Dreams and measure

2009-02-11 Thread Saibal Mitra
Welcome back Jack Mallah! I have a different argument against QTI. I had a nice dream last night, but unfortunately it suddenly ended. Now, this is empirical evidence against QTI because, according to the QTI, the life expectancy of the version of me simulated in that dream should have been

Changing the past by forgetting

2009-03-10 Thread Saibal Mitra
http://arxiv.org/abs/0902.3825 I've written up a small article about the idea that you could end up in a different sector of the multiverse by selective memory erasure. I had written about that possibility a long time ago on this list, but now I've made the argument more rigorous.

Re: Changing the past by forgetting

2009-03-15 Thread Saibal Mitra
to the Saibal Mitra backtracking procedure (in immortality discussions). I will take a further look on your paper. If valid, it should work in the comp frame. Amnesia could lead you to the original singularity, which could be a kind of blind spot of universal consciousness, except that with comp

Re: Changing the past by forgetting

2009-03-15 Thread Saibal Mitra
, 3/10/09, Saibal Mitra smi...@zeelandnet.nl wrote: http://arxiv.org/abs/0902.3825 I've written up a small article about the idea that you could end up in a different sector of the multiverse by selective memory erasure. I had written about that possibility a long time ago on this list, but now

Re: Changing the past by forgetting

2009-04-21 Thread Saibal Mitra
of a new measurement is not pre-determined in either case. - Original Message - From: Brent Meeker meeke...@dslextreme.com To: everything-list@googlegroups.com Sent: Sunday, March 15, 2009 08:06 PM Subject: Re: Changing the past by forgetting Saibal Mitra wrote: If we consider measuring

Extra explanation

2009-04-21 Thread Saibal Mitra
I just send a posting to the FOR list about my article. I did not have the time to reply to everyone on this list previously. Reading the old discussion again, I think that it was suggested that the exact quantum states matter, but they don't. It was only used to illustrate the thought experiment

Re: Changing the past by forgetting

2009-04-21 Thread Saibal Mitra
: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 07:27 PM Subject: Re: Changing the past by forgetting Accepting QM without collapse, I am not sure you can dump your memory in the environment in any truly irreversible way. Bruno On 21 Apr 2009, at 15:22, Saibal Mitra wrote: Yes, I agree, and that's then why

Re: Zuse Symposium: Is the universe a computer? Berlin Nov 6-7

2006-11-03 Thread Saibal Mitra
uncompoutable numbers, non countable sets etc. don't exist in first order logic, see here: http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/courses/logsys/low-skol.htm [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]: Ah the famous Juergen Schmidhuber! :) Is the universe a computer. Well, if you define 'universe' to

Re: testing

2006-12-20 Thread Saibal Mitra
The listserver was experiencing a lot of computer pain recently and that prevented it from function normally :) John Mikes [EMAIL PROTECTED]: This is the 3rd time I send a 'test' to myself. I receive list-post on this gmail address, but my mail does not show up, neither here nor on the

Re: Believing in Divine Destiny

2007-02-28 Thread Saibal Mitra
The only connection I can think of is as follows. For any given religious text there should exist a universe which best fits those text. Saibal - Original Message - From: Wei Dai [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: everything-list@googlegroups.com Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 11:55 PM Subject:

Re: How would a computer know if it were conscious?

2007-06-03 Thread Saibal Mitra
If it feels bafflement and confusion, then surely it is conscious :) An AI that takes information from books might experience similar qualia we can experience. The AI will be programmed to do certain tasks and it must thus have a notion of what it is doing is ok., not ok, or completely wrong.

