Re: Scientific journals

2013-04-20 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 19 Apr 2013, at 17:47, Craig Weinberg wrote: On Friday, April 19, 2013 9:49:35 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote: On 18 Apr 2013, at 14:01, Craig Weinberg wrote: On Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:42:21 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote: On 17 Apr 2013, at 19:09, John Clark wrote: On Wed, Apr

Re: Why do particles decay randomly?

2013-04-20 Thread Bruno Marchal
Hi John, On 19 Apr 2013, at 17:59, John Mikes wrote: Craig - John - this is to the hard-to-identify last part of your combined and mixed post signed by John K C. about the 'consciousness' (C) part. I know that intelligence is a requirement of consciousness, just identify intelligence

Re: Why do particles decay randomly?

2013-04-20 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 19 Apr 2013, at 19:08, John Clark wrote: On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 9:59 AM, Bruno Marchal marc...@ulb.ac.be wrot A deterministic reality We don't know that reality is deterministic and in fact right now the overwhelming evidence very strongly suggests that it is not. Everett restores

Re: Moslem peace march ?

2013-04-20 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 19 Apr 2013, at 20:36, smi...@zonnet.nl wrote: Citeren John Clark johnkcl...@gmail.com: On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Roger Clough rclo...@verizon.net wrote:\ After the Boston bombings, what I'd like to see is a Moslem Peace March. A tbhousand man moslem peace march. I would

Re: Why do particles decay randomly?

2013-04-20 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 19 Apr 2013, at 19:52, Craig Weinberg wrote: On Friday, April 19, 2013 9:59:34 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote: On 18 Apr 2013, at 22:05, Craig Weinberg wrote: On Thursday, April 18, 2013 1:29:29 PM UTC-4, Brent wrote: On 4/18/2013 8:15 AM, John Clark wrote: On Wed, Apr 17, 2013

Re: Moslem peace march ?

2013-04-20 Thread Alberto G. Corona
That is absolutely wrong, and it is a religious statement of a devote atheist According with the traditional Doxatic definition of religion, Weinberg is a non religious person that say that the Russian, chinesse Marxists, for example, were all people born perverse by nature, suppossedly by means

Re: Moslem peace march ?

2013-04-20 Thread Alberto G. Corona
Agnosticism IMHO is another belief that is genuinely modern, with Atheism. Both are escapes from reality. The atheist denies God not for God itself, but for what implies a creation and an order. In denying God, the atheist is denying the current order of things. It is absurd to spend time denying

Re: Hard Problem not hard at all?

2013-04-20 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 20 Apr 2013, at 02:31, John Clark wrote: The reason nobody has a answer to the hard problem is that nobody has clearly explained exactly what the problem is or what the answer is expected to do. The hard problem is only the antic mind-body problem, and what you say is that you

Re: Hard Problem not hard at all?

2013-04-20 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 20 Apr 2013, at 05:26, meekerdb wrote: On 4/19/2013 5:31 PM, John Clark wrote: The reason nobody has a answer to the hard problem is that nobody has clearly explained exactly what the problem is or what the answer is expected to do. I'm not so sure of the problem, but I'm pretty

Re: Improving The Hard Problem

2013-04-20 Thread Craig Weinberg
On Friday, April 19, 2013 11:46:25 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote: On 19 Apr 2013, at 13:56, Craig Weinberg wrote: Qualia are generated, With comp the qualia are not generated. They are arithmetical truth seen from some point of view. They cannot even been defined, but it can be shown

Re: Why do particles decay randomly?

2013-04-20 Thread Craig Weinberg
On Saturday, April 20, 2013 4:15:17 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote: On 19 Apr 2013, at 19:52, Craig Weinberg wrote: On Friday, April 19, 2013 9:59:34 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote: On 18 Apr 2013, at 22:05, Craig Weinberg wrote: On Thursday, April 18, 2013 1:29:29 PM UTC-4, Brent

Re: Hard Problem not hard at all?

