Measure Increases or Decreases? - Was adult vs. child

2009-02-11 Thread George Levy
Hi Jack Nice to see you again. The assumption that measure decreases continuously has been accepted too easily. This is, however, really the crux of the discussion. One could argue that measure actually increases continuously and corresponds to the increase in entropy occurring in everyday

Re: Measure Increases or Decreases? - Was adult vs. child

2009-02-11 Thread George Levy
is new to the list. I have also been overwhelmed by the volume on this list. The idea is not to take more than you can chew. --- On Wed, 2/11/09, George Levy gl...@quantics.net wrote: One could argue that measure actually increases continuously and corresponds to the increase in entropy

Re: language, cloning and thought experiments

2009-03-10 Thread George Levy
Jack, You say Q_i (which is _your_ utility per unit measure for the observer i). This is an oxymoron. How can observer i know or care what YOUR Q (Quality) is? How can this observer feel what it feels being you?. The only observer that matters in evaluating your Q is you as a self-observer.

Re: Changing the past by forgetting

2009-03-15 Thread George Levy
I agree with Anna. In addition, it all depends on where you define the boundary of the self. Just the brain? Brain + body? Brain + body + immediate surrounding (prescription glasses being worn, automobile being driven, binoculars or computer being used) ? Brain + body + Whole causally

Re: Changing the past by forgetting

2009-03-15 Thread George Levy
I agree with Anna. In addition, it all depends on where you define the boundary of the self. Just the brain? Brain + body? Brain + body + immediate surrounding (prescription glasses being worn, automobile being driven, binoculars or computer being used) ? Brain + body + Whole causally

Re: Consciousness is information?

2009-05-18 Thread George Levy
Kelly Harmon wrote: What if you used a lookup table for only a single neuron in a computer simulation of a brain? Hi Kelly Zombie arguments involving look up tables are faulty because look up tables are not closed systems. They require someone to fill them up. To resolve these arguments

Re: The seven step-Mathematical preliminaries

2009-06-09 Thread George Levy
A good model of the naturalist math that Torgny is talking about is the overflow mechanism in computers. For example in a 64 bit machine you may define overflow for positive integers as 2^^64 -1. If negative integers are included then the biggest positive could be 2^^32-1. Torgny would also

Re: Kabbalah and the Multiverse

2010-06-17 Thread George Levy
Hi Rabbi Rabbit. Welcome I haven't contributed to this list for a while but I have been reading it. Here is a possible connection between the Kabbalah and the Multiverse, which I will describe in a bulleted fashion for brevity. The initial chaos, Tohu va Bohu, (from which the French word

Re: Kabbalah and the Multiverse

2010-06-19 Thread George Levy
Dear Rabbi Rabbi Rabbit wrote: What is surprising about Abulafia is that he did not reach this state by suppressing his conscious mind, as most mystics do by repetition of a single formula/mantra, but by overstimulating it with letter combinations accompanied by body motions. Too much

Re: Kabbalah and the Multiverse

2010-06-19 Thread George Levy
Hi John Thanks for your appreciation. John Mikes wrote: Dear George, I was missing more of your contributions on this list lately (years?). Let me reflect to a few of your topics: *Chaos.* A decade or so ago I was named 'resident chaotician' on another list - later changed my mind when I

Re: Maudlin's Demon (Argument)

2006-10-08 Thread George Levy
Bruno, Finally I read your filmed graph argument which I have stored in my computer. (The original at the Iridia web site http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/bxlthesis/Volume3CC/3%20%202%20.pdf is not accessible anymore. I am not sure why.) In page TROIS -61 you describe an experience of

Re: Maudlin's Demon (Argument)

2006-10-09 Thread George Levy
Bruno Marchal wrote: Le 08-oct.-06, 08:00, George Levy a crit : Bruno, Finally I read your filmed graph argument which I have stored in my computer. (The original at the Iridia web site http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/bxlthesis/Volume3CC/3%20%202%20.pdf is not accessible

Re: Maudlin's Demon (Argument)

2006-10-10 Thread George Levy
Bruno Marchal wrote: Le 09-oct.-06, 21:54, George Levy a crit : To observe a split consciousness, you need an observer who is also split, ? This is simple. The time/space/substrate/level of the observer must match the time/space/substrate/level of what he observes

Re: Hypostases (was: Natural Order Belief)

