Re: Wisdom from Calvin Cooldge

2012-12-16 Thread meekerdb
On 12/15/2012 9:43 PM, Stephen P. King wrote: On 12/15/2012 5:51 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote: If you have a group of people getting rich while other people are in bondage to them and stay poor, that presents a problem for social mobility - which is being realized now as the US has fallen beneath

Re: A truce: if atheism/materialism is an as if universe

2012-12-16 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 06 Dec 2012, at 15:00, Roger Clough wrote: Hi Stephen P. King OK, after thinking it over, it seems there's two ways of thinking about L's metaphysics. 1) (My way) The Idealist way, that being L's metaphysics as is. 2) (Your way) The atheist/materialist way, that being the usual

Re: On the need for perspective and relations in modelling the mind

2012-12-16 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 06 Dec 2012, at 18:58, Richard Ruquist wrote: On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Bruno Marchal marc...@ulb.ac.be wrote: The 1p is not left out. Eventually comp singles out eight person points of view. If you think comp left out the person, you miss the meaning of the comp hope, or

Re: Avoiding the use of the word God

2012-12-16 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 14 Dec 2012, at 22:44, Stephen P. King wrote: On 12/14/2012 5:09 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote: On 13 Dec 2012, at 16:50, Richard Ruquist wrote: On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 5:35 AM, Bruno Marchal marc...@ulb.ac.be wrote: My prejudice is that the projection from dreams of the mind is to a

Re: Against Mechanism

2012-12-16 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 15 Dec 2012, at 04:25, Stephen P. King wrote: On 12/14/2012 6:07 PM, meekerdb wrote: On 12/14/2012 2:19 PM, Stephen P. King wrote: On 12/14/2012 4:50 PM, meekerdb wrote: Brent Meeker appreciates John Clark's concern with pronouns. I think it needs to put in the context of QM, which

Re: the only truth we can understand is a man-made object

2012-12-16 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 14 Dec 2012, at 13:06, Roger Clough wrote: Hi Bruno Marchal 1) If there is an ultimate truth, the only one we can understand is in words. With the CTM that might make sense, but a priori this is not obvious. 2) Words are man-made objects. No. With the CTM the ultimate truth is

Re: the truth of science and the truth of religion

2012-12-16 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 14 Dec 2012, at 16:38, Richard Ruquist wrote: On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 5:41 AM, Bruno Marchal marc...@ulb.ac.be wrote: On 13 Dec 2012, at 22:21, Stephen P. King wrote: On 12/13/2012 2:48 PM, Richard Ruquist wrote: On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM, meekerdbmeeke...@verizon.net wrote:

Re: Re: Re: life is teleological

2012-12-16 Thread Telmo Menezes
Hi Roger, Man has no purpose (wise or foolish, it doesn't matter) in life ? He has evolved, hasn't he ? So man is at least one example of purpose driving or enhancing evolution. Purpose is a human construct. DNA encodes the developmental process (or algorithm) for our brain. This

Re: Re: Moral evaluations of harm are instant and emotional,brain study shows

2012-12-16 Thread Roger Clough
Hi Craig Weinberg I believe that life and consciousness and intelligence are inseparable because none can act without the others being involved. [Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net] 12/15/2012 Forever is a long time, especially near the end. -Woody Allen - Receiving the following

Re: Against Mechanism

2012-12-16 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 14 Dec 2012, at 21:54, John Clark wrote: On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 5:45 AM, Bruno Marchal marc...@ulb.ac.be wrote: In the 3p-view. But with the Computationalist Theory of Mind (CTM, alias comp), there are two first person points of view Yes, Bruno Marchal has said that many times

Re: Against Mechanism

2012-12-16 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 15 Dec 2012, at 00:07, meekerdb wrote: On 12/14/2012 2:19 PM, Stephen P. King wrote: On 12/14/2012 4:50 PM, meekerdb wrote: Brent Meeker appreciates John Clark's concern with pronouns. I think it needs to put in the context of QM, which is what Bruno is proposing to explain.