Re: how to define ASSA (was: The ASSA leads to a unique utilitarism)

2007-10-05 Thread Saibal Mitra
1) looks better because there is no unambiguous definition of next. However, I don't understand the shared by everyone part. Different persons are different programs who cannot exactly represent the observer moment of me. As I see it, an observer moment is a snapshot of the universe taken by

Re: how to define ASSA

2007-10-05 Thread Saibal Mitra
in a universe described by the Standard Model. citeren Brent Meeker [EMAIL PROTECTED]: Saibal Mitra wrote: 1) looks better because there is no unambiguous definition of next. However, I don't understand the shared by everyone part. Different persons are different programs who cannot exactly represent

Re: Request to form 'Social Contract' with SAI

2007-10-15 Thread Saibal Mitra
The best thing you could do is to freeze your brain. I think that will preserve the connections between the neurons, although the cells will be destroyed. This will make it easier for a future civilization to regenerate you digitally - Original Message - From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Re: Quantum Immortality = no second law

2008-04-14 Thread Saibal Mitra
Citeren nichomachus [EMAIL PROTECTED]: In the description of the quantum immortality gedanken experiment, a physicist rigs an automatic rifle to a geiger counter to fire into him upon the detection of an atomic decay event from a bit of radioactive material. If the many worlds hypothesis is

Re: Quantum Immortality = no second law

2008-04-14 Thread Saibal Mitra
Citeren nichomachus [EMAIL PROTECTED]: In the description of the quantum immortality gedanken experiment, a physicist rigs an automatic rifle to a geiger counter to fire into him upon the detection of an atomic decay event from a bit of radioactive material. If the many worlds hypothesis is

QTI --- Expanding brains

2008-04-19 Thread Saibal Mitra
the size of the galaxy would still be me. :) - Original Message - From: Russell Standish [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 03:24 AM Subject: Re: Quantum Immortality = no second law On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 02:22:23AM +0200, Saibal Mitra wrote

Re: objections to QTI

2005-06-01 Thread Saibal Mitra
. Saibal - Original Message - From: Bruno Marchal [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: Saibal Mitra [EMAIL PROTECTED] Cc: Norman Samish [EMAIL PROTECTED]; everything-list@eskimo.com Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 03:24 PM Subject: Re: objections to QTI Le 01-juin-05, à 15:00, Saibal Mitra a écrit

Re: Many Pasts? Not according to QM...

2005-06-03 Thread Saibal Mitra
- Original Message - From: Hal Finney [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: everything-list@eskimo.com Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 05:00 AM Subject: Re: Many Pasts? Not according to QM... Stephen Paul King writes: I really do not want to be a stick-in-the-mud here, but what do we base the

Re: Observer-Moment Measure from Universe Measure

2005-06-05 Thread Saibal Mitra
- Original Message - From: Hal Finney [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: everything-list@eskimo.com Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 08:10 PM Subject: Observer-Moment Measure from Universe Measure To apply Wei's method, first we need to get serious about what is an OM. We need a formal model and

Re: where did the Big Bang come from?

2005-06-06 Thread Saibal Mitra
- Original Message - From: Jesse Mazer [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; everything-list@eskimo.com Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 07:53 PM Subject: RE: where did the Big Bang come from? Norman Samish wrote: Norman Samish wrote: And where did this mysterious Big Bang

Re: Observer-Moment Measure from Universe Measure

2005-06-08 Thread Saibal Mitra
I think one should define an observer moment as the instantaneous description of the human brain. I.e. the minimum amount of information you need to simulate the brain of a observer. This description changes over time due to interactions with the environment. Even if there were no interactions

Re: Observer-Moment Measure from Universe Measure

2005-06-10 Thread Saibal Mitra
- Original Message - From: Brent Meeker [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: Saibal Mitra [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 02:23 PM Subject: RE: Observer-Moment Measure from Universe Measure -Original Message- From: Saibal Mitra [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Wednesday

RE: Observer-Moment Measure from Universe Measure

2005-06-11 Thread Saibal Mitra
- Original Message - From: Brent Meeker [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: Saibal Mitra [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 02:23 PM Subject: RE: Observer-Moment Measure from Universe Measure -Original Message- From: Saibal Mitra [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Wednesday