2006-12-09 Thread George Levy
Brent meeker writes: It could be argued that not even God could create a world in which there are no accidents, conflicts of interest, disappointments, and so on, at least not without severely limiting his creatures' freedom. However, it would have been possible for God to limit the

Re: Maudlin's Demon (Argument)

2007-10-02 Thread George Levy
saying that I have to answer it, but apparently I didn't. So here is the answer, with a delay of about one year :( Le 08-oct.-06, à 08:00, George Levy wrote : Finally I read your filmed graph argument which I have stored in my computer. (The original at the Iridia web site http

Re: Maudlin's Demon (Argument)

2007-10-03 Thread George Levy
Oops: replace Newton's demon by Maxwell's demon. George George Levy wrote: Hi Bruno, Yes I am still on the list, barely trying to keep up, but I have been very busy. Actually the ball was in my court and I was supposed to answer to your last post to me about a year ago!!!. Generally I

Re: Maudlin's Demon (Argument)

2007-10-08 Thread George Levy
) (see below) is quite relevant sure, Bruno Le 08-oct.-07, à 05:10, George Levy a écrit : Bruno Marchal wrote: I think that Maudlin refers to the conjunction of the comp hyp and supervenience, where consciousness is supposed to be linked (most of the time in a sort of real-time way

Re: OM measure and universe size

2007-11-02 Thread George Levy
ve trouble relating these facts to your equation H = C + S or maybe to the differential version dH = dC + dS. What do you think? Can we push this further? George Russell Standish wrote: On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 05:11:01PM -0700, George Levy wrote: Could we relate the expansion of th

Re: OM measure and universe size

2007-11-05 Thread George Levy
Sorry the nice equation formats did not make it past the server. Anyone interested in the equations can find them at the associated wiki links. George Russell Standish wrote: On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 12:20:35PM -0700, George Levy wrote: Russel, We are trying to related the expansion

Theory of Everything based on E8 by Garrett Lisi

2007-11-21 Thread George Levy
A theory of everyting is sweeping the Physics community. The theory by Garrett Lisi is explained in this Wiki entry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Exceptionally_Simple_Theory_of_Everything A simulation of E8 can be found a the New Scientist.

Re: Are First Person prime?

2007-11-22 Thread George Levy
Hi Bruno, I am reopening an old thread ( more than a year old) which I found very intriguing. It leads to some startling conclusions. Le 05-août-06, à 02:07, George Levy a écrit : Bruno Marchal wrote:I think that if you want to make the first person primitive, given that neither you nor

Re: Are First Person prime?

2007-11-22 Thread George Levy
One more question: can or should p be the observer? George George Levy wrote: Hi Bruno, I am reopening an old thread ( more than a year old) which I found very intriguing. It leads to some startling conclusions. Le 05-août-06, à 02:07, George Levy a écrit : Bruno Marchal wrote:I think

Re: Are First Person prime?

2007-11-24 Thread George Levy
. I guess there may be cases where multiple machines can have access to the dame data. Same with statement 4 George Bruno Marchal wrote: Le 22-nov.-07, à 20:50, George Levy a écrit : Hi Bruno, I am reopening an old thread ( more than a year old) which I found very

Re: Are First Person prime?

2007-11-26 Thread George Levy
that what I am explaining now does not depend on those possible relations (between truth and reality). Bruno Le 24-nov.-07, à 21:23, George Levy a écrit : Bruno thank you for this elaborate reply. I would like these three statements to make use of cybernetic language

Re: dark energy

2008-01-16 Thread George Levy
Hi Hal, This topic interests me, but I find it difficult to go past the second sentence in your post. The phrase Something is on a quest carries a lot of baggage, in particular that Something has intention, purpose and motivation. Either we have to assume that this intention is produced by a

Re: dark energy

2008-01-16 Thread George Levy
Hal, I cannot follow you: one the one hand you say: Something if incomplete will have to increase its completeness to answer meaningful questions which implies volition and therefore spirit; and on the other hand you say: There is no intent to imply some sort of choice on the part of the

Re: dark energy

2008-01-16 Thread George Levy
Hal Ruhl wrote: This is an automatic process like a mass has to answer to the forces [meaningful questions] applied to it. What in the psyche of the mass makes it answer to the forces? George --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are

Re: dark energy

2008-01-17 Thread George Levy
Hal, Allright. You are saying that incompleteness is the (only) motivator of the members. In other words the members feel motivated by incompleteness. They do have the feeling of being incomplete that motivates their behavior. Is this correct? George Hal Ruhl wrote: Hi George: I see no