2013-04-20 Thread Craig Weinberg
On Saturday, April 20, 2013 5:18:01 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote: On 20 Apr 2013, at 02:31, John Clark wrote: The reason nobody has a answer to the hard problem is that nobody has clearly explained exactly what the problem is or what the answer is expected to do. The hard problem

Re: Improving The Hard Problem

2013-04-20 Thread Craig Weinberg
On Saturday, April 20, 2013 4:34:15 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote: On 19 Apr 2013, at 22:39, Terren Suydam wrote: On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Craig Weinberg whats...@gmail.comjavascript: wrote: On Friday, April 19, 2013 11:49:17 AM UTC-4, Terren Suydam wrote: On Fri, Apr

Re: Scientific journals

2013-04-20 Thread Craig Weinberg
On Saturday, April 20, 2013 3:46:49 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote: On 19 Apr 2013, at 17:47, Craig Weinberg wrote: On Friday, April 19, 2013 9:49:35 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote: On 18 Apr 2013, at 14:01, Craig Weinberg wrote: On Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:42:21 AM UTC-4, Bruno

Re: Moslem peace march ?

2013-04-20 Thread meekerdb
On 4/20/2013 1:34 AM, Alberto G. Corona wrote: That is absolutely wrong, and it is a religious statement of a devote atheist According with the traditional Doxatic definition of religion, Weinberg is a non religious person that say that the Russian, chinesse Marxists, for example, were all

Re: Moslem peace march ?

2013-04-20 Thread meekerdb
On 4/20/2013 1:55 AM, Alberto G. Corona wrote: Agnosticism IMHO is another belief that is genuinely modern, with Atheism. Both are escapes from reality. The atheist denies God not for God itself, but for what implies a creation and an order. In denying God, the atheist is denying the current

Re: Hard Problem not hard at all?

2013-04-20 Thread meekerdb
On 4/20/2013 2:20 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote: On 20 Apr 2013, at 05:26, meekerdb wrote: On 4/19/2013 5:31 PM, John Clark wrote: The reason nobody has a answer to the hard problem is that nobody has clearly explained exactly what the problem is or what the answer is expected to do. I'm not

Re: Why do particles decay randomly?

2013-04-20 Thread John Clark
On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 Bruno Marchal marc...@ulb.ac.be wrote: We don't know that reality is deterministic and in fact right now the overwhelming evidence very strongly suggests that it is not. Everett restores determinacy in physics. Yes, but although I like Everett I don't know for a

Re: Moslem peace march ?

2013-04-20 Thread John Clark
On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 4:05 AM, Bruno Marchal marc...@ulb.ac.be wrote: Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. That's a very nice

Re: Scientific journals

2013-04-20 Thread Platonist Guitar Cowboy
On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Craig Weinberg whatsons...@gmail.comwrote: On Saturday, April 20, 2013 3:46:49 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote: On 19 Apr 2013, at 17:47, Craig Weinberg wrote: On Friday, April 19, 2013 9:49:35 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote: On 18 Apr 2013, at 14:01,

Re: Hard Problem not hard at all?

2013-04-20 Thread John Clark
On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 5:18 AM, Bruno Marchal marc...@ulb.ac.be wrote: The reason nobody has a answer to the hard problem is that nobody has clearly explained exactly what the problem is or what the answer is expected to do. The hard problem is only the antic mind-body problem, and what

Re: Hard Problem not hard at all?

2013-04-20 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 20 Apr 2013, at 17:56, meekerdb wrote: On 4/20/2013 2:20 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote: On 20 Apr 2013, at 05:26, meekerdb wrote: On 4/19/2013 5:31 PM, John Clark wrote: The reason nobody has a answer to the hard problem is that nobody has clearly explained exactly what the problem is or

Re: Why do particles decay randomly?

2013-04-20 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 20 Apr 2013, at 18:43, John Clark wrote: On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 Bruno Marchal marc...@ulb.ac.be wrote: We don't know that reality is deterministic and in fact right now the overwhelming evidence very strongly suggests that it is not. Everett restores determinacy in physics. Yes, but

Re: Moslem peace march ?

