Re: [Evolution-hackers] Evo master dumps core: missing GConf key

2009-12-06 Thread Jeff Cai
On Solaris, we used gconftool2 --makefile-install-rule to update the
schema files. But it also dumps this core. If I log out and log in
again, it works. 

Jeff

On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 16:08 -0500, Paul Smith wrote:
 On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 15:01 -0500, Matthew Barnes wrote:
  Run this as yourself (not super user):
  
  gconftool-2
  --install-schema-file .../shell/apps_evolution_shell.schemas
 
 That worked, although it still dumped core until I also added the
 evolution-mail.schemas file.  Now it starts OK.
 
 I do see a few weird things (minor glitches) in the presentation so I
 wonder if there are more of these I need to do?
 
 I've never needed to do this before when going to a newer version of
 Evo; is this supposed to happen automatically some how when a newer
 version starts up?
 
 Should I run --install-schema-file for all the *.schema files in that
 directory, just in case, or might that break things?
 
 
 Cheers!
 
 ___
 Evolution-hackers mailing list
 Evolution-hackers@gnome.org
 http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-hackers


___
Evolution-hackers mailing list
Evolution-hackers@gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-hackers


Re: [Evolution-hackers] Evo master dumps core: missing GConf key

2009-11-24 Thread Matthew Barnes
On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 13:19 -0500, Paul Smith wrote:
 but, when I try to run it it dumps core immediately:
 
 (evolution:30186): e-data-server-DEBUG: Loading categories from 
 /home/psmith/.evolution/categories.xml
 (evolution:30186): e-data-server-DEBUG: Loaded 29 categories
 
 evolution-shell-ERROR **: No schema for GConf key 
 '/apps/evolution/shell/file_chooser_folder'
 aborting...
 Aborted (core dumped)

Run this as yourself (not super user):

gconftool-2 --install-schema-file .../shell/apps_evolution_shell.schemas

Matthew Barnes

___
Evolution-hackers mailing list
Evolution-hackers@gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-hackers


Re: [Evolution-hackers] Evo master dumps core: missing GConf key

2009-11-24 Thread Matthew Barnes
On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 16:08 -0500, Paul Smith wrote:
 I've never needed to do this before when going to a newer version of
 Evo; is this supposed to happen automatically some how when a newer
 version starts up?

Evolution is now extracting information from those schemas as part of a
new centralized settings management subsystem, so the schemas have to be
there whereas before they didn't (and in fact we were missing quite a
few in older versions).

The Makefiles are set up automatically install schema files, but only if
you are -NOT- using a custom install prefix, which I assume you are (I
am too).  I'm not sure I fully understand the rationale for that, but I
looked at some other GNOME modules that I consider to be well maintained
and they're using similar logic.  I assume the intent is to help avoid
screwing up your GConf settings.


 Should I run --install-schema-file for all the *.schema files in that
 directory, just in case, or might that break things?

I think just as needed is fine.  I've been careful to only add new
schemas and not change or remove existing ones.

I suspect there's a better way to manage this, but it hasn't occurred to
me yet.

Matthew Barnes

___
Evolution-hackers mailing list
Evolution-hackers@gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-hackers


Re: [Evolution-hackers] Evo master dumps core: missing GConf key

2009-11-24 Thread Matthew Barnes
On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 19:15 -0500, Paul Smith wrote:
 I am, yes.  But I don't get your last sentence: is there a way to use
 these without screwing up the GConf settings (using an alternate gconf
 database for example)?

In fact there is: see the Configuration Sources section of [1].

But I think the Makefile.am logic is oriented to the more common case,
where you have a system-wide, let's call it official Evolution install
and one or more private builds -- possibly of differing versions -- for
testing or hacking or whatever.  All of these builds, regardless of
installation prefix, by default install their GConf schema files to
~/.gconf.

So I assume the Makefile.am logic is trying to determine whether it's an
official build or not, and only allow official builds to overwrite
the previous schema files in ~/.gconf.  But in this age of pre-compiled
binary distribution the policy seems outdated, unless I'm totally off
the mark here.  Most distros block make install from installing schema
files and do it themselves in a post-install phase.

If someone on the list is reading this and knows more about it, please
do jump in here.  The GConf schema install policy is clearly an idiom
among GNOME modules, but I'm fuzzy on the origins and rationale for it.

[1] http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/


 On the other hand, I actually do agree that running make install
 should NOT mess with your GConf settings; that definitely feels wrong.
 I was actually thinking that running evolution (the first time) would
 handle the transitions for you.

When you say GConf settings, keep in mind the distinction between the
-value- of a GConf key and the -schema- for a GConf key.  The schema
provides the key's type, default value, and a translated description of
what it's used for.  The -user- sets the value (what I assume you mean
by setting).  Installing a schema file never alters the values.  The
problems arise when the value and schema are inconsistent (e.g. value is
a string, schema expects an integer).  Evolution can't handle that.


 Next question: what's the right thing to do with bugs or issues I find?
 Do they go in bugzilla, even though the code is not released yet?  Or do
 you prefer to see issues here on this list?

You mean bugs or issues in git master?

Use your best judgment.  Safe answer is always Bugzilla.  But if it's
something that worked yesterday and now suddenly doesn't (build breakage
or some other careless boo-boo), posting to the list will usually get
you a quick response.

Matthew Barnes

___
Evolution-hackers mailing list
Evolution-hackers@gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-hackers


Re: [Evolution-hackers] Evo master dumps core: missing GConf key

2009-11-24 Thread Paul Smith
On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 15:01 -0500, Matthew Barnes wrote:
 Run this as yourself (not super user):
 
 gconftool-2
 --install-schema-file .../shell/apps_evolution_shell.schemas

That worked, although it still dumped core until I also added the
evolution-mail.schemas file.  Now it starts OK.

I do see a few weird things (minor glitches) in the presentation so I
wonder if there are more of these I need to do?

I've never needed to do this before when going to a newer version of
Evo; is this supposed to happen automatically some how when a newer
version starts up?

Should I run --install-schema-file for all the *.schema files in that
directory, just in case, or might that break things?


Cheers!

___
Evolution-hackers mailing list
Evolution-hackers@gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-hackers