Re: dark energy

2008-01-19 Thread George Levy
Hal Ok, there is no feeling but there is motivation. There is no feeling of motivation and there is motivation without feeling. This is totally alien or the English language is broken. George Hal Ruhl wrote: Hi George: I see no feeling of anything in a Something. There is only an

Re: RE : Re: Discussion of the MUH

2008-03-08 Thread George Levy
Hi Brian As Russell said, we have been discussing this topic for at least a decade. We all respect each other. I am sure that Bruno did not mean harm when he made his comment. You bring up an interesting question: the relationship between Fuzzy logic and the MUH and you state that Fuzzy

Re: Probability

2008-11-06 Thread George Levy
This last example illustrates how three different observers can see three different probabilities. George Levy --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send

Re: objections to QTI

2005-06-01 Thread George Levy
should be great. I'll give you a call. I can't wait to hear how much royalties you are going to collect from this theory of everything. ;-) . George John Ross wrote: Is this the George Levy I know? If so, I did not know you were interested in theories of everything. If it is you, and you

Re-Observer-Moment Measure from Universe Measure

2005-06-13 Thread George Levy
Bruno Marchal wrote: Godel's theorem: ~Bf - ~B(~Bf), which is equivalent to B(Bf - f) - Bf, Just a little aside a la Descartes + Godel: (assume that think and believe are synonymous and that f = you are) B(Bf - f) - Bf can be

Re: copy method important?

2005-06-18 Thread George Levy
and Moscow and is not restricted by the Quantum Non-Cloning Theorem. Psychological indeterminacy also raises the question of how different should I be until I become someone else. How big am I? George Levy

What is an observer moment?

2005-06-20 Thread George Levy
hysical OMs are indistinguishable, the measure cannot be increased by increasing the number of physical OMs. An interesting thought is that a psychological first person can surf simultaneously through a large number of physical OMs. George Levy

Re: What is an observer moment?

2005-06-22 Thread George Levy
Bruno Marchal wrote: Le 21-juin-05, 05:33, George Levy a crit : Note that according to this definition the set of observer states may also encompass states with inconsistent histories as long as they are indistinguishable. The possibilities of observer moment being partially

Re: One more question about measure

2005-06-22 Thread George Levy
re of an old and sick man is not greater or smaller than that of a healthy baby that he observes. Some of the other threads in this list (i.e., another puzzle described by Stathis) discuss experiments in which observers are copied and destroyed. Answers to these questions depend on which two points are sele

Re: where do copies come from?

2005-07-06 Thread George Levy
Stathis Papaioannou wrote: You would also need to know the electrical potential at every point of every cell membrane; the ionic gradients (Na, K, Ca, pH and others) across every cell membrane, including intracellular membranes; the type, position and conformation of every receptor, ion

Re: where do copies come from?

2005-07-08 Thread George Levy
Stathis Papaioannou wrote: Recent theory based on the work of Eric Kandel is that long term memory is mediated by new protein synthesis in synapses, which modulates the responsiveness of the synapse to neurotransmitter release; that is, it isn't just the "wiring diagram" that characterises a

Re: where do copies come from?

2005-07-11 Thread George Levy
Stathis Papaioannou wrote: The ionic gradients across cell membranes determine the transmembrane potential and how close the neuron is to the voltage threshold which will trigger an action potential by opening transmembrane ion channels. Other factors influencing this include the exact

Re: The Time Deniers and the idea of time as a dimension

2005-07-21 Thread George Levy
Hal Finney wrote: Physicist Max Tegmark has an interesting discussion on the physics of a universe with more than one time dimension at http://space.mit.edu/home/tegmark/dimensions.html , specifically http://space.mit.edu/home/tegmark/dimensions.pdf . Wouldn't it be true that in the

Re: subjective reality

2005-08-10 Thread George Levy
iffer from George Levy (OK George?), although I could make sense of it. The point is, and Dennett agrees on this, that, in cognitive *science*, we need to develop some third person discourse on the first person discourses. OK, strictly speaking the quantum and physical discourses appears at some fi

Re: subjective reality

2005-08-11 Thread George Levy
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: I also have some trouble with the idea that we "share an I", as you put it, as I don't know to what extent I do share mine with anyone! My notion is, instead, that the "I" is exactly what we DO NOT SHARE, what makes us different, while Reality is all the rest:

Re: subjective reality

2005-08-12 Thread George Levy
Hi Godfrey, Bruno The "I" that I consider consists of a logical system that defines and coincides with the physical system that the "I" inhabits. Thus the world (the slice of the plenitude that we can observe) is anthropically constrained by the "I." [GK] So the "I" is (1) a logical system

Re: ROSS MODEL OF THE UNIVERSE - The Simplest Yet Theory of Everything

2005-10-05 Thread George Levy
are different. If negative matter/energy could exist they would give space a negative curvature. Negative matter/energy may be identical to dark energy. George Levy

Re: ROSS MODEL OF THE UNIVERSE - The Simplest Yet Theory of Everything

2005-10-06 Thread George Levy
ancel long range gravitational force (possibly what we are seeing with the Pioneer spacecrafts?) George Levy

Re: Let There Be Something

2005-10-28 Thread George Levy
Hal Finney wrote: Anthropic reasoning is only explanatory if you assume the actual existence of an ensemble of universes, as multiverse models do. The multiverse therefore elevates anthropic reasoning from something of a tautology, a form of circular reasoning, up to an actual explanatory

The Plenitude

2005-11-02 Thread George Levy
From the thread Re: ROSS MODEL OF THE UNIVERSE - The Simplest Yet Theory of Everything Bruno Marchal wrote: Le 22-oct.-05, à 04:50, George Levy a écrit : The 3-plenitude is equivalent with the computationnal states accessed by the UD. It is also equivalent with the (finite and infinite

Re: Let There Be Something

2005-11-04 Thread George Levy
I conjecture that if one can design physical laws for a universe capable of 1) supporting the NAND function 2) storing (locally) 1 bit, 3) transmitting 1 bit from one point to another point, then one could also generate a Turing machine in this universe which would then be capable of

Goldilock world

2005-11-17 Thread George Levy
Along the line of Jorge Luis Borges a blackboard covered in chalk contains the library of Babel (everything) but no information. Similarly a white board covered with ink also contains no information. Interestingly, information is minimized or actually goes to zero when the world is too large

Re: Goldilocks world

2005-11-22 Thread George Levy
Kim Jones wrote: can God in her omniscient, omnipotent wisdom create a rock that is so heavy even God herself cannot lift it? ;-) Kim Jones Along these lines I found a way to resolve the theist and the atheist viewpoints: It is simply to assert that god is so big and powerful

Re: Quantum Immortality and Information Flow

2005-11-26 Thread George Levy
Stathis Papaioannou wrote: Stathis Papaioannou writes: If on the basis of a coin toss the world splits, and in one branch I am instantaneously killed while in the other I continue living, there are several possible ways this might be interpreted from the 1st person viewpoint: (a) Pr(I

Re: Quantum Immortality and Information Flow

2005-11-26 Thread George Levy
Please disregard previous post. The b and c cases were inverted. Stathis Papaioannou wrote: Stathis Papaioannou writes: If on the basis of a coin toss the world splits, and in one branch I am instantaneously killed while in the other I continue living, there are several possible ways this

Re: Quantum Immortality and Information Flow

2005-12-02 Thread George Levy
Saibal Mitra wrote: Correction, I seem to have misunderstood Statis' set up. If you really create a new world and then create and kill the person there then the probability of survival is 1. This is different from quantum mechanical branch splitting. To see this, consider first what would

Re: Quantum Immortality and Information Flow

2005-12-08 Thread George Levy
Bruno Marchal wrote: Le 05-dc.-05, 02:46, Saibal Mitra a crit : I still think that if you double everything and then annihilate only the doubled person, the probability will be 1. Actually I agree with this. So far we have been talking about

Re: Quantum Immortality and Information Flow

2005-12-09 Thread George Levy
ar that if you consider the problem from the information angle, then duplication of information does not increase the measure of that information. This would support the relative interpretation of measure. George Quentin Le Jeudi 8 Décembre 2005 22:21, George Levy a écrit :

Re: Quantum Immortality and Information Flow

2005-12-12 Thread George Levy
Stathis Papaioannou wrote: In addition to the above arguments, consider the problem from the point of view of the subject. If multiple copies of a person are created and run in parallel for a period, what difference does this make to his experience? It seems to me that there is no test or

