no change in consciousness? Yes. Suppose your right

Re: bruno list

2011-08-10 Thread Jason Resch
On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Stathis Papaioannou stath...@gmail.comwrote: On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 4:54 AM, meekerdb meeke...@verizon.net wrote: There's the rub. What counts as overall? Can I replace one hemisphere of the brain that is functionally identical at its boundaries and

Re: bruno list

2011-08-10 Thread Craig Weinberg
On Aug 10, 9:55 am, Stathis Papaioannou stath...@gmail.com wrote: Yes. Suppose your right hemisphere is replaced with a machine that is functionally identical at its boundaries but has a qualitatively different consciousness. To me this is like saying 'suppose the Eastern United States is

Re: Why is there something rather than nothing?

2011-08-10 Thread David Nyman
On 9 August 2011 18:16, Roger Granet roger...@yahoo.com wrote: So, when I say that non-existence is the complete description of what is present, by necessity, I'm jumping back and forth between two meanings of non-existence.  The first non-existence in the phrase refers to non-existence

logic and physicists

2011-08-10 Thread ronaldheld
I believe Bruno said this. Could whomever did say that expand upon the phrase? Ronald -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email to

Re: bruno list

2011-08-10 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:48 AM, Jason Resch jasonre...@gmail.com wrote: Yes. Suppose your right hemisphere is replaced with a machine that is functionally identical at its boundaries but has a qualitatively different consciousness. The left half of your left visual field will then look

Re: bruno list

2011-08-10 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 1:20 AM, Craig Weinberg whatsons...@gmail.com wrote: On Aug 10, 9:55 am, Stathis Papaioannou stath...@gmail.com wrote: Yes. Suppose your right hemisphere is replaced with a machine that is functionally identical at its boundaries but has a qualitatively different

Re: Unconscious Components

2011-08-10 Thread Stephen P. King
On 8/10/2011 10:27 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote: On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 1:20 AM, Craig Weinbergwhatsons...@gmail.com wrote: On Aug 10, 9:55 am, Stathis Papaioannoustath...@gmail.com wrote: Yes. Suppose your right hemisphere is replaced with a machine that is functionally identical at its

Re: COMP refutation paper - finally out

2011-08-10 Thread meekerdb
On 8/9/2011 9:48 PM, Jason Resch wrote: That is explained as an illusion in GR for an eternal black hole. In Susskinds theory the in-falling person is both smeared (in strings) on the horizon and *also* destroyed in the singularity, so that when the BH evaporates the

Re: bruno list

2011-08-10 Thread meekerdb
On 8/10/2011 7:21 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote: On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:48 AM, Jason Reschjasonre...@gmail.com wrote: Yes. Suppose your right hemisphere is replaced with a machine that is functionally identical at its boundaries but has a qualitatively different consciousness. The

Re: Unconscious Components

2011-08-10 Thread meekerdb
On 8/10/2011 8:20 PM, Stephen P. King wrote: Hi Stathis, Exactly how would we know that that component was unconscious? What is the test? Onward! Stephen Your just confusing things. It's a hypothetical. Craig holds that only organic kinds of things can be conscious, so

Re: Unconscious Components

2011-08-10 Thread Stathis Papaioannou
On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Stephen P. King stephe...@charter.net wrote: Please explain what would you think would happen if you replaced part of your brain with an unconscious component that interacted normally with the surrounding neurons. Would you say I feel different or would you

Re: Why is there something rather than nothing?

2011-08-10 Thread Roger
David, I believe you're right that I misspoke in my previous posting. Thanks. What I meant was that if we consider non-existence itself and not our mind's conception of non-existence, then that non-existence itself (ie, that complete lack of all matter, energy, time, space, ideas,