Re: Observer-Moment Measure from Universe Measure

2005-06-12 Thread Saibal Mitra
- Original Message - From: Brent Meeker [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: Saibal Mitra [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2005 02:43 AM Subject: RE: Observer-Moment Measure from Universe Measure -Original Message- From: Saibal Mitra [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Sunday, June

RE: Observer-Moment Measure from Universe Measure

2005-06-12 Thread Saibal Mitra
- Original Message - From: Brent Meeker [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: Saibal Mitra [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Friday, June 10, 2005 06:41 PM Subject: RE: Observer-Moment Measure from Universe Measure -Original Message- From: Saibal Mitra [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Friday, June 10

Re: more torture

2005-06-13 Thread Saibal Mitra
Because no such thing as free will exists one has to consider three different universes in which the three different choices are made. The three universes will have comparable measures. The antropic factor of 10^100 will then dominate and will cause the observer to find himself having made choice

Re: more torture

2005-06-14 Thread Saibal Mitra
- Original Message - From: Stathis Papaioannou [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; everything-list@eskimo.com Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 08:06 AM Subject: Re: more torture Saibal Mitra writes: Because no such thing as free will exists one has to consider three different

Re: more torture

2005-06-15 Thread Saibal Mitra
- Original Message - From: Stathis Papaioannou [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; everything-list@eskimo.com Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 05:26 PM Subject: Re: more torture Saibal Mitra writes: Because no such thing as free will exists one has to consider three

Re: copy method important?

2005-06-18 Thread Saibal Mitra
You ca still create two identical systems starting from another system. E.g. in stimulated emission two photons are created in the same state. Another example is a Bose Einstein condensate, in which all the atoms are in the same state. Note that you can still teleport an unknown quantum state

Re: Reference class (was dualism and the DA)

2005-06-20 Thread Saibal Mitra
- Original Message - From: Jonathan Colvin [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: 'Russell Standish' [EMAIL PROTECTED] Cc: 'EverythingList' everything-list@eskimo.com Sent: Monday, June 20, 2005 09:52 PM Subject: Reference class (was dualism and the DA) Russell Standish wrote: (JC) If you want to

Re: Measure, Doomsday argument

2005-06-20 Thread Saibal Mitra
- Original Message - From: Quentin Anciaux [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: everything-list@eskimo.com Sent: Monday, June 20, 2005 11:37 PM Subject: Measure, Doomsday argument Hi everyone, I have some questions about measure... As I understand the DA, it is based on conditionnal

OMs are events

2005-07-31 Thread Saibal Mitra
I agree with the notion of OMs as events in some suitably chosen space. Observers are defined by the programs that generate them. If we identify universes with programs then observers are just embedded universes. An observer moment is just a qualia experienced by the observer, which is just an

Re: subjective reality

2005-08-12 Thread Saibal Mitra
Godfrey Kurtz wrote More specifically: I believe QM puts a big kabosh into any non-quantum mechanistic view of the physical world. If you don't get that, than maybe you don't get a lot of other things, Bruno. Sorry if this sounds contemptuous. It is meant to be. There aren't many

Re: subjective reality

2005-08-12 Thread Saibal Mitra
Message- From: Saibal Mitra [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED] Cc: everything-list@eskimo.com Sent: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 21:11:30 +0200 Subject: Re: subjective reality Godfrey Kurtz wrote More specifically: I believe QM puts a big kabosh into any non-quantum

Re: subjective reality

2005-08-19 Thread Saibal Mitra
this winter for the Colemanfest and he had the most fabulous animations... Godfrey Kurtz (New Brunswick, NJ) -Original Message- From: Saibal Mitra [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED] Cc: everything-list@eskimo.com Sent: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 01:34:19

How did it all begin?

2005-08-30 Thread Saibal Mitra
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0508429 Tegmark's essay was not well received (perhaps Godfrey didn't like it? :-) ) How did it all begin? Authors: Max Tegmark Comments: 6 pages, 6 figs, essay for 2005 Young Scholars Competition in honor of Charles Townes; received Dishonorable Mention How did

Re: How did it all begin?