Re: Quantum Immortality and Information Flow

2005-12-13 Thread George Levy
Bruno Marchal wrote: we are conscious only because we belong to a continuum of infinite never ending stories ... ...that's what the lobian machine's guardian angel G* says about that: true and strictly unbelievable. Bruno Since you agree that the number of histories is on a continuum, you

Re: Quantum Immortality and Information Flow

2005-12-13 Thread George Levy
Jesse Mazer wrote: George Levy: Bruno Marchal wrote: we are conscious only because we belong to a continuum of infinite never ending stories ... ...that's what the lobian machine's guardian angel G* says about that: true and strictly unbelievable. Bruno Since you agree that the number

Re: Quantum Immortality and Information Flow

2005-12-13 Thread George Levy
Jesse Mazer wrote: George Levy wrote: Jesse Mazer wrote: George Levy: Bruno Marchal wrote: we are conscious only because we belong to a continuum of infinite never ending stories ... ...that's what the lobian machine's guardian angel G* says about that: true and strictly

Re: Quantum Immortality and Information Flow

2005-12-16 Thread George Levy
Le 14-déc.-05, à 01:34, Stathis Papaioannou a écrit : In the multiverse, only other people end up in dead ends. Although from a third person perspective every entity in the multiverse could be said to exist only transiently because at every point of an entity's history we can say that there

Re: Paper+Exercises+Naming Issue

2005-12-23 Thread George Levy
Bruno I don't think either "machine psychology" or "machine theology" work because of the baggage those field already carry. In any case the attribute "machine" sends the wrong picture. And as you have pointed out the terms "computer science" and "number theory" do not capture the real issue

Re: Paper+Exercises+Naming Issue

2005-12-25 Thread George Levy
Bruno, John and Stephen More on naming: I think the name should include the following concepts 1) modal or relativistic or relative formulation or first person, 2) quantum or quantics, 3) psycho or psyche or consciousness or ego, 4) mechanics or theory. So, picking one term from each row we

Re: Paper+Exercises+Naming Issue

2005-12-26 Thread George Levy
Naming this field is difficult. This is why I made several suggestions none of which I thought were excellent. Bruno Marchal wrote: I don't think it is a question of vocabulary, It is only a question of vocabulary if you intend to communicate with other people. And this is where the

Re: Lobian Machine

2005-12-29 Thread George Levy
Bruno Marchal wrote: Godel's result, known as Godel's second incompleteness theorem, is that no consistent machine can prove its own consistency: IF M is consistent then M cannot prove its consistency Bruno, After I read your email, we had a gathering of family and friends,

Re: Lobian Machine

2006-01-01 Thread George Levy
crazy and leave me alone. :-) I bet you never had to deal with patients as wily as me. Aye, there is method in my madness! :-P George Stathis Papaioannou wrote: George Levy writes: Bruno Marchal wrote: Godel's result, known as Godel's second incompleteness theorem

Unprovable Physical Truths and Unwinnable Arguments

2006-03-05 Thread George Levy
There is a great article entitled "The Limts of Reason" by Gregory Chaitin in the March Issue of Scientific American page 74. I quote: "So perhaps mathematicians should not try to prove everything. Sometimes they should try to add new axioms. That is what you have got to do when you are faced

Re: Why is there something rather than nothing?

2006-03-05 Thread George Levy
Norman Samish wrote: Why is there something rather than nothing? When I heard that Famous Question, I did not assume that nothing was describable - because, if it was, it would not be nothing. I don't think of nothing as an empty bitstring - I think of it as the absence of a bitstring - as

Re: Numbers

2006-03-18 Thread George Levy
lusion of reality at our level of implementation/illusion. George Levy --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com To uns

Smullyan Shmullyan, give me a real example

2006-03-24 Thread George Levy
assuming the many-world, and 3) G/G* logic assuming the many-world. What would the white knight do if he were living in the many-world? What kind of situations would highlight his talent to think in G. Would his behavior appear to be paradoxical from our logical point of view? George Levy

Re: Smullyan Shmullyan, give me a real example

2006-03-26 Thread George Levy
Bruno Marchal wrote: <> Le 25-mars-06, 00:51, George Levy a crit : Smullyan's white knigth had the mission to teach me about the logic of G and G*. Sorry, he failed. All right, but this is just because he miss Church Thesis and Comp. His purpose actually is just to introdu