2013-04-20 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 20 Apr 2013, at 19:12, John Clark wrote: On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 4:05 AM, Bruno Marchal marc...@ulb.ac.be wrote: Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil

The Uses of a Screwdriver Cannot be Listed Algorithmically

2013-04-20 Thread Evgenii Rudnyi
I am reading now Beyond Mechanism: Putting Life back into Biology. In Foreword: Evolution beyond Newton, Darwin, and Entailing Law, Stuart A. Kauffman writes: p. 9 Here is the first 'strange' step. Can you name all the uses of a screwdriver, alone, or with other objects or process? Well,

Re: Hard Problem not hard at all?

2013-04-20 Thread John Mikes
Brent and Bruno: *Brent* I love you for your scientific self-consciousness: *I'm not so sure of the problem, but I'm pretty sure of the solution.* That's the 'end' of all. Religions like it. Here is what I see as the (hard problem) problem: people like to think in the mind-body restriction, as

Re: Hard Problem not hard at all?

2013-04-20 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 20 Apr 2013, at 19:49, John Clark wrote: On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 5:18 AM, Bruno Marchal marc...@ulb.ac.be wrote: The reason nobody has a answer to the hard problem is that nobody has clearly explained exactly what the problem is or what the answer is expected to do. The hard

Re: The Uses of a Screwdriver Cannot be Listed Algorithmically

2013-04-20 Thread John Mikes
Evgeniy: although I had my disagreements with Stuart dating back to prior to the 1997 Nashua Conference, I have to agree here. Turing was a great mind, his ideas leading to our (embryonic, binary) computing machine are great, it is not the ultimate word. I wonder how much Bruno's (Loeb's)

Re: Scientific journals

2013-04-20 Thread Bruno Marchal
On 20 Apr 2013, at 19:15, Platonist Guitar Cowboy wrote: On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Craig Weinberg whatsons...@gmail.com wrote: On Saturday, April 20, 2013 3:46:49 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote: On 19 Apr 2013, at 17:47, Craig Weinberg wrote: On Friday, April 19, 2013

Re: Moslem peace march ?

2013-04-20 Thread meekerdb
On 4/20/2013 12:16 PM, Bruno Marchal wrote: Then a majority of atheist believes in Matter. That has been introduced as an hypothesis by Aristotle (although he appears to be unclear in some passage), I don't know why you keep attributing the belief in matter to Aristotle? First, belief in

Re: Hard Problem not hard at all?

2013-04-20 Thread Craig Weinberg
On Saturday, April 20, 2013 2:51:23 PM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote: On 20 Apr 2013, at 17:56, meekerdb wrote: On 4/20/2013 2:20 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote: On 20 Apr 2013, at 05:26, meekerdb wrote: On 4/19/2013 5:31 PM, John Clark wrote: The reason nobody has a answer to the

Re: Scientific journals

2013-04-20 Thread Craig Weinberg
On Saturday, April 20, 2013 1:15:02 PM UTC-4, Platonist Guitar Cowboy wrote: On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 3:28 PM, Craig Weinberg whats...@gmail.comjavascript: wrote: On Saturday, April 20, 2013 3:46:49 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote: On 19 Apr 2013, at 17:47, Craig Weinberg wrote:

Re: Why do particles decay randomly?

2013-04-20 Thread Telmo Menezes
On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM, John Clark johnkcl...@gmail.com wrote: On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 5:31 PM, Telmo Menezes te...@telmomenezes.com wrote: You may be pedantic about the use of anthropomorphic language but I am not. It can become distracting / misleading in deeper discussions

Re: Why do particles decay randomly?

2013-04-20 Thread Russell Standish
On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 02:09:28PM -0400, John Clark wrote: No because in a sexually reproducing animal the genes that make the error correcting machinery are inherited independently of the very genes that they have corrected, and the vast majority of mutations are detrimental not helpful. So