Re: Against Mechanism

2012-12-16 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 15 Dec 2012, at 00:09, meekerdb wrote: On 12/14/2012 2:19 PM, John Mikes wrote: Brent, I stopped a long time ago to read the 'transported' versions for one reason: if it is REALLY (only) a transport, it does not make a difference whether you will CONTINUE in Moscow or in Helsinki, it

Re: Re: Re: Wisdom from Calvin Cooldge

2012-12-16 Thread Roger Clough
Hi Craig Weinberg No, I meant you are imputing guilt on me. [Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net] 12/16/2012 Forever is a long time, especially near the end. -Woody Allen - Receiving the following content - From: Craig Weinberg Receiver: everything-list Time: 2012-12-15, 15:51:51

Re: Re: A truce: if atheism/materialism is an as if universe

2012-12-16 Thread Roger Clough
Hi Bruno Marchal I probably agree, but what is the primitive physical universe ? [Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net] 12/16/2012 Forever is a long time, especially near the end. -Woody Allen - Receiving the following content - From: Bruno Marchal Receiver: everything-list Time:

Re: Re: On the need for perspective and relations in modelling the mind

2012-12-16 Thread Roger Clough
Hi Bruno Marchal Pardon my ignorance, but what is Dt ? [Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net] 12/16/2012 Forever is a long time, especially near the end. -Woody Allen - Receiving the following content - From: Bruno Marchal Receiver: everything-list Time: 2012-12-16, 04:47:59

Re: Moral evaluations of harm are instant and emotional,brainstudy shows

2012-12-16 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 16 Dec 2012, at 00:05, meekerdb wrote: On 12/15/2012 7:09 AM, Roger Clough wrote: Hi Craig Weinberg Conservatives indeed generally resist most (but not all) change because the changes are emotionally based rather than logically based, and so often do more harm than good. And waste money.

Re: Re: the only truth we can understand is a man-made object

2012-12-16 Thread Roger Clough
Hi Bruno Marchal Arithmetic truth ? Perhaps to a mathematician, and it might be useful along the way, but as a pragmatist, and a human being, I submit that the only truth that we can use is one whose meaning we correctly understand. [Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net] 12/16/2012 Forever is

Re: Re: Moral evaluations of harm are instant and emotional,brainstudyshows

2012-12-16 Thread Roger Clough
Hi Craig Weinberg Ultimately we can arrive at a better society, but ultimately we will all be broke. Look at europe. [Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net] 12/16/2012 Forever is a long time, especially near the end. -Woody Allen - Receiving the following content - From: Craig

Re: Progressives and social darwinism

2012-12-16 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 16 Dec 2012, at 07:20, Stephen P. King wrote: On 12/15/2012 6:41 PM, meekerdb wrote: On 12/15/2012 10:37 AM, Stephen P. King wrote: Dear Craig, All of these points are instances of taking a particular evaluational frame, making it absolute, and issuing judgements from it. It is

Re: Re: Moral evaluations of harm are instant and emotional,brain study shows

2012-12-16 Thread Craig Weinberg
On Sunday, December 16, 2012 7:15:02 AM UTC-5, rclough wrote: Hi Craig Weinberg I believe that life and consciousness and intelligence are inseparable because none can act without the others being involved. Sense - biological quality sense (life) - animal quality sense (animal life)

Re: Re: Re: Wisdom from Calvin Cooldge

2012-12-16 Thread Craig Weinberg
On Sunday, December 16, 2012 8:20:09 AM UTC-5, rclough wrote: Hi Craig Weinberg No, I meant you are imputing guilt on me. I understand, but I am saying that nobody is responsible for their feelings of guilt but themselves. Try it out. 'You are a really crummy person for stealing that

Re: Re: Moral evaluations of harm are instant and emotional,brainstudyshows

2012-12-16 Thread Craig Weinberg
On Sunday, December 16, 2012 8:58:21 AM UTC-5, rclough wrote: Hi Craig Weinberg Ultimately we can arrive at a better society, but ultimately we will all be broke. Look at europe. If we don't arrive at a better society, we'll all be in debt and sick. Craig [Roger Clough],