2005-09-01 Thread Saibal Mitra
Hi Norman, I have no idea why it received a dishonorable mention. It could be because some physicists/cosmologists don't like anthropic reasoning. - Original Message - From: Norman Samish [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: Saibal Mitra [EMAIL PROTECTED] Cc: everything-list@eskimo.com Sent

Re: subjective reality

2005-09-05 Thread Saibal Mitra
- From: Saibal Mitra [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED] Cc: everything-list@eskimo.com Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2005 7:10 AM Subject: Re: subjective reality Hi Godfrey, It is not clear to me why one would impose constraints such as locality etc. here

Re: What Computationalism is and what it is *not*

2005-09-05 Thread Saibal Mitra
Hi Norman, A TM in our universe can simulate you living in a virtual universe. If your universe is described by the same laws of physics as ours, then most physicists believe that the TM would have to work in a nonlocal way from your perspective. Is this a problem? I don't think so, because the

Re: What Computationalism is and what it is *not*

2005-09-08 Thread Saibal Mitra
with the rest of the (real) universe this doesn't qualify as a ''bona fide'' simulation. Saibal - Original Message - From: Norman Samish [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: Saibal Mitra [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 05:48 AM Subject: Re: What Computationalism is and what

Re: Neutrino shield idea

2005-10-07 Thread Saibal Mitra
This means that beta decay proves your model wrong. - Original Message - From: John Ross [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: 'Stephen Paul King' [EMAIL PROTECTED]; everything-list@eskimo.com Sent: Saturday, October 08, 2005 12:35 AM Subject: RE: Neutrino shield idea Thanks for the paper relating to

Re: Neutrino shield idea

2005-10-10 Thread Saibal Mitra
There are a lot of experiments that have detected neutrinos and verified their properties (which are completely different from photons). - Original Message - From: John Ross [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: 'Saibal Mitra' [EMAIL PROTECTED]; everything-list@eskimo.com Sent: Monday, October 10

Re: Neutrino shield idea

2005-10-10 Thread Saibal Mitra
different from photons. I understand neutrinos travel at the speed of light. Only photons travel at the speed of light. -Original Message- From: Saibal Mitra [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Friday, October 07, 2005 4:30 PM To: John Ross; everything-list@eskimo.com

Re: Neutrino shield idea

2005-10-10 Thread Saibal Mitra
Faster than light effects lead to violations of causality. There are very stringent experimental constraints against such effects. - Original Message - From: John Ross [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: 'Russell Standish' [EMAIL PROTECTED] Cc: 'Stephen Paul King' [EMAIL PROTECTED];

Tegmark's prediction of neutrino masses

2005-10-10 Thread Saibal Mitra
Since we are discussing neutrinos, I thought it is fun to mention antropic constraints on neutrino masses derived by Tegmark, see here: http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0304536 Anthropic predictions for neutrino masses Authors: Max Tegmark (MIT), Alexander Vilenkin (Tufts), Levon Pogosian (Tufts)

Re: Quantum theory of measurement

2005-10-12 Thread Saibal Mitra
Hal gives the correct explanation of what's going on. In general, all you have to do to analyze the problem is to consider all contributions to a particular state and add up the amplitudes. The absolute value squared of the amplitude gives the probability, which may or may not contain an

Re: Quantum theory of measurement

2005-10-13 Thread Saibal Mitra
Well, as you can see here: http://cabtep5.cnea.gov.ar/particulas/daniel/curri/curreng.html He isn't very experienced yet. I know of some experienced professors of have made worse mistakes :) So, what goes wrong? Well, you don't get an interference pattern at one end even if you don't detect

Re: Quantum Immortality and Information Flow

2005-11-27 Thread Saibal Mitra
- Original Message - From: Jonathan Colvin [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: everything-list@eskimo.com Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2005 05:49 AM Subject: RE: Quantum Immortality and Information Flow Saibal wrote: The answer must be a) because (and here I disagree with Jesse), all that exists