Re: The Riemann Zeta Pythagorean TOE

2006-04-13 Thread George Levy
d person is a single history and corresponds to "I" AND the bomb goes off/probability{bomb goes off}. Plural person is multiple histories regarding the bomb, and corresponds to "I" AND ("the bomb goes off" inclusive OR "the bomb does not go off".) = &qu

The Riemann Zeta - Trouble opening posts

2006-04-20 Thread George Levy
I have had trouble opening The Riemann Zeta Pythagorean TOE posts. As soon as I open the post my mail software (in Netscape) closes. I think there is an invisible character or command associated with the subject line, that forces the software to close. I have also experienced the same effect

Re: Smullyan Shmullyan, give me a real example

2006-05-10 Thread George Levy
Bruno, Thank you for still working on my post. I am working on the reply, in particular designing the set of function or number that can be diagonalized to generate a large number. I shall be busy this weekend with family matters but I will reply to you in detail. I agree that the idea of

Re: Smullyan Shmullyan, give me a real example

2006-05-19 Thread George Levy
Bruno Marchal wrote: Now I think I should train you with diagonalization. I give you an exercise: write a program which, if executed, will stop on the biggest possible natural number. Fairy tale version: you meet a fairy who propose you a wish. You ask to be immortal but the fairy

Re: Smullyan Shmullyan, give me a real example

2006-05-22 Thread George Levy
One can create faster and faster rising functions and larger and larger number until one is blue in the face. The point is that no matter how large a finite number n one defines, I can stand on the shoulder of giants and do better by citing n+1 using simple addition. Now if somehow one came

Re: Ascension (was Re: Smullyan Shmullyan, give me a real example)

2006-05-30 Thread George Levy
Bruno Marchal wrote: Meanwhile, I would like to ask George and the others if they have a good understanding of the present thread, that is on the fact that growing functions has been well defined, that each sequence of such functions are well defined, and each diagonalisation defines quite

Re: Reasons and Persons

2006-05-31 Thread George Levy
Russell Standish wrote: This would imply that there exist "islands" of indentity, and having limited awareness in time and multispace, we can only ever be aware of one instance from each island, but that might change with technology. BTW another analogy is the islands of geneflow within

Re: *THE* PUZZLE (was: ascension, Smullyan, ...)

2006-06-11 Thread George Levy
I went on a 10 day trip during which I had no access to email... a lot has happened on this list since then. Bruno Marchal wrote: And fortran programs are fortran generable, so I can generate a sequence of all fortran one-variable program F1 F2 F3 F4 F5 F6 F7 F8 (all means that soon or

Re: *THE* PUZZLE (was: ascension, Smullyan, ...)

2006-06-12 Thread George Levy
Bruno Marchal wrote: Proceeding that way you will run into trouble. But it is very easy to find the k. Let us be specific and let us imagine you have already written in Fortran a generator of all programs of the one-variable partial computable functions: F1 F2 F3 F4 F5 F6 F7 ... The list of

Re: Only Existence is necessary?

2006-06-21 Thread George Levy
Hi Stephen Stephen Paul King wrote: Dear Quentin et al, I keep reading this claim that only the existence of the algorithm itself is necessary and I am still mystified as to how it is reasoned for mere existence of a representation of a process, such as an implementation in terms of

Re: Only Existence is necessary?

2006-06-21 Thread George Levy
Hi Lee, Lee Corbin wrote: George writes Is the world fundamentally physical or can it be reduced to ideas? This is an interesting issue. If a TOE exists then it would have to explain the physics and the objects. This reminds me of the Ether controversy. Is there a need for

Re: Only Existence is necessary?

2006-06-22 Thread George Levy
Hi Stephen Stephen Paul King wrote: Since information is observer-dependent (Shannon) this issue brings us back to the observer. I think that eventually all observables will have to be traced back to the observer who is in fact at the nexus of the mind-body problem. [SPK]

Re: A calculus of personal identity

2006-06-22 Thread George Levy
Lee Corbin wrote: I find that the 1st person accounts to be pretty subjective, actually. They also lead to inconsistencies and unnecessary differences of opinion. Interestingly the geocentric Aristotelian system was replaced by the heliocentric Copernican system. Then Relativity and Quantum

Re: A calculus of personal identity

2006-06-24 Thread George Levy
Bruno Marchal wrote: Le 23-juin-06, 07:29, George Levy a crit : In Bruno's calculus what are the invariances? (Comment on Tom Caylor's post) Logicians, traditionally, are interested in deduction invariant with respect of the interpretation. A typical piece

Re: Number and function for non-mathematician

2006-07-05 Thread George Levy
Bruno Marchal wrote: Hi Norman, Le 20-juin-06, 04:04, Norman Samish a crit : I've endured this thread long enough! Let's get back to something I can understand! My background is more engineering and physics than mathematics and I do share some of Norman misgivings.