Re: Moral evaluations of harm are instant and emotional,brainstudy shows

2012-12-16 Thread Craig Weinberg
On Sunday, December 16, 2012 8:53:19 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote: On 16 Dec 2012, at 00:05, meekerdb wrote: On 12/15/2012 7:09 AM, Roger Clough wrote: Hi Craig Weinberg Conservatives indeed generally resist most (but not all) change because the changes are emotionally

Re: A truce: if atheism/materialism is an as if universe

2012-12-16 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 16 Dec 2012, at 14:48, Roger Clough wrote: Hi Bruno Marchal I probably agree, but what is the primitive physical universe ? Any conception of the physical universe in case you assume its existence in the TOE (explicitly or implicity). A non primitive physical universe is a physical

Re: On the need for perspective and relations in modelling the mind

2012-12-16 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 16 Dec 2012, at 14:49, Roger Clough wrote: Hi Bruno Marchal Pardon my ignorance, but what is Dt ? Consistency of 0 = 0, or simply self-consistency. It is the modal Diamond in the modal logic of provability). It is the same as ~Bf (not provable false). D is the same as ~B ~ (like

Re: the only truth we can understand is a man-made object

2012-12-16 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 16 Dec 2012, at 14:54, Roger Clough wrote: Hi Bruno Marchal Arithmetic truth ? Perhaps to a mathematician, and it might be useful along the way, but as a pragmatist, and a human being, I submit that the only truth that we can use is one whose meaning we correctly understand. OK? Then it

Re: Progressives and social darwinism

2012-12-16 Thread Craig Weinberg
On Sunday, December 16, 2012 1:55:07 AM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote: On 12/16/2012 12:48 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote: Yeah, but we happen to be siting in the 21st century using the knowledge that has accumulated by science and so forth to pass judgement on people that did not

Re: Are monads tokens ?

2012-12-16 Thread Craig Weinberg
On Sunday, December 16, 2012 8:36:55 AM UTC-5, rclough wrote: Are monads tokens ? I'm going to say yes, because each monad refers to a corporeal body as a whole (so it is nonreductive at the physical end) even though each monad, being specific about what it refers to, identifies the

Re: life is teleological

2012-12-16 Thread Richard Ruquist
On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Bruno Marchal marc...@ulb.ac.be wrote: It is the infinities you need to say always NO to the doctor despite each year he lowers the level of its digital brains. I can understand you say no to the doctor who proposes you a 16K brain-computer, but why saying no

Re: life is teleological

2012-12-16 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 16 Dec 2012, at 17:22, Richard Ruquist wrote: On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Bruno Marchal marc...@ulb.ac.be wrote: It is the infinities you need to say always NO to the doctor despite each year he lowers the level of its digital brains. I can understand you say no to the doctor who

Re: Wisdom from Calvin Cooldge

2012-12-16 Thread Stephen P. King
On 12/16/2012 3:29 AM, meekerdb wrote: On 12/15/2012 9:43 PM, Stephen P. King wrote: On 12/15/2012 5:51 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote: If you have a group of people getting rich while other people are in bondage to them and stay poor, that presents a problem for social mobility - which is being

Re: On the need for perspective and relations in modelling the mind

2012-12-16 Thread Stephen P. King
On 12/16/2012 4:47 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote: On 06 Dec 2012, at 18:58, Richard Ruquist wrote: On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Bruno Marchal marc...@ulb.ac.be wrote: The 1p is not left out. Eventually comp singles out eight person points of view. If you think comp left out the person, you

Re: Avoiding the use of the word God

2012-12-16 Thread Stephen P. King
On 12/16/2012 5:15 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote: [BM] Everett already show that such relative probabilities does not depend on the choice of the basis, nor on my place in the multiverse. [SPK] I strongly disagree with this statement! Everett showed the exact opposite; that relative

Re: Moral evaluations of harm are instant and emotional,brainstudy shows

2012-12-16 Thread meekerdb
On 12/15/2012 10:06 PM, Stephen P. King wrote: OK, we now have good enough reasons to reeducate them people. Are you trying to be a guard at that camp that I might possibly need to bribe? I grew up as a son of Bible Thumpers. So did I. I've noticed that conservatives and libertarians are