Re: Quantum Immortality and Information Flow

2005-12-02 Thread Saibal Mitra
- Original Message - From: Brent Meeker [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: everything-list@eskimo.com Cc: everything-list@eskimo.com Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2005 07:41 PM Subject: Re: Quantum Immortality and Information Flow Saibal Mitra wrote: - Original Message - From: Jonathan

Re: Quantum Immortality and Information Flow

2005-12-02 Thread Saibal Mitra
- Original Message - From: Jonathan Colvin [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: everything-list@eskimo.com Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2005 10:02 PM Subject: RE: Quantum Immortality and Information Flow Saibal wrote: The answer must be a) because (and here I disagree with Jesse), all that

Re: Quantum Immortality and Information Flow

2005-12-02 Thread Saibal Mitra
- Original Message - From: Bruno Marchal [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: Saibal Mitra [EMAIL PROTECTED] Cc: Jesse Mazer [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Stathis Papaioannou [EMAIL PROTECTED]; everything-list@eskimo.com Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 04:47 PM Subject: Re: Quantum Immortality and Information

Re: Quantum Immortality and Information Flow

2005-12-02 Thread Saibal Mitra
the person not been killed. Then his measure would have doubled. But because he is killed in one of the two copies of Earth, his measure stays the same. In a quantum suicide experiment his measure would be reduced by a factor two. - Original Message - From: Saibal Mitra [EMAIL PROTECTED

Re: Quantum Immortality and Information Flow

2005-12-03 Thread Saibal Mitra
splitting? It seems to me that in both cases the relative measure of everything in the world stays the same, even though in absolute terms there is double of everything. Stathis Papaioannou Saibal Mitra writes: Correction, I seem to have misunderstood Statis' set up. If you really create

Re: Quantum Immortality and Information Flow

2005-12-03 Thread Saibal Mitra
- Original Message - From: Brent Meeker [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: Saibal Mitra [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2005 03:06 AM Subject: Re: Quantum Immortality and Information Flow Saibal Mitra wrote: - Original Message - From: Brent Meeker [EMAIL PROTECTED

Does God play dice?

2005-12-03 Thread Saibal Mitra
http://physicsweb.org/articles/world/18/12/2/1

Re: Quantum Immortality and Information Flow

2005-12-04 Thread Saibal Mitra
expectation of survival in this case more like the original teleportation example, or more like the MWI branching example? Stathis Papaioannou Saibal Mitra writes: This doubling of the absolute measure is important. In another posting you wrote about being teleported to many places and then being

A New Kind of Science Conference

2005-12-14 Thread Saibal Mitra
http://www.wolframscience.com/conference/2006/outline.html

Re: Quantum Immortality and Information Flow

2005-12-14 Thread Saibal Mitra
- Original Message - From: Johnathan Corgan [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: Stathis Papaioannou [EMAIL PROTECTED] Cc: everything-list@eskimo.com Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 10:39 AM Subject: Re: Quantum Immortality and Information Flow Stathis Papaioannou wrote: In the multiverse,

Re: Quantum Immortality and Information Flow

2005-12-16 Thread Saibal Mitra
. - Original Message - From: Bruno Marchal [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: Saibal Mitra [EMAIL PROTECTED] Cc: everything-list@eskimo.com Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2005 01:25 PM Subject: Re: Quantum Immortality and Information Flow Le 15-déc.-05, à 03:04, Saibal Mitra a écrit : To me

Re: Multiverse concepts in string theory

2006-02-14 Thread Saibal Mitra
Stephen, Theorists are always a bit ahead and they have already foundways to save SUSY from negative results from the LHC. Saibal - Original Message - From: Stephen Paul King To: everything-list@eskimo.com Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 1:04 PM Subject: Re:

Re: Multiverse concepts in string theory

2006-02-15 Thread Saibal Mitra
heory must be highly falsifiable, otherwise we are just going back to the days of Scholastic debates... http://clublet.com/why?AngelsOnTheHeadsOfPins Onward! Stephen - Original Message - From: Saibal Mitra To: Stephen Paul King ; every

Re: why can't we erase information?