Symmetry, Invarance and Conservation (Was Number and function for non-mathematician)

2006-07-06 Thread George Levy
eeds no medium!" Marshall McLuhan got it all wrong! :-) George Levy Bruno Marchal wrote: Le 05-juil.-06, 20:36, George Levy a crit : My background is more engineering and physics than mathematics and I do share some of Norman misgivings. Some of it has to do with terminolo

Re: Symmetry, Invarance and Conservation

2006-07-07 Thread George Levy
ness problem under the quantum carpet. We must first get a good understanding of self referential systems, classical or quantum. Bruno seems to be on the right track but I think we are still waiting for the linkage between diagonalization and self referentiality and consciousness... (forgive me

Re: Only Existence is necessary?

2006-07-07 Thread George Levy
is important to avoid confusion. George Levy --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List group. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com To unsubscribe from this group

Re: Only Existence is necessary?

2006-07-09 Thread George Levy
Stephen Paul King wrote: little discussion has been given to the implications of taking the 1st person aspect as primary or fundamental. Could you point me toward any that you have seen? Hi Stephen Alas, I am a mere engineer, not a philosopher. The only author I can point you to is John

Re: Theory of Nothing available

2006-07-14 Thread George Levy
Russell Congratulation on your book. I intend to buy the hard copy. I can't wait to read it! George Russell Standish wrote: I'm pleased to announce that my book Theory of Nothing is now for sale through Booksurge and Amazon.com. If you go to the Booksurge website (http://www.booksurge.com,

Re: K the Master Set (+ partial answer to Tom's Diagonalization)

2006-07-18 Thread George Levy
Hi Bruno Each one of us like to do what we do best and we apply our preferred techniques to the problem at hand. Thus a mechanic may solve the pollution problem by building electric cars, and the cook may solve the same problem by preparing vegetarian meals. As a mathematician you are trying

Re: Are First Person prime?

2006-08-04 Thread George Levy
ntails q" reminds me vaguely of the Anthropic principle. I am not sure what to make of this. My children think???) George Levy --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Everything List

Re: Are First Person prime?

2006-08-06 Thread George Levy
Bruno Marchal wrote: Would it be possible to map your three axiomatic lines replacing "knowable" by "think" and "true" by "exist." ... See my conversation with 1Z (Peter D. Jones). I will define "exist" by " "exist" is true". Then we have: 1 If p thinks then p exists;

Re: Are First Person prime?

2006-08-07 Thread George Levy
1Z wrote: George Levy wrote: A conscious entity is also information. I am assuming here that a conscious entity is essentially "software." George --~--~-~--~~~---~--~~ You received this message because you are

Re: Are First Person prime?

2006-08-08 Thread George Levy
1Z wrote: I don't even know what you mean by "first person". David Nyman wrote: Peter It's a bit late in the day perhaps to tell me you 'don't even know what I mean by first person'! However, I'll have another go. I'm concerned to distinguish two basic meanings, which

Re: Are First Person prime?

2006-08-08 Thread George Levy
David Nyman wrote: George Levy wrote: Thus first person perception of the world comes about when our own existence is contingent on our observation. Hi George I think I agree with this. It could correspond with what I'm trying to model in terms of FP1 etc. Perhaps

Re: Are First Person prime?

2006-08-09 Thread George Levy
David Nyman wrote: Third person perception comes about when several observers share the same perception because they share the same environmental contingencies on their existence. In effect these observers share the same "frame of reference." I see many similarities with relativity

Re: Are First Person prime?

2006-08-09 Thread George Levy
David Nyman wrote: George Levy wrote: Not at all. A bidirectional contingency is superfluous. The only relevent contingency is: If the observed event will result in different probabilities of survival for myself and for others observing me, then our perceptions will be different

Re: Are First Person prime? - time

2006-08-10 Thread George Levy
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: Bruno, I spent some (!) time on speculating on 'timelessness' - Let me tell up front: I did not solve it. Hi John For example, we can conceive of a consciousness generated by a computer operating in a time share mode where the time share occur every thousand

  1   2   3   >