Re: Progressives and social darwinism

2012-12-16 Thread meekerdb
On 12/15/2012 10:20 PM, Stephen P. King wrote: I guess preventing women from learning to read is good in Afghanistan, even though it's bad here. So it's rational when you agree with the conclusion and rationalization when you don't. Brent No, it is not! Where are people in power in

Re: Against Mechanism

2012-12-16 Thread John Clark
On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 7:34 AM, Bruno Marchal marc...@ulb.ac.be wrote: it's true that after the duplication there will be 2 first person Bruno Marchal points of view, but the problem is that before the duplication there is only one first person point of view at it is here the question is

Re: Progressives and social darwinism

2012-12-16 Thread meekerdb
On 12/15/2012 10:55 PM, Stephen P. King wrote: Try this. Consider a number of cities in the US that have been governed by predominantly Progressive policies and compare then, apples to apples, to a number cities that have been governed Conservatively with one stipulation: that Progressive

Re: A truce: if atheism/materialism is an as if universe

2012-12-16 Thread meekerdb
On 12/16/2012 1:40 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote: On 06 Dec 2012, at 15:00, Roger Clough wrote: Hi Stephen P. King OK, after thinking it over, it seems there's two ways of thinking about L's metaphysics. 1) (My way) The Idealist way, that being L's metaphysics as is. 2) (Your way) The

Re: Are monads tokens ?

2012-12-16 Thread Stephen P. King
On 12/16/2012 8:36 AM, Roger Clough wrote: Are monads tokens ? I'm going to say yes, because each monad refers to a corporeal body as a whole (so it is nonreductive at the physical end) even though each monad, being specific about what it refers to, identifies the type of object it refers to.

Re: Progressives and social darwinism

2012-12-16 Thread Stephen P. King
On 12/16/2012 9:03 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote: Arguments from unreal hypotheticals are always fallacious. If the hypothetical are effectively real, they would not be hypothetical. Q.E.D. -- Onward! Stephen -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups

Re: the only truth we can understand is a man-made object

2012-12-16 Thread meekerdb
On 12/16/2012 2:31 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote: No. With the CTM the ultimate truth is arithmetical truth, and we cannot really define it (with the CTM). We can approximate it in less obvious ontologies, like second order logic, set theory, etc. But with CTM this does not really define it. Don't

Re: Moral evaluations of harm are instant and emotional,brainstudy shows

2012-12-16 Thread Stephen P. King
On 12/16/2012 9:49 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote: My standard comment is that the Democrats will say that they are going to do good things and not do them while Republicans will do bad things and then say that they are good. Hi Craig, To me it boils down to a willingness to be

Re: life is teleological

2012-12-16 Thread Stephen P. King
On 12/16/2012 10:15 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote: If a beaver purposefully builds a dam And a child drowns in the lake created by the beaver dam, do we execute the beaver? or a bee builds a honeycomb If a honeycomb falls on the child, do we demand payment from all bees? -- Onward!

Re: Moral evaluations of harm are instant and emotional,brainstudy shows

2012-12-16 Thread Stephen P. King
On 12/16/2012 1:39 PM, meekerdb wrote: On 12/15/2012 10:06 PM, Stephen P. King wrote: OK, we now have good enough reasons to reeducate them people. Are you trying to be a guard at that camp that I might possibly need to bribe? I grew up as a son of Bible Thumpers. So did I. I've noticed

Re: Progressives and social darwinism

2012-12-16 Thread Stephen P. King
On 12/16/2012 1:42 PM, meekerdb wrote: On 12/15/2012 10:20 PM, Stephen P. King wrote: I guess preventing women from learning to read is good in Afghanistan, even though it's bad here. So it's rational when you agree with the conclusion and rationalization when you don't. Brent No,

Re: A truce: if atheism/materialism is an as if universe

2012-12-16 Thread Telmo Menezes
On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 8:16 PM, meekerdb meeke...@verizon.net wrote: On 12/16/2012 1:40 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote: On 06 Dec 2012, at 15:00, Roger Clough wrote: Hi Stephen P. King OK, after thinking it over, it seems there's two ways of thinking about L's metaphysics. 1) (My way) The