2006-04-09 Thread Saibal Mitra
How would an observer know he is living in a universe in which information is lost? Information loss means that time evolution can map two different initial states to the same final state. The observer in the final state thus cannot know that information really has been lost. - Original

Re: why can't we erase information?

2006-04-11 Thread Saibal Mitra
-list@googlegroups.com Sent: Monday, April 10, 2006 03:22 AM Subject: Re: why can't we erase information? Saibal Mitra wrote: How would an observer know he is living in a universe in which information is lost? Information loss means that time evolution can map two different initial states

Re: why can't we erase information?

2006-04-11 Thread Saibal Mitra
- Original Message - From: Wei Dai [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: everything-list@googlegroups.com Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 01:46 AM Subject: Re: why can't we erase information? Saibal Mitra wrote: How would an observer know he is living in a universe in which information is lost

Re: why can't we erase information?

2006-05-06 Thread Saibal Mitra
This thread is still alive! It seems that information can't be erased in this thread either :) I think that information can't be erased because of the way time is (or should be) defined. If you take the observer moment approach to the multiverse, then you have to define a notion of time. That

Re: Smullyan Shmullyan, give me a real example

2006-05-11 Thread Saibal Mitra
Einstein seems to have believed in ''immortal observer moments''. In a BBC documentary about time it was mentioned that Einstein consoled a friend whose son had died in a tragic accident by saying that relativity suggests that the past and the future are as real as the present. Saibal

Re: Smullyan Shmullyan, give me a real example

2006-05-12 Thread Saibal Mitra
From: Patrick Leahy [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: everything-list@googlegroups.com Sent: Friday, May 12, 2006 12:56 PM Subject: Re: Smullyan Shmullyan, give me a real example On Fri, 12 May 2006, Saibal Mitra wrote: Einstein seems to have believed in ''immortal observer moments''. In a BBC

Re: Reasons and Persons

2006-05-29 Thread Saibal Mitra
There must exist a ''high level'' program that specifies a person in terms of qualia. These qualia are ultimately defined by the way neurons are connected, but you could also think of persons in terms of the high-level algorithm, instead of the ''machine language'' level algorithm specified by

Re: Reasons and Persons

2006-06-01 Thread Saibal Mitra
ambience - in a wider view: of the totality, with interction back and forth with all the changes that go on? Are you really interested only in the dance of those silly neurons? John M - Original Message - From: Saibal Mitra [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: everything-list@googlegroups.com Sent

Re: Teleportation thought experiment and UD+ASSA

2006-06-20 Thread Saibal Mitra
I don't understand why you consider the measures of the programs that do the simulations. The ''real'' measure should be derived from the algorithmic complexity of the laws of physics that describe how the computers/brains work. If you know for certain that a computation will be performed in this

Re: Teleportation thought experiment and UD+ASSA

2006-06-27 Thread Saibal Mitra
. Saibal - Original Message - From: Hal Finney [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: everything-list@googlegroups.com Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 08:49 AM Subject: Re: Teleportation thought experiment and UD+ASSA Saibal Mitra [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes: I don't understand why you consider

Re: A calculus of personal identity

2006-06-30 Thread Saibal Mitra
- Original Message - From: Stathis Papaioannou [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: everything-list@googlegroups.com Sent: Friday, June 30, 2006 09:23 AM Subject: Re: A calculus of personal identity Brent Meeker writes: I think it is one of the most profound things about consciousness that

Re: Interested in thoughts on this excerpt from Martin Rees

2006-07-26 Thread Saibal Mitra
- Original Message - From: Hal Finney [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: everything-list@googlegroups.com Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 08:28 AM Subject: Re: Interested in thoughts on this excerpt from Martin Rees The real problem is not just that it is a philosophical speculation, it is that

Re: Russell's book

2006-09-12 Thread Saibal Mitra
I think I can prove that QTI as intepreted in this list is false, I'll post the proof in a new thread. The only version of QTI that makes sense to me is this: All possible states exist out there in the multiverse. The observer moments are timeless objects so, in a certain sense, QTI is true. But