Re: Progressives and social darwinism

2012-12-16 Thread Stephen P. King
On 12/16/2012 2:00 PM, meekerdb wrote: On 12/15/2012 10:55 PM, Stephen P. King wrote: Try this. Consider a number of cities in the US that have been governed by predominantly Progressive policies and compare then, apples to apples, to a number cities that have been governed Conservatively

Re: Progressives and social darwinism

2012-12-16 Thread Craig Weinberg
On Sunday, December 16, 2012 2:47:54 PM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote: On 12/16/2012 1:42 PM, meekerdb wrote: On 12/15/2012 10:20 PM, Stephen P. King wrote: I guess preventing women from learning to read is good in Afghanistan, even though it's bad here. So it's rational when you

Re: Progressives and social darwinism

2012-12-16 Thread spudboy100
The assumption here is that Oliver Stone is presenting verifiable history, rather then his own, Neo-marxist Theory of history. That the Third World (an invented word of the Left) is deserving of deep respect, and is presumed blameless in all things, as well. I notice the avoidance of blaming

Re: Progressives and social darwinism

2012-12-16 Thread Craig Weinberg
On Sunday, December 16, 2012 3:19:54 PM UTC-5, spudb...@aol.com wrote: The assumption here is that Oliver Stone is presenting verifiable history, rather then his own, Neo-marxist Theory of history. That the Third World (an invented word of the Left) is deserving of deep respect, and is

Re: A truce: if atheism/materialism is an as if universe

2012-12-16 Thread Richard Ruquist
On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 2:51 PM, Telmo Menezes te...@telmomenezes.com wrote: On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 8:16 PM, meekerdb meeke...@verizon.net wrote: On 12/16/2012 1:40 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote: On 06 Dec 2012, at 15:00, Roger Clough wrote: Hi Stephen P. King OK, after thinking it over,

Re: Moral evaluations of harm are instant and emotional,brainstudy shows

2012-12-16 Thread meekerdb
On 12/16/2012 11:31 AM, Stephen P. King wrote: On 12/16/2012 9:49 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote: My standard comment is that the Democrats will say that they are going to do good things and not do them while Republicans will do bad things and then say that they are good. Hi Craig,

Re: Progressives and social darwinism

2012-12-16 Thread Stephen P. King
On 12/16/2012 3:05 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote: On Sunday, December 16, 2012 2:47:54 PM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote: On 12/16/2012 1:42 PM, meekerdb wrote: On 12/15/2012 10:20 PM, Stephen P. King wrote: I guess preventing women from learning to read is good in Afghanistan,

Re: Progressives and social darwinism

2012-12-16 Thread Stephen P. King
On 12/16/2012 3:19 PM, spudboy...@aol.com wrote: The assumption here is that Oliver Stone is presenting verifiable history, rather then his own, Neo-marxist Theory of history. That the Third World (an invented word of the Left) is deserving of deep respect, and is presumed blameless in all

Re: Progressives and social darwinism

2012-12-16 Thread Stephen P. King
On 12/16/2012 3:41 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote: On Sunday, December 16, 2012 3:19:54 PM UTC-5, spudb...@aol.com wrote: The assumption here is that Oliver Stone is presenting verifiable history, rather then his own, Neo-marxist Theory of history. That the Third World (an invented word

Re: Progressives and social darwinism

2012-12-16 Thread Craig Weinberg
On Sunday, December 16, 2012 4:16:51 PM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote: On 12/16/2012 3:05 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote: On Sunday, December 16, 2012 2:47:54 PM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote: On 12/16/2012 1:42 PM, meekerdb wrote: On 12/15/2012 10:20 PM, Stephen P. King wrote:

Re: Moral evaluations of harm are instant and emotional,brainstudy shows

2012-12-16 Thread Stephen P. King
On 12/16/2012 3:53 PM, meekerdb wrote: On 12/16/2012 11:31 AM, Stephen P. King wrote: On 12/16/2012 9:49 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote: My standard comment is that the Democrats will say that they are going to do good things and not do them while Republicans will do bad things and then

Re: Progressives and social darwinism

2012-12-16 Thread Stephen P. King
On 12/16/2012 4:28 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote: OH, I get it! The fact that I am born in the US makes me guilty of a crime for which I must pay restitution. Nice! What a nice con. Get people to believe that they owe you money and then sit back and collect checks. Sweet! Just