Proof that QTI is false

2006-09-12 Thread Saibal Mitra
QTI in the way defined in this list contradicts quantum mechanics. The observable part of the universe can only be in a finite number of quantum states. So, it can only harbor a finite number of observer moments or experiences a person can have, see here for details:

Re: Proof that QTI is false

2006-09-14 Thread Saibal Mitra
- Original Message - From: Brent Meeker [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: everything-list@googlegroups.com Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 5:47 AM Subject: Re: Proof that QTI is false Saibal Mitra wrote: QTI in the way defined in this list contradicts quantum mechanics. The observable

Re: Proof that QTI is false

2006-09-14 Thread Saibal Mitra
Standish [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: everything-list@googlegroups.com Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 4:31 AM Subject: Re: Proof that QTI is false On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 11:58:14PM +0200, Saibal Mitra wrote: QTI in the way defined in this list contradicts quantum mechanics. The observable part

Re: Measure of the prisoner

2000-09-14 Thread Saibal Mitra
Bruno wrote: - Oorspronkelijk bericht - Van: Marchal [EMAIL PROTECTED] Aan: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Verzonden: woensdag 29 maart 2000 11:40 Onderwerp: Re: Measure of the prisoner Suppose that the simulated prisoner is a ``digital ´´ copy of a real Saibal Mitra wrote

Re: excuse the triple (!) posting

2001-03-04 Thread Saibal Mitra
Maybe Jürgen can explain why the particular bitstring defining your previous post has such a large probability? - Original Message - From: Michael Rosefield To: Michael Rosefield ; Saibal Mitra ; [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2001 1:33 AM Subject

(Quantum) suicide not necessary?

2001-02-18 Thread Saibal Mitra
Instead of the previously discussed suicide experiments to test variousversions of many-worlds theories, one might consider a different approach. By deleting certain sectors of one's memory one should be able to travelto different branches of the multiverse. Suppose you are diagnosed with

Interesting article

2000-08-23 Thread Saibal Mitra
Recently an article appeared on the Los Alamos archive that explains how, for certain systems, dynamics can be derived from probabilistic arguments alone. I think that the formalism developed in the article can be generalised, and used to explain the physical laws we observe without

Re: The Rapidly-Accelerating Computer

2000-10-13 Thread Saibal Mitra
Wei Dai wrote: On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 01:13:35PM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: It may be impossible to construct such a machine in our universe, but can we achieve the same results by slowing down the consciousness of the observer observing a conventional computer? In other words,

Re: another anthropic reasoning

2001-03-21 Thread Saibal Mitra
Wei Dai wrote: This experiment is not a game, since the action of each participant only affects his or her own payoff, and not the payoff of the other player. Actually you can do this with just one participant, and maybe that will make the paradoxical nature of anthropic reasoning clearer.

Re: Who is the enemy?

2001-09-19 Thread Saibal Mitra
Bruno, what did you expect? You should expect Jacques to be a typical American. You know how Americans on opposite sides of an issue tend to behave. E.g. recounting of votes in Florida, pro life versus pro choice... Unthinkable here in Europe! Anyway, there is nothing wrong with Jacques, he is

Re: FIN insanity

2001-09-03 Thread Saibal Mitra
Jacques Mallah wrote: From: Saibal Mitra [EMAIL PROTECTED] There are different versions of QTI (let's not call it FIN). I'm certainly not going to call it a theory. Doing so lends it an a priori aura of legitimacy. Words mean things, as Newt Gingrich once said in one of his smarter

Re: Travelling to a different universe

2001-12-24 Thread Saibal Mitra
back. Saibal John Mikes wrote: OK, Saibal Mitra, you won. Are you happy now? Can you ever go back? John Mikes Suppose that every week I subject myself to a suicide experiment. I usea suicide machineto win that weeks lottery. After a few years I will have won hundreds