Re: Progressives and social darwinism

2012-12-16 Thread Craig Weinberg
On Sunday, December 16, 2012 6:44:11 PM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote: On 12/16/2012 4:28 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote: OH, I get it! The fact that I am born in the US makes me guilty of a crime for which I must pay restitution. Nice! What a nice con. Get people to believe that they owe

Re: Progressives and social darwinism

2012-12-16 Thread Craig Weinberg
On Sunday, December 16, 2012 4:22:30 PM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote: On 12/16/2012 3:41 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote: On Sunday, December 16, 2012 3:19:54 PM UTC-5, spudb...@aol.com wrote: The assumption here is that Oliver Stone is presenting verifiable history, rather then his

Re: Progressives and social darwinism

2012-12-16 Thread Stephen P. King
On 12/16/2012 7:18 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote: On Sunday, December 16, 2012 6:44:11 PM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote: On 12/16/2012 4:28 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote: OH, I get it! The fact that I am born in the US makes me guilty of a crime for which I must pay restitution.

Re: Progressives and social darwinism

2012-12-16 Thread Stephen P. King
On 12/16/2012 7:27 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote: What about all of the other possible theories of history? This series isn't a theory, it's just recent US history focusing on the deeper background of the people involved. He shows how even the generals disagreed with Truman that dropping

Re: A truce: if atheism/materialism is an as if universe

2012-12-16 Thread Telmo Menezes
Hi Richard, I believe in the one god of CTM and its (X Z) logically derived string theory that is omnipotent (contains and carries out the laws of physics), When people claim that an entity is omnipotent, they are generally implying intentionality on the part of the entity. omniscient

Re: Progressives and social darwinism

2012-12-16 Thread Craig Weinberg
On Sunday, December 16, 2012 7:36:35 PM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote: On 12/16/2012 7:18 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote: On Sunday, December 16, 2012 6:44:11 PM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote: On 12/16/2012 4:28 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote: OH, I get it! The fact that I am born in the

Re: Progressives and social darwinism

2012-12-16 Thread Craig Weinberg
On Sunday, December 16, 2012 8:02:49 PM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote: On 12/16/2012 7:27 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote: What about all of the other possible theories of history? This series isn't a theory, it's just recent US history focusing on the deeper background of the people

Re: A truce: if atheism/materialism is an as if universe

2012-12-16 Thread meekerdb
On 12/16/2012 8:57 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote: Hi Richard, I believe in the one god of CTM and its (X Z) logically derived string theory that is omnipotent (contains and carries out the laws of physics), When people claim that an entity is omnipotent, they are generally implying

Re: Progressives and social darwinism

2012-12-16 Thread Stephen P. King
On 12/17/2012 12:23 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote: On Sunday, December 16, 2012 7:36:35 PM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote: On 12/16/2012 7:18 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote: On Sunday, December 16, 2012 6:44:11 PM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote: On 12/16/2012 4:28 PM, Craig

Re: Progressives and social darwinism

2012-12-16 Thread Stephen P. King
On 12/17/2012 12:27 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote: My point is that there is no such a thing as an objective account of history. Of course. Oliver Stone pretty much says that too. Any account of the history of the world, where many people and things are involved in many processes

Re: A truce: if atheism/materialism is an as if universe

2012-12-16 Thread Richard Ruquist
On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 12:44 AM, meekerdb meeke...@verizon.net wrote: On 12/16/2012 8:57 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote: Hi Richard, I believe in the one god of CTM and its (X Z) logically derived string theory that is omnipotent (contains and carries out the laws of physics), When people

Re: A truce: if atheism/materialism is an as if universe

2012-12-16 Thread meekerdb
On 12/16/2012 9:59 PM, Richard Ruquist wrote: On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 12:44 AM, meekerdbmeeke...@verizon.net wrote: On 12/16/2012 8:57 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote: Hi Richard, I believe in the one god of CTM and its (X Z) logically derived string theory that is omnipotent (contains and carries