Re: Immortality

2001-09-09 Thread Saibal Mitra
I see that according to you Hal Ruhl qualifies as a copy of Hal Finney. - Oorspronkelijk bericht - Van: jamikes [EMAIL PROTECTED] Aan: [EMAIL PROTECTED] CC: Saibal Mitra [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Hal Ruhl [EMAIL PROTECTED] Verzonden: zondag 9 september 2001 15:06 Onderwerp: Immortality

Re: Journals

2001-07-05 Thread Saibal Mitra
Try Foundation of Physics Letters! Saibal Russel wrote: As many of you are aware, I have been attempting to publish Why Occams Razor for about 18 months now. In September, it will have been two years since I wrote the paper. I first tried Phys Rev - which rejected it on editorial policy

Re: Travelling to a different universe

2001-12-24 Thread Saibal Mitra
that quantum suicide actually works (as Larry Niven said about the matter transmitter which destroys you at point A and creates a perfect copy at point B, I wouldn't ride in the damn thing). Charles - Original Message - From: Saibal Mitra [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: everything [EMAIL PROTECTED

Re: Variations in measure

2001-12-09 Thread Saibal Mitra
Russel wrote: Saibal Mitra wrote: Hal wrote: One of the concepts we have explored is that all universes and hence all minds exist, but that some observer-moments have greater measure than others. This may help to explain why we observe the kind of universe that we do

Re: quantum immortality

2001-06-08 Thread Saibal Mitra
? Cheers Saibal Mitra wrote: The total number of states a certain person can be in is bounded. One might argue that according to quantum mechanics a certain person will always find himself alive, but all that means is that that person will always find himself in one out

Re: fin insanity

2001-09-08 Thread Saibal Mitra
Charles Goodwin wrote: -Original Message- From: Saibal Mitra [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] As I have written before, a person is just a computation being implemented somewhere. Suppose that the person has discovered that he suffers from a terminal ilness and he dies

Re: UDA last question (was UDA step 9 10).

2001-07-06 Thread Saibal Mitra
Questions 1) and 1a) have been answered in this article: http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/math-ph/0008018 Saibal Joel wrote: Bruno and fellow Everythingers... Sorry I've been disconnected for a while. I think Bruno's last message has really helped me to understand the Universal Dovetailer.

Re: Provable vs Computable

2001-05-05 Thread Saibal Mitra
George Levy wrote: [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: Example: a never ending universe history h is computed by a finite nonhalting program p. To simulate randomness and noise etc, p invokes a short pseudorandom generator subroutine q which also never halts. The n-th pseudorandom event of

Re: The Simulation Argument

2001-12-09 Thread Saibal Mitra
Nick Bostrom wrote: ``Saibal wrote: A proper calculation using Bayes' theorem is missing in the article. The conclusion is false. E.g. let's assume that (2) and (3) are false. So, we know with almost 100% certainty that we are not living in a simulation, and we know with almost 100% certainty

Re: The Simulation Argument

2001-12-02 Thread Saibal Mitra
A proper calculation using Bayes' theorem is missing in the article. The conclusion is false. E.g. let's assume that (2) and (3) are false. So, we know with almost 100% certainty that we are not living in a simulation, and we know with almost 100% certainty that a posthuman civilization is going

Re: The infinite list of random numbers

2001-11-09 Thread Saibal Mitra
All arrangemets are equally likely, but the probability is, of course, zero. So with probability one you don't get only zeros. There is a theorem that says that any finite arbitrary configuration will appear an infinite number of times in an infinite random sequence with probability one. Saibal

Re: Conventional QTI = False

2001-09-09 Thread Saibal Mitra
Hal Finney wrote: Saibal writes: According to the conventional QTI, not only do you live forever, you can also never forget anything. I don't believe this because I know for a fact that I have forgotten quite a lot of things that have happened a long time ago. Right, but to make the

Re: Journals

2001-07-05 Thread Saibal Mitra
Correction: the journal is called Foundations of Physics.

  1   